pot for open flames

gloo

{insert witty remark here}
Hey guys, I'm looking for a small pot that can be used in open flames. Ideally something 24-32 oz. I've seen the open country 2quart kettle at REI and looks perfect...if it were smaller. I've heard amazing things about a cheap kmart grease strainer but I can't find it online. Does any one have any suggestions?

So is it pretty much just the top handle that you want for fire use? so you can pull it out with a stick? Or hang it?

Links to the REI one mentioned for those curious:
http://www.rei.com/product/401067/open-country-2-quart-pot-with-lid

My buddy just uses normal pots in the fire all the time. He usually uses a beanie or something to grab the hot handles or a pot lifter. It's not like you actually want tons of flame swirling around the pot. We usually just kind of push the fire off the the side and set it on a nice bed of coals and it boils super fast. Easy to actually cook that way too, he always does ramen and tuna and stirs it frequently while leaving it in the fire.

If you don't find an awesome one with the hanging handle, you could probably make a decent DIY thing like that and an existing pot.

that's not much of a concern, I'm just after a cheap light pot that I can use over a fire. I don't want to ruin/discolor my nicer stuff

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S WTB: Older style MSR Titan 2 Liter Titanium Pot Gear Market: Buy, Sell, Trade 0
KevinBoyer New Cooking Pot Needed. Gear 27
trasmuson3 Sea to Summit X Pot Gear 12
Mike K Backpacking Pot/Kettle/Mug Gear 20
uintafly Power Pot General Discussion 1
Don Backpacking pot charges USB while you cook. General Discussion 6
fossana Bears Ears NM draft Resource Management Plan open for public comment until 6/11/2024 General Discussion 5
fossana Public comment for revised Grand Staircase Escalