Uintas Conditions 2018

In a lot of ways, doing it in the winter could be significantly easier than doing it at the wrong time during the melt.
my impression is that the melt is happening? looks like temps will be in the high 60s

Boo! First fire of the season...

“The Broadhead fire is located in the Murdock Basin area just off of Forest Service road #416 approximately one mile east of Highway 150 (Mirror Lake Highway) on the Heber-Kamas Ranger District. The fire was reported on June 4th. Cause of the fire is still under investigation. Fire is burning in heavy timber with thick understory. One engine and engine crew are on scene. The fire has burned approximately tenth of an acre. Smoke maybe visible from surrounding areas please do not report.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boo! First fire of the season...

“The Broadhead fire is located in the Murdock Basin area just off of Forest Service road #416 approximately one mile east of Highway 150 (Mirror Lake Highway) on the Heber-Kamas Ranger District. The fire was reported on June 4th. Cause of the fire is still under investigation. Fire is burning in heavy timber with thick understory. One engine and engine crew are on scene. The fire has burned approximately tenth of an acre. Smoke maybe visible from surrounding areas please do not report.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ugh. Nice and early. Blast that crappy winter we just had.

Good news...

"Broadhead fire, located in the Murdock Basin area just off of Forest Service road #416 approximately one mile east of Highway 150 (Mirror Lake Highway) on the Heber-Kamas Ranger District was 100% contained and controlled today, June 6th at 2:00 p.m. at 10th of an acre. "

Good news...

"Broadhead fire, located in the Murdock Basin area just off of Forest Service road #416 approximately one mile east of Highway 150 (Mirror Lake Highway) on the Heber-Kamas Ranger District was 100% contained and controlled today, June 6th at 2:00 p.m. at 10th of an acre. "
Great! More of a fire wannabe then a wild fire. Bullet dodged.

Looking for news of the high country routes now so I can scratch an itch.

Dead horse pass conditions anyone? Upper Rock Creek Basin?

Rocky Sea pass even just glassed from the MLH road from the viewpoint?

There was huge towering cumulous clouds over the Western Uintah highlands this evening and even a tornado touched down outside of Laramie... Spring conditions!

Last edited:
Went up to the top of Watson today. Couldn't see Rocky Sea, but nearby Cyclone Pass looked clear on the west side, at least.

_MG_0021.jpg

Can't help with beta on Dead Horse or the like, but I can say two weeks have made a world of difference. Snow is mostly gone around Trial Lake, only drifts in shade above about 10,500 and cornices/chutes on the slopes, primarily northeastern aspects.

_MG_6286.jpg

Wildflowers are popping in the basins, probably peak or near peak.

Very helpful Daveee! Thanks! you are right, the High Country is open for business. How hard is the Watson ascent? Bugs?

That second pic is a beaut!

Very helpful Daveee! Thanks! you are right, the High Country is open for business. How hard is the Watson ascent? Bugs?

I ascended the southeast ridge. Typical Uinta rock scramble. A little more steep than I liked in a place or two but nothing crazy. Descended the northeast ridge. Much easier scramble there.

Bugs were not an issue yet.

Grandaddy Lake as of this last weekend.
MrpjZYvH_c7dePiOochUw3teZ6P7XYLOV1ZfTpcfw1Xsq2MlHBidh93BEGEQ7efktFQCLs-XInCd_A72_xwu_I9xUNwMThw8bgOmz5bGauGxDLMDtSAbSsrGJUDCQD67w4GdlkxQDZ37WS0zh2ckJdW8453S7dy4eEOYpYLZ1gjLcBAJBATiT0dO-j68vkpMDpA-9MDc7XV3jScRRu3LsqYlkEIJSxshugqAvG1rKVMRayx4bSmgffoQYMKYg0D-T4LFx94JH-otDCcOBBFoR6z0vxUvZ_h2smRpLwizZjRZNeCrgDgeV7hCbzObE5AqZPfT8E2LTk6fYKr3JFpZMpSe0ehvwNvY50n9FZvMZ-aimAhZmWl-RXuAOdhgpQXB3SYHrNQAmrJzEBFm97B5_vtwBMH8EeMD298aToUC-IdrmpsHUYfbQ6BP5HhMKXwIJPzf2XWTmQE-ed9btwLFrASa8R3W96M1a1jU6yCJPE8XO78Kgm2rCHzlr3MoKrMHv86hthqW1d91DWnV6E5jLI40koWo1RfSwAFLZtrvRrzYT3vG42wpNVSgBOv48-JRR3mRp-mrjtVvym6pdF3JhHOB1am0Jx4TkOWPspTA=w1435-h1076-no

also...

Mosquito Report: Anytime I stopped to take a pic at the edge of a lake or along any other marshy area, I was instantly plagued and plastered with mosquitos. Only by hiking vigorously and by camping deeper in a heavily wooded area up shore from the lake I was near were they much less of a threat, however, I did wake up to one poking around the mesh of my tent.

Mosquito Report: Anytime I stopped to take a pic at the edge of a lake or along any other marshy area, I was instantly plagued and plastered with mosquitos. Only by hiking vigorously and by camping deeper in a heavily wooded area up shore from the lake I was near were they much less of a threat, however, I did wake up to one poking around the mesh of my tent.

That was my experience as well last weekend. I was fine while walking but once I stopped near water I was covered!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk