The Before/After thread

Before: Finally going down to Zion NP for the first time. I've put it off for a long time. Camping outside the park tonight and then hoping to summit South Guardian Angel tomorrow.
I went to Zion for the first time last yr, after having lived here for like 4 years. Worth the wait. You won't be disappointed

I don't often post here because I often forget to come back with a follow up. That said, I'm taking my girls to Bluff Balloon Festival this weekend. Checked in at the in-laws in Torrey for the night, then set for two nights of camping. A good variety of more accessible ruins and art panels are also on the agenda. Will see how my girls do with the cold, as it's their first time winter camping. In the desert, but still winter.

IMG_20180112_163511_856.jpg

Sounds like a fun trip. We’ll remind you to check back in when you’re done :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't often post here because I often forget to come back with a follow up. That said, I'm taking my girls to Bluff Balloon Festival this weekend. Checked in at the in-laws in Torrey for the night, then set for two nights of camping. A good variety of more accessible ruins and art panels are also on the agenda. Will see how my girls do with the cold, as it's their first time winter camping. In the desert, but still winter.

View attachment 61043
Love to see that you have learned how to fill up even that new big rig and love you getting your kids out to enjoy nature!

Love to see that you have learned how to fill up even that new big rig and love you getting your kids out to enjoy nature!
Yep. Taking twice the sleeping bags for the girls to double over, just in case they still get the shivers at night. Sitting down to dinner at Twin Rocks now. Had quite a ride to River House Ruin and back this evening. The Runner handled it like a champ.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Maybe not too backcountry, but hopefully will cure your winter doldrums. Actually, we haven't had much of a winter here in Salt Lake this year with temperatures approaching 50 degrees today. Anyway, some shots of my ride up City Creek Canyon this morning.

IMG_4703.JPG
Before - Who's shadow is that?

IMG_4705.JPG
During

IMG_4706.JPG
Parts of the road don't get sun this time of year

IMG_4710.JPG
Breaking out into the sun. Black Mountain Ridge in the distance

IMG_4709.JPG
Scatman

IMG_4715.JPG
Nasty little hill just past the 2 mile marker. About to catch a jogger.

IMG_4719.JPG
Water Treatment Plant

IMG_4721.JPG
End of the road for me.

IMG_4725.JPG
Little break back at the Water Treatment Plant

IMG_4727.JPG
View of the northern end of the Oquirrh Mountains

IMG_4736.JPG
Heading home

IMG_4743.JPG
After!

Maybe not too backcountry, but hopefully will cure your winter doldrums. Actually, we haven't had much of a winter here in Salt Lake this year with temperatures approaching 50 degrees today. Anyway, some shots of my ride up City Creek Canyon this morning.

View attachment 61047
Before - Who's shadow is that?

View attachment 61048
During

View attachment 61049
Parts of the road don't get sun this time of year

View attachment 61050
Breaking out into the sun. Black Mountain Ridge in the distance

View attachment 61051
Scatman

View attachment 61052
Nasty little hill just past the 2 mile marker. About to catch a jogger.

View attachment 61053
Water Treatment Plant

View attachment 61054
End of the road for me.

View attachment 61055
Little break back at the Water Treatment Plant

View attachment 61056
View of the northern end of the Oquirrh Mountains

View attachment 61057
Heading home

View attachment 61058
After!

Who woulda thunk in mid January!

Who woulda thunk in mid January!
Really! I'm taking full advantage of the mild temperatures but if we don't start getting some snow in the mountains soon, we are going to be in trouble this summer.

Mostly successful trip to Bluff Ballon Fest with my girls. Only thing on the list we didn't get time to fit in, was Moon House. Probably for the better though...not having done it myself yet, I'm not sure just how strenuous and exposed it would be, so it's probably better we didn't make the long drive down Snow Flat. I'll save it yet again for another day and another trip. Probably better that I do it without any kids first to make sure it's something they can handle before making plans to take them there, or at least wait for when we have another another adult in our group to assist me with lifting and pulling them up any tricky parts.

In the mean time, until I get a TR put together, here's a sampling of our weekend...

upload_2018-1-16_11-38-42.png

upload_2018-1-16_11-59-22.png

upload_2018-1-16_11-59-46.png

upload_2018-1-16_12-0-7.png

upload_2018-1-16_12-1-15.png

upload_2018-1-16_12-1-46.png

After (or during, I guess). @Dave showing off his fake head injury/concussion. I got to pretend to have a broken clavicle, and a wrist injury as a result of some buffet induced diarrhea making me dizzy and falling off my imaginary mountain bike. Kind of unusual to be poking and have people poking every part of you all day long, but still really good. Everyone who spends a lot of times outdoors should go through this class.

IMG_1220.JPG

After (or during, I guess). @Dave showing off his fake head injury/concussion. I got to pretend to have a broken clavicle, and a wrist injury as a result of some buffet induced diarrhea making me dizzy and falling off my imaginary mountain bike. Kind of unusual to be poking and have people poking every part of you all day long, but still really good. Everyone who spends a lot of times outdoors should go through this class.

View attachment 62327
I was thinking that Dave was staging his expression to meet his injury but then I thought, nah, that is Daveeee... :cool:

Just curious is “cold injury” how to deal with hypothermia?
I think so, but I guess I’ll find out tomorrow afternoon!

A cold injury is not hypothermia. It's a more localized injury caused by the cold such as frostbite.

Just got done with day 2 of the NOLS/REI Wilderness First Aid Class. Seriously, you all should do this! The next Salt Lake one is in September at Petzl's North American headquarters. Make sure you take the tour!

IMG_1227.JPG IMG_1230.JPGIMG_1225.JPGIMG_1228.JPG

@Dave showing off my handiwork making a sling and splint.
IMG_1224.JPG