The Before/After thread

winter and summer in Fairbanks, AK ...
View attachment 66814

View attachment 66815it was about -15 in the top photo (taken December 28, 2017) ... the bottom photo was taken this past Saturday. 100+ degree swing .... Tuesday evening it was 85 at 8pm and my DIL took the boys swimming at Chena Lakes.
Wild! The reports of the major heat wave in Siberia this year are also sobering. The permafrost will no longer be perma within our lifetime of course.

Nice. Did a trip to Island/Titcomb with some friends on the 16th-19th. Camped at Seneca, Island, then Hobbes. You got some more dramatic clouds than we did while up at Island, though the afternoon we dayhiked to Titcomb we got some nice thunder and hail.
I was more than surprised how stable the weather was.
We had only that one day we day hiked to Titcomb where the weather turned iffy later that afternoon and a hefty thunderstorm the night before. All other days were dry and mostly cloudless, so I'm happy these clouds showed up around sunset.

This month I have Tuesdays and Wednesdays off. I had requested a vacation day for this Thursday. I was planning on going up and hitting Amethyst Lake tomorrow night and then Kermsuh Wednesday night for a leisure Uinta fishing trip...then my wife expressed interest in wanting to get a night out for herself...so to balance the scale, plans have now changed. I'll be driving up to Bald Mountain and hiking into Ibantik Lake area to camp for the night, while spending a half hour or so fishing all the major lakes along the way. I'll then hike over the Notch fishing the lakes on the other side through the morning and and on to Crystal Lake TH where the plan is for my wife to meet me there sometime shortly after noon with our kids. I'll take the kids from there and head home, while she does the same route in reverse and drives my car out the next day.

It's pretty exciting to see the confidence in her grow enough to go out solo now. She certainly deserves it for all that she's let me do in recent years while staying back with the kids. Who knows...maybe someday I can hook her into getting onto BCP, but that may be much more difficult. :cool: She's still pretty shy though, when it comes to that sort of thing, in addition to being camera shy on my videos.

In the mean time, we also have what should be a real nice camping trip lined up down around Bryce Canyon with the kids next week too prior to school starting for them the week after.

Before:

Leaving tonight after work for Big Timber, MT. Hiking in to Pear Lake tomorrow to do some fishing and setup camp, attempt summit of Crazy Peak on Sunday.

After:
Made it back yesterday from our trip. We did not make it to Pear Lake like we planned, as there was still too much snow in the canyon needed to access that lake. But, we stayed a little lower at Blue Lake, and made a successful summit bid on Sunday!

IMG_3522.JPG

No, not a rock burn but a tussle with a big grizz! It was touch and go there for a while. :p No, heading back from Plateau Lake, my kids and I got caught in a nasty thunderstorm and my leg and knee brace got wet which caused the brace to rub up against my thigh. I had to pick my poison :help:, either live with the constant rubbing from that point on or have an unstable knee going over all of the wet downfall. I might have chosen incorrectly, but the rub will heal with time.

No, not a rock burn but a tussle with a big grizz! It was touch and go there for a while. :p No, heading back from Plateau Lake, my kids and I got caught in a nasty thunderstorm and my leg and knee brace got wet which caused the brace to rub up against my thigh. I had to pick my poison :help:, either live with the constant rubbing from that point on or have an unstable knee going over all of the wet downfall. I might have chosen incorrectly, but the rub will heal with time.
Those almost bloody wounds must have been covered by your skirt in the first pics... I mean kilt...

BEFORE: Nothing exciting. Just a day hike in the Uintas up the Lakes Country trail, looping back past Duck Lake. Getting to try out my new Gregory Optic 40 pack and Garmin InReach Explorer+. Feels like Christmas :)

AFTER: After a REALLY late start I managed to get to Island Lake. Smoky skies were disappointing but there was still beauty all around.
bb4a98ae5121685ac0761c9d0abe4828.jpg

d4d8c7fc4daccf648262fcbf0dd9c0e9.jpg

330cf06563315bb3c4caf08b769d0f7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks a lot more clear than it does around the Wasatch Front!

It was definitely better but still obvious in the distance. The peaks were muted for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk