The Before/After thread

before: getting ready for a 5 day trip to the Winds with @pixie1339

i-nZxMMk2-L.jpg

Last edited:
I was just reminded that I did a before but not an after from my Highline trip. I think I posted a sufficient after between the Uintas conditions and members of BCP threads, so I'm just going to post a snippet of my video diary I shot along the trail. This was shot at around mile 20 out of 70, so you can only imagine where things went from here....

Bwahaha! Good one. And your co-actors, classic!

Well, here's the after. Things often don't go as planned, even when you don't have plans, which I usually don't. My basic idea was to head north to Tuktoyaktuk, taking my time, then go to Alaska. I got up to northern Montana where the AC on my new-to-me truck gave up the ghost. It was pretty hot for me and the dogs, so I stopped at a shop where they discovered a rear differential seal leaking pretty badly when doing an oil change and also couldn't fix the AC. I went back to Livingston to regroup, as it wasn't as hot there.

To add to that, my generator went out, which was the only way I had of keeping the house part of my rig cool for the dogs when we were stopped. I then started smelling propane, though not too bad, but it was worrisome.

I was debating on whether to keep trying to go north or not, being fairly stubborn, when I think the heat got to the dogs. One of them stepped on something and let out a yelp, which triggered the other to jump her, which they've never done before, but Blue Heelers can be a bit sketchy. I know not to get involved in a dogfight, but I did anyway, and I ended up with stitches in both legs. So, I'm now holed up in a little cabin in Montana, trying to figure out what happened to my good luck.

Fortunately, I have plenty of dog food in my rig as well as 10 pounds of coffee (I was outfitted for an Arctic expedition, after all), so all will be well. One dog had to go to the vet, but she'll be OK. Neither acts very contrite.
Whoa, just saw this Rock!

I've been distracted flying to flatland, driving to flatland and backpacking and such. You got hurt and the doggies not so much?

Sorry to hear about your mechanical issues too. Sounds like that backcountry mechanic may have been piling on? You safe and secure now? What is the plan?

One things for sure, you want to be figuring out the mechanicals BEFORE you head into the Northwest Territories. Just ask Ben!

Good luck, amiga. Let us know how we can type you some help :)

Whoa, just saw this Rock!

I've been distracted flying to flatland, driving to flatland and backpacking and such. You got hurt and the doggies not so much?

Sorry to hear about your mechanical issues too. Sounds like that backcountry mechanic may have been piling on? You safe and secure now? What is the plan?

One things for sure, you want to be figuring out the mechanicals BEFORE you head into the Northwest Territories. Just ask Ben!

Good luck, amiga. Let us know how we can type you some help :)

Thanks for the good words, much appreciated. I'm on my second course of antibiotics, and it all looks like it's finally healing up, or so I hope, anyway. I have an appt to get the truck seal fixed and also got new tires. The dogs are fine, they act like my role in life is to get in the way so they don't bite each other. I need to learn to bite back.

But I'm changing direction. Am bored stiff but can't leave until I know the antibiotics are working (dog bites are gnarly bacteria wise), so I go and hang out at the airport and watch the big Chinook helo Columbia come in from the nearby Lake Christine Fire. I've decided I want to take it for a joyride, it's my new bucket list item.

And what happened to Ben? Was this on his Alaska trip?

The bear spray is hiding behind the red pack and this would be the Plateau Lake / Buffalo Meadow trip.
What is your schedule? You are going to be honed for our Electric Peak trip in two weeks! I will have to struggle to keep up with the Scat and Misses Scat and Scat Junior. Luckily Becky will be slower than me...

And what happened to Ben? Was this on his Alaska trip?

Yes it was on his solo Alaska motorcycle trip on a single piston KLR with his backpack and packraft strapped on and no Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance experience. I won't tell the story unless he doesn't. I reached out to him to 'splain in a new comment to his packraft thread.

Last edited:
What is your schedule? You are going to be honed for our Electric Peak trip in two weeks! I will have to struggle to keep up with the Scat and Misses Scat and Scat Junior. Luckily Becky will be slower than me...

You forgot to ask me about the bacon grease. :) I'm heading up on Thursday and back next Tuesday.