To Do in 2014

Funny...all this talk of peak bagging and Box Elder and my friend just barely told me that he and his friend are doing Box Elder (via Sleigh Runner) tomorrow (Saturday). I think I'll join them! Meeting at Tibble Fork at 7am if anyone's interested. =)

let us know how it was. It looks like there's still a fair amount of snow up there.

Now that the year is almost halfway along, it's time to check back on the 2014 lists. Find your original post, then reply/quote it and edit it to add your updates and track your progress. Fall and winter is going to come fast, so now's the time to write things on your calendar in ink!

My original list for 2014:
Cut out the forms and build the strongback for my cedar strip canoe- strongback is 100% done, forms are 100% done
Big Bend National Park- got struck down in favor of Carlsbad Caverns & Guadalupe Peak in March.
Kanarra Creek- looking at August
Saguaro National Park- done! Visited in February.
Grand Canyon- done! Visited in May.
White Sands National Monument- Done- visited in January.
Hike Miller Peak (ultraprominent)- still need to get this on the calendar, maybe later this month or July.
Sit down with a calendar and plan things better- minor success, could see improvement.

Additions with date/timeframe:
fit in a short family backpacking trip (September?)
build a canoe paddle- July
laminate the stems for my canoe- July
Cave of the Bells- July

Last edited:
Here were my plans. A couple of them didn't pan out, but I still got out those weekends and went somewhere else. If I crossed it off, that means I did it.

January
Bluff Hot Air Balloon Festival, Comb Ridge, Valley of the Gods, + Ruins

February
Moab (Via Ranch Road, to Sand Dunes, etc)
Bone Cave

March
Maze District, Dollhouse

April
Blue John Canyon

May
Reservation Ridge, Nine Mile Canyon, San Rafael Swell
Late May: Canoe/Kayak the Green River - 3 night

June
Escalante, Coyote Gulch, Calf Creek Falls, Boulder Mail Trail

July
Elephant Hill, Beef Basin, Blanding
Lake Hardy, Lone Peak, Pfeiferhorn
Uintas

Aug
Ouray Colorado
Wind Rivers

Sept
California Trip: Yosemite (Half Dome), Santa Barbara, Big Sur, Monterrey, San Francisco, Redwoods

Oct
Kanab, Buckskin, Barracks Trail

Nov
Thanksgiving Weekend: Goshute Caves, NV + Great Basin NP

Dec
Ashley National Forest Yurts
Bryce Canyon Snowshoe + XC Ski

Good idea, @uintahiker.

I love this thread already. Great to get the ideas, and the stoke, flowing.

With a new furry hiking buddy in my family, I am changing a lot of my plans to dog-friendly locations. I'm hoping that with Sage around to keep me company, I'll be more prone to solo trips this year. I like people and all, but it's such a pain to coordinate schedules sometimes.

So here's what's on my list so far...

For winter/spring:
Boulder Mail Trail
Davis Gulch
Hackberry Canyon
Choprock/Silver Falls loop
Wire Pass to Lee's Ferry
The Barracks

Gotta fit some rivers in there too...

This summer I had a few things on my list in National Parks, namely the Teton Crest Trail and some paddling in Yellowstone, but I might rethink that to keep things dog-friendly. I'm seriously considering giving the Highline Trail another go in July/August and I can definitely see a late summer visit to Titcomb Basin and/or the Grave Lake Loop in my future.

In September, I've blocked out dates with ideal tides to go backpack Olympic National Park.

Bring on 2014.

My plans have been a bit turned upside down by the new boat and scoring a renewed contract to write another 60 trail guides for Intermountain Healthcare. I had hoped to do a backpack and a boat trip most months (good on the knee!), but it's ended up being a boat trip and a ton of day hikes instead of the backpacking. I did get my BMT done in January though. Had to cancel my Wire Pass to Lee's Ferry trip. Right now I'm just focused on getting my work hikes done so very little planning on other trips. Most of my remaining work hikes are just local day hikes but there are couple goodies I'll be doing soon including:

Timpanogos
Deseret Peak
Ashdown Gorge

Here's my original post:

I’ve been looking at doing a South Kaibab/Bright Angel Trail backpack in the Grand Canyon. That would probably be a fall trip if I do it because I’d want to be in top shape. Another trip that's really high on my list is to backpack the Paria River Canyon. Hint, hint @Nick.:) I would love to finally hit Yellow Rock, and the Wahweap Hoodoos, maybe do the Bull Valley Gorge/Sheep Creek/ Willis Creek Loop as an overnighter or Round Valley Draw/Hackberry Canyon. I still want to do the Escalante River Trail with a jaunt up Death Hollow. Upper and Lower Muley Twist in Capitol Reef would be awesome. Grand Gulch is another one I'd love to check off this year. I’m entertaining the idea of going to Joshua Tree for Thanksgiving.. There are several backpacks in the Uintas that I really want to do, and I really want to see Titcomb Basin and/or Green River Lakes in the Winds. There’s also the possibility of a Yosemite trip in June or a Four Corners spring or fall trip. Finally, it would make me really happy if I could complete my Colorado fall colors I had planned for this year. Obviously I can’t do it all, but once I get a chance to really look at the calendar and figure out what I can reasonably accomplish this year I can start whittling down my list and firming up some plans.Yay for 2014!

Some things have been shuffled or put off until later. Others are still coming down the pipe. I did finally hike Yellow Rock and explore part of Grand Gulch. Yvonne and I scheduled time for Lower Muley twice in April and got rained out both times, so we plan to try again in September. Paria Canyon has been bumped to spring of 2015. I did a couple backpacking trips that weren't on this list, to Zion and Island In The Sky, and have also done some great day hikes this year.

Next weekend my son and I leave for Yosemite, and I'm still planning on getting in a couple backpacks in the Uintas this summer. I'm not sure if I'll end up making it to the Winds or not. If so, it would likely be Green River Lakes this time. Yvonne and I are now planning to backpack Ice Lakes Basin in July. I'm still planning to do my fall colors in Colorado trip, and Thanksgiving weekend will either be the Grand Canyon backpack or a visit to Joshua Tree.

I'm going to add Mt. Timpanogos to my list. I plan on making it an overnighter, but we'll see how that pans out.

I'll probably end up doing this in August or September. Keep me up to date and maybe I can join you. I know of a handful of really really nice sites in different areas away from the more crowded crowded areas and the main trails.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Timp is on my list too, but I'm not sure if I can swing it this year.
I couldn't realize most of my plans so far, first because of school and then I have a bummed knee with a torn meniscus, so I need to be extra careful.
I still plan to do a lot of mountain trips this summer, I just need to be more careful than usually.

My plans so far are Coyote Gulch in June, Ice Lake Basin in Colorado in July, Four Lakes Basin, Ibantik Lake and eventually Kermsuh Lake in the Uintas end of July.
August I will spend 10 days in Yellowstone and will then backpack 10 days in the Winds.

After that I do not have any plans but I'm looking for something fun for Labor Day

Last edited:
Got a Grand Gulch trip in. That's about it. Finalized our 10 day, north end WInd River traverse. Weekend trips to Yellowstone coming up. Can't plan to much else cause of work.

It's fun to hear everyone's plans for the year, and it looks like I am not the only one who has had a lot of their plans collapse. I don't get to do many overnighters as it's hard to leave my wife alone with the younglings, but she is very patient with me through July and August and lets me run off a fair bit on some multi-day trips. At this point my plans are.

July 3rd-4th - Timp overnighter, hopefully it's doable at this point.
July 11th-12th - Cutthroat Lake Uintas, an overnight with my wife, it will be her first backpacking experience.
July 17th-19th - Bear River Cabins - Christmas Meadows - Spending a couple of night in the cabins with the family. I will probably do a few dayhikes while we are there. Bald Mt. most likely since I have never done it.
July 24th-26th - Something Uintas. Allsop/Priord or Middle Basin.
July 31st-2nd - Something Uintas. Allsop/Priord or Middle Basin.
August 9th-17th - Olympic National park. I'm super excited about this one. We will be camping on the beach.
August 22nd-23rd - Something Uintas. Maybe Amethyst Lake.
Sometime in August - Overnighter at community meadows below Box Elder Peak. Possible accent of Box Elder the next morning.
Sometime in September - Overnighter at Silver Glance Lake, possibly hiking over and out through Red Pine.
Sometime in October - Subway and the Narrows, hopefully I will get permits.

...and probably many day hikes squeezed in throughout there, My work hours are flexible so I can often get a quick 3-4 mile hike in before work if I wake up early before sunrise. Plus day hikes on Saturdays throughout September-October.

November-April I don't usually do much and I try to focus on other things, but I really need to get down to the desert more this coming winter, not going anywhere for 6 months kills my spirits, and my body.

I really wanted to get up to Oregon/Columbia Gorge this fall for the fall colors/waterfalls. I love hiking in the Gorge, but I don't think that will happen until next year.

Just found out I have July 2nd-5th off. I never get days like this off. Now the decision is do I go anywhere? My thought for now is maybe a quick local overnighter.

I'm thinking Deseret would make a nice fall hike with the Aspen's over there. I have tentatively penciled it in for Late September.
I've done Deseret Peak in the fall it is gorgeous. All my pictures are on my old phone memory card but you can somewhat see the aspens.

Also one of my favorite Utah peaks.

430120_354849964603972_681401772_n.jpg

Anything that gets me and my kids outside is on my list. To start I want to do a backcountry camping trip with my 13 yr old son. after that my only limiting factor is my budget

So to up date this list, This weekend is the camping trip, it got extended from an overnighter to a 2 night trip. Also, I will be going to Lake George, NY in Aug for vacation, I want to finally hike Prospect Mountian this year. I want to try and step foot on the Appalachian Trail this year or next and hike at least a section of it. Then I want to start tackling the "High Peaks" in the Adarondaks and also hike all the peaks in the Catskills as well.

If things go as I am hoping, I should be getting in lots of hiking and camping in the next year or 2.

I guess as the thread originator, I should update.

I'm hoping to get on the San Juan and Muddy Creek, backpack East Fork of the Virgin and/or Buckskin Gulch. I wouldn't rule out making another attempt at seeing the Green/Colorado confluence from the north, but maybe using a different route.

So far, I've done none of that. I lost the lottery for the San Juan and Muddy didn't run high enough. Instead I ran the Moab daily in a whitewater kayak (my first time ever in one) and the Green section A. Desolation Canyon has replaced the San Juan if I don't wuss out before September.

Parunuweap and/or Buckskin could still happen, but not until cooler weather. In the mean time, it's Uintas season.

Bumping this again now that the year is winding down. Who did what they planned? I know my year turned out quite different...

From my original list:

For winter/spring:
Boulder Mail Trail
Davis Gulch
Hackberry Canyon
Choprock/Silver Falls loop
Wire Pass to Lee's Ferry
The Barracks

After the winter BMT trip, I scored another contract to do 60 more trail guides for IHC. I snuck in one nice 2-night backpack with @slc_dan in March, but that pretty well knocked me out of recreational hiking until July by which point my knee was falling apart. Good thing I bought a boat or else I would have barely gotten any bag nights at all!

It seems like my years always end up different than what I originally envision. While I didn't end up doing a number of things on my list, I did hit Yellow Rock, Grand Gulch, Yosemite, took my Colorado fall color tour, and I got in several backpacks in the Uintas this year. This year has been extremely busy with work, and it definitely cut into my free time, so I didn't get out as much as I did last year. However, the time I did spend in the outdoors this year was really good, and I'm proud that I managed to accomplish as much as I did despite the time constraints.

Nick, I'd do the barracks / Paranuweep again