To Do in 2014

Nick, I'd do the barracks / Paranuweep again

I'd say it's on my list for this year but I still don't know what I'll even be capable of yet (new knee). All of my plans so far seem to be revolving around the boat and hikes from there. If I can pull off the barracks it probably wouldn't be until fall. :(

Reactions: Bob
Nick, it's an awesome idea to resurrect this thread! Who cares what we wanted to do, what matters is what we actually did do!

Here is what I put up:

Happy Canyon Narrows (CHECK!), Red Breaks(no), High Spur(CHECK!), see what I can see down on the Res, and on the way go to sidestep canyon and the Wahweap hoodoos, Zion Subway and take a canyoneering class(CHECK on the class) Oh and maybe go hike in Oregon at the Columbia river gorge waterfalls.

Missed many of those, and I added a few more failed attempts, but here are my accomplishements this year, in order:

1.The Maze
2.Notch Peak
3. Goblin, little wild horse, and arches in winter.
4. Jone's Hole, Fantasy Canyon
5. Canyoneering class, snake alley slot
6. Cirque Of The Towers
7. Maybird Lakes
8. Near death in Shimrock Canyon
9. Happy Canyon, Little Egypt, High Spur
10. Keyhole Canyon, Observation Point, lower red cave

And more to come this year, white pocket and more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
March
:thumbsdown:Camping and then hot pools @ Lava Hot Springs, Idaho
April
:thumbsup:Camp and hike @ Zion NP
May
:thumbsup:Camping near Green Canyon and then hot pools @ Driggs, Idaho
June
:thumbsup:Glacier climb of Middle Teton @ GTNP
July
:thumbsup:Phelps Lake backpacking with wife and kids @ GTNP
:thumbsup:Camping/Hiking in Bridger-Teton NF (probably hike Table Rock/Mountain again this year) @ Driggs, Idaho
:thumbsup:Upper Palisades/Waterfall Canyon @ Idaho
:thumbsup:Glacier National Park
August
:thumbsup:Sawtooths/Redfish Lake/White Clouds @ Stanley, Idaho
:thumbsup:The Gorge @ Washington

I flaked on one trip but hit everything else.

Here was the list I made:

1. Winter trip in February where ever there is snow. I have 10 days off between the holidays and I'm going to check the forecast a week in advance and head to where ever it's snowing. Hoping for the Grand Canyon and Bryce. The full moon will be setting just over the Colorado river and if the weather cooperates the shots could be spectacular! I also want to get that shot of Bryce with snow under a full moon, even if I have to do it in subzero temps. Also want to try a long exposure of a winter sunrise in Bryce.

No snow of note anywhere in winter 2014! Made three trips to Utah and the Grand Canyon looking for it and got record high temps instead
. Hoping winter 2015 will be much better.

2. Taking my two nieces, 12 and 15, who just moved to California from Estonia to Zion in June and will introduce them to the outdoors. It's going to be a girl's adventure week! We're going to learn outdoor practices, canyoneering, a trip up the Narrows. They are so excited, but not nearly as much as me!

Oh man, did we have the trip of a lifetime! We had such a good time that Girl's Trip 2015 is already scheduled for next June.

3. Photograph Dusy Basin in the Eastern Sierra at night. It's at 12,000 feet and last time I was there I puked my guts up but I'm not letting that get in my way!

Camped in Kearsarge Pass instead, got some cool pics of that at night.

4. Photograph lightning at night over the Grand Canyon in summer. This time I'm going to try to get some canyon details, so shooting for a night with a 20% moon in the early morning.

Only got to the Grand Canyon once this summer, for 24 hours. No lightning.

5. Photograph autumn, anywhere! I missed it this year.

11 days in Utah in late October, got some of the best pics I've ever taken. :D

6. Drive on some dirt roads in Utah and take photographs of places I've never seen before!

I definitely tested out the AWD on my car :D

In addition to what I planned, I had an awesome spontaneous backpacking trip with @pixie1339, @steve and @Tess in Kolob Canyon, and I met up with @Miss Buffalo later on in the year. 4 new friends to share adventures with!

I'm not planning too much, but a few things I've been meaning to do for years.

the maze.
Hall's Creek into Steven's canyon, and out Scorpion, or Coyote gulch.
some good backcountry Grand Canyon
more Dirty Devil
connect a route from Northern Paria into Hackberry. (there's plenty of routes, I'll probably head up the same canyon @Jammer did)

Winter camping has been great, but I could really use a good 2-3 day spring time backpacking trip.

Edit: oh yeah! I'd like learn how to do some kind of rope assisted peak in the Winds or Uintas, as well as something slightly technical, such as Lower Black Box in the swell.

Looking back, I had a much better than expected year, even if I didn't do all of these.

I did get into Steven's Canyon-Spectacular. I still have a bunch of photos to process from that trip, but would love to spend more time up there.

Did a GREAT backcountry route in Grand Canyon with @langutah and @NateGeesaman

Didn't connect the route due to unforeseen issues, but had an amazing time doing most of the route in Upper Paria wandering.

Didn't get into the Dirty again, but would love to. This was replaced by several fantastic trips, Wingate Wandering with @Nick, 4 trips into the Uintas, a couple Peaks in the Winds, etc, etc. I'll hit 50 this year with one more trip, before I head to Peru. Just too good. I don't know if I can match this next year. I'm super grateful to everyone, and everything that has made it happen. Hooray BCP!

