The Before/After thread

After: it was a very interesting day. A new personal best for me for mileage. I'll get a trip report up soon... meanwhile this is how it started...

f06183fa5e928ac0dd8ff1ddbe5fcd23.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a beautiful day to start...
Your plans were a lot more ambitious than mine, but I was only a few miles away. Pop tarts in hand with Mt Watson behind me.Cave Lake Trip 7-20170749 (2).jpg

After: it was a very interesting day. A new personal best for me for mileage. I'll get a trip report up soon... meanwhile this is how it started...

f06183fa5e928ac0dd8ff1ddbe5fcd23.jpg

Still working on a trip report. Here's a video if you are interested...

My brother @bctchar and I are kitting up food and packing packs today in prep for our second stab at the Uinta Highline Trail. We're going in tomorrow morning via the Uinta River trail heading for Painter Basin via Chain Lakes/ Lake Atwood. Hoping to summit Kings Peak on Monday. We'll continue on for a Thursday exit at the Hayden Pass trail head. Too excited at this point!

Last edited:
My brother @bctchar and I are kitting up food and packing packs today in prep for our second stab at the Uinta Highline Trail. We're going in tomorrow morning via the Uinta River trail heading for Painter Basin via Chain Lakes/ Lake Atwood. Hoping to summit Kings Peak on Monday. We'll continue on for a Thursday exit at the Hayden Pass trail head. Too excited at this point!

Well we emerged from the back country last night at 9:00 pm using headlamps. Here a couple of my favorite shots. Trip report to come...

IMG_1206.JPG IMG_1207.JPG IMG_1213.JPG

Success? Is the third pic taken from Porcupine Pass looking west down into Oweep Creek and Lambert Meadows?

Pretty sure that is from Anderson Pass looking into the Yellowstone River drainage.

And yes, success! With last year's trip we now have done the entire UHT from McKee Draw at UT191 to the Haden Pass trail head on Mirror Lake Hwy.

Pretty sure that is from Anderson Pass looking into the Yellowstone River drainage.

And yes, success! With last year's trip we now have done the entire UHT from McKee Draw at UT191 to the Haden Pass trail head on Mirror Lake Hwy.

@Artemus - Mea culpa! I went back to check and you were absolutely correct. That picture is from Porcupine Pass looking west into Oweep Creek area.

@Artemus - Mea culpa! I went back to check and you were absolutely correct. That picture is from Porcupine Pass looking west into Oweep Creek area.
That was one of my favorite areas during my crossing - except for the sheep grazing damage. Kudos to finally complete the route! Where did you start this year and how many miles did you clock on it this year?

That was one of my favorite areas during my crossing - except for the sheep grazing damage. Kudos to finally complete the route! Where did you start this year and how many miles did you clock on it this year?

Those huge above-tree line drainages are awesome both Yellowstone and Oweep. The sheep were in the upper Lakefork drainage and over in the Dead Horse Lake area. Really sad to see them there of all places.

We started at the Uinta River trailhead north of Roosevelt. We headed up through the Chain Lakes and Lake Atwood drainages coming over Trail Rider Pass into Painter Basin. Here are the final numbers from the InReach...
e76ea317524bcc47464583972b05c584.jpg

Looks like that puts us at just about 165 miles for both trips. Kind of the long way to do the whole trail but feels pretty darn good having pulled it off!

Great trip. I decided to take my time, float and slow down. I only made it about 26 miles.
Camp 1 on a sand bar around mile 39, after a rainy cold day:

I0000tlDgIqqbzqo.jpg

Day 2 at Little Bridge Canyon at mile 34:

I0000x1Q6xp7Bodw.jpg

At Gooseberry Canyon, my last camp spot at mile 24 (I think, I need to check the map), just downriver from Lathrop Canyon:

I0000vBAmdS_FyKg.jpg

The before plan, was to slow down. Once I launched, and the rain started coming down, my ass freezing off, I decided to end up where I ended up, as soon as possible.

Great trip. I decided to take my time, float and slow down. I only made it about 26 miles.
Camp 1 on a sand bar around mile 39, after a rainy cold day:

I0000tlDgIqqbzqo.jpg

Day 2 at Little Bridge Canyon at mile 34:

I0000x1Q6xp7Bodw.jpg

At Gooseberry Canyon, my last camp spot at mile 24 (I think, I need to check the map), just downriver from Lathrop Canyon:

I0000vBAmdS_FyKg.jpg

The before plan, was to slow down. Once I launched, and the rain started coming down, my ass freezing off, I decided to end up where I ended up, as soon as possible.
Nice trip and photos, Greg. Where did you put in and take out?

Thanks Art. I put in at Potash. Tex's Riverways picked me up near Gooseberry Canyon at my last camp, on their way back from Spanish Bottom.

Last edited:
Before.
No soccer this weekend for the first time in weeks, and took a day off tomorrow.
I was going to go up into the fall leaves, but except for a half dozen trips down Orderville with my family, my accompanying Idahoan brother in law has never really seen the desert. I have a few ideas and it's a long drive for just two days, but we will get in the Jeep and drive south.
I guess in the After we will see where we end up. No matter where will be great.
Nearly full moon and wonderful utah fall weather. I am packed already.... always feels like Christmas eve, maybe better.

Before ( and after oops )

Hell Hole Lake. Wanted to summit A1 Peak but I’m nursing a cold and just didn’t have the energy to pull it off on a short October day.

8ffb6bac31984dcf7a106ac4b1275468.jpg
e09d04d45648a30cf18e23120221898a.jpg

Before ( and after oops )

Hell Hole Lake. Wanted to summit A1 Peak but I’m nursing a cold and just didn’t have the energy to pull it off on a short October day.

8ffb6bac31984dcf7a106ac4b1275468.jpg
e09d04d45648a30cf18e23120221898a.jpg

Did you walk in from the road from the north past the drilling adventure?

Did you walk in from the road from the north past the drilling adventure?

Came in from MLH, over to the road (booooring), then up to the lake. Oh and crossing the creek barefooted at 23 degrees is quite an experience! I think If I ever do it again I'll find the old trail along the Main Fork and bypass that road. It *is* a really nice road... just doesn't belong.

Last edited:
Came in from MLH, over to the road (booooring), then up to the lake. Oh and crossing the creek barefooted at 23 degrees is quite an experience! I think If I ever do it again I'll find the old trail along the Main Fork and bypass that road. It *is* a really nice road... just doesn't belong.
Yeah, that road and the drilling development and their obnoxious closure signage are pet peeve #230 for me too.

After.
Boulder Mountain was incredible.
Death Hollow 10-170013.jpg

Given a few choices, Boulder Mail Trail became the destination. My brother in law is a pilot, so starting from a dirt airstrip sealed the choice.
Blue skies and 70's. Autumn colors popping.
Death Hollow 10-170206.jpg

Death Hollow 10-170298.jpg

Death Hollow 10-170340BW1.jpg

Delightful.