Ticaboo Creek aka Survivorman is a Fake?

...Disco channel included, ...
I laughed out loud when I first read "Disco channel" thinking it was a channel with lots of afros, bell bottoms, platform shoes & BeeGee's music. How come I don't have this channel?Sorry to digress . . . carry on.

If I look at his page from other accounts who aren't friends with anyone, I still see links to the BCP thread on his FB page. Maybe I'm looking at different links than you are?

The post on his Survivorman page still appears to be up. I test by looking at it through an incognito window in chrome (not logged in at all).

FWIW, I think most of Discovery's programming is far from accurate as well. I mean really... Moonshiners? Gold Rush?

I've only seen a few minutes of Moonshiners, they are definitely peddling woo with that one...

- DAA

Watching the episode right now. "Out of respect for the environment, I gathered this from several trees."

PFFFFF!

This has been a great thread. Although I have never seen this show, the guy is clearly a fraud, and he is MUCH different from us, at least what I know of people on this site. You can't say he is not much different from us then lament the fact that he lies, and makes a great deal of money (probably) off his lies. Do we really think this is the only time he has been dropped off somewhere, trashed up the place, lied about it, and put it on TV?
I will stick to watching South Park re-runs, which is more real than Survivorman. I can't wait for their episode on this guy. Should be brutal!

BTW Nick, Sage is beautiful!

Nick, I am the features editor at the Logan Herald Journal, and am interested in publishing one of your photos. Could you contact me at lfrazier@hjnews.com? Thanks

Sad news, kids. The HJ News post above is unrelated to the Survivorman story. :( But other than that, it's a good thing.

:(

Have you tried contacting KSL or the SL Tribune to run a story?

Well, this is very disappointing. I've been a huge fan of Les for a long time. I'm really hoping that he got lazy with this one and just cut some corners. I hope this doesn't indicate how he's always done it. I mean, remember the episode when he's in the jungle and he claims hes being stalked by a panther? He could have made that shit up to make the episode exciting (also an excuse to bail and go back to the village). The fact that he hasn't come out and addressed this yet is disconcerting. Hopefully we hear something from him.

Also, the lack of LNT practice is not cool. :/

The jungle episode has always troubled me, actually. Assuming he really ran into a big cat, it seemed to me like he got back to the village awfully quickly. Or, maybe I should put it this way: if I ran into a big cat while sleeping in the backcountry, would I pick up and head into the dark jungle for a long hike back to help? Probably not...it would be safer to stay up all night and keep watch. But if I ran into a big cat and had to hike back 10 minutes to get help, I would probably do that. That's why I don't think he was very far from help during the jungle episode.

I think his definition of "wilderness" is different from my definition.

Just read this whole thread. Gorgeous pics, Nick! I spent almost a week in that area three years ago. Absolutely breathtaking, and we only saw two other people the whole time we were there, and that was from a great distance. I plan to get back there for another extended trip, maybe next year. It was some of the most rugged, stunning country I've seen yet in Utah.

We camped way more than 1.5 miles from the trailhead. Heh. Oddly, we also were smart enough to camp about 300 feet away from a stream, rather than a "30-minute" trek from a pothole. Snort. Hella pretty back in there. Arches, slots, natural bridges, the views.... And, um, I led a pack string of 4 loaded horses up that trail...so I don't really understand how filming the way down the same trail would have been so hard for super resourceful mr. survivorman. ;) Must say I agree with some sentiments above...there is no such thing as "reality" television. Though sometimes the scenery sure is nice to look at.

The jungle episode has always troubled me, actually. Assuming he really ran into a big cat, it seemed to me like he got back to the village awfully quickly. Or, maybe I should put it this way: if I ran into a big cat while sleeping in the backcountry, would I pick up and head into the dark jungle for a long hike back to help? Probably not...it would be safer to stay up all night and keep watch. But if I ran into a big cat and had to hike back 10 minutes to get help, I would probably do that. That's why I don't think he was very far from help during the jungle episode.

I think his definition of "wilderness" is different from my definition.
Actually, now that you mention it, it did always seem counter-intuitive to me that he picked up and left after encountering the cat. It seems like the logical thing to do is stay put. On the other hand, I don't really blame him for wanting to stay close to help in the jungle episode, since well, its the jungle and thus more dangerous and unpredictable. But yeah... honesty is always best, since the truth will just come back to bite you in the ass one day.

Awesome, though really not surprising. I think most of us could film better and more realistic survivor episodes than this guy. Why go to all the work and then camp 300 yards from the highway? Super lame.

With all of the hits I get on my Survivorman site from people who clicked on a link in this thread, I'm still surprised that we haven't gotten any verbal lashings from the die-hard Survivorman fans. I'm also even more disappointed that, after over nine months, we still never heard back from anyone associated with the show.

And that's why I have a hard time watching him anymore...

Outside magazine has done multiple articles on him before. I'm sure they are game for one more.