Grand Gulch backpacking
Wind Rivers backpacking
Yellowstone Day hikes
Idaho Lost Rivers backpacking
Washington / Oregon / Utah on Wildland fires

About normal

March: Moab
April: Coyote Gulch
June: Labyrinth Canyon
July: Uintas
Sept: Little Wildhorse Canyon & Goblin Valley

I'm looking to test my teen agers a little more this summer in the Uintas. Would like to do a 30 mile route.
Any route suggestions for the neighborhood of 30 miles would be appreciated.

Got 'em done with only a slight variation in that I did Goblin Valley in late March, and didn't do LWHC due to rain.

I can honestly say that it's the great people here on BCP that made my Coyote Gulch, Labyrinth Canyon & Uintas trips possible. Much thanks to all of you who share your experience & knowledge.

I had quite a few plans but couldn't realize about 80% of it since I got my knee injury in May and lost the entire summer of awesome hiking due to it. I did a lot of car camping and paddling instead.

I think next year I won't do a lot of long backpacks and have to learn to find easy trips ,because my knee is inrepariable and permanently damaged with chronic joint inflammation and the loss of most of its cartilage. Big bummer, but I guess there are still ways to get out.
If I will have good days, I will do some shorter backpacks in the Uintas or somewhere else, otherwise it will primarily be car camping.

Even with all the negative sides this year I had some great trips and met a lot of great people.

I had quite a few plans but couldn't realize about 80% of it since I got my knee injury in May and lost the entire summer of awesome hiking due to it. I did a lot of car camping and paddling instead.

I think next year I won't do a lot of long backpacks and have to learn to find easy trips ,because my knee is inrepariable and permanently damaged with chronic joint inflammation and the loss of most of its cartilage. Big bummer, but I guess there are still ways to get out.
If I will have good days, I will do some shorter backpacks in the Uintas or somewhere else, otherwise it will primarily be car camping.

Even with all the negative sides this year I had some great trips and met a lot of great people.

Sounds familiar. I know you don't want to, but there is no sense in waiting if a knee replacement is all that will help you. Get it so you can hike and do the things you love while the rest of your body still can! Just my .02. ;)

Sounds familiar. I know you don't want to, but there is no sense in waiting if a knee replacement is all that will help you. Get it so you can hike and do the things you love while the rest of your body still can! Just my .02. ;)

I guess sooner or later I have to deal with it and face reality.
I'm still hesitant, especially after the long recovery I had with that knee many years ago when they reconstructed it. I was told sooner or later I will be a candidate for a new knee, but after the last few years went so well I simply ignored the fact.

At least one good thing happened while hiking was limited: I really started to love to take my inflatable everywhere.
And next year I will definitely add a few more paddle trips.

At least one good thing happened while hiking was limited: I really started to love to take my inflatable everywhere.
And next year I will definitely add a few more paddle trips.

I hear that. I've really come to enjoy 'boat camping'. Partly because I can do it no matter how bad my knee hurts, but mostly because I've finally found the kind of camping my wife really enjoys so we can do it together. That's priceless.

I hear that. I've really come to enjoy 'boat camping'. Partly because I can do it no matter how bad my knee hurts, but mostly because I've finally found the kind of camping my wife really enjoys so we can do it together. That's priceless.

Yeah, having Audra and all the dogs with you is priceless.
And you can go to really cool places without hiking for miles where you have to carry all your stuff.
I really enjoyed all your boat trips and found quite a few places I want to take my inflatable next year.
As much as I love backpacking, boatpacking is really cool, too.

I didn't have the epic year I wanted but it was still a good year. A few small trips to the Uintas. A 9 day trip to the Northwest was awesome. Zion in the fall. Finally got up Timpanogos again after 15 years. My goal was to get 250 trail miles, I only got a little over 150, but next year should be better.

I had a pretty damn good year.

I never posted up my plans/goals for 2014 because I know that every year they drastically change and that's not always a bad thing...it's just how it goes. This year was no exception to that. I managed to get to a lot of places that have been on my 'list' for a long time (Bluff Balloon Festival, Yellow Rock, Maze Overlook, Coyote Gulch, Calf Creek Falls, The Subway, The Narrows, Salt Creek Canyon, Mee Canyon Alcove, etc...), which was nice. I also ended up doing some things that weren't on my list that just so happened to come my way (i.e. hiking Mount Whitney in California).

I had a goal of climbing 5 Colorado 14ers this year and met it and I got to take Diane on her first. I'm on track for camping 50 nights this year (as long as I can get one more in) and camping at least once each month of the year.

I took Diane on her very first backpacking trip back in June, and since then we have gone on a couple of others together. A few weeks ago she told me that next year she wants to do more backpacking, so I know what we'll be doing more of next year :)

@Bob @Nick

I for sure would do Barrack/Parun again with yall...this time the entire thing rather than the shortcut in via french and out via rock canyons!! I went in late May and it was perfect.

We looked at the water fall and decided to use the bypass. It was pretty easy. Hauling a big backpack through it would be a bit more difficult but with 2 people to pass through the rabbit hole no problem.

Uh......what waterfall. I started at Carmel and out by the Plaque, only waterfall I saw was Labrinyth farther down

Uh......what waterfall. I started at Carmel and out by the Plaque, only waterfall I saw was Labrinyth farther down

There is a big boulder/log jam that somewhere upstream of Misery. I hear it used to be doable to go right through it but in recent years it has changed to be a full swimmer. Matt can probably better describe exactly where it is.

Been quite a while ago I was thru there ......... must have had a go flood to jam the main canyon up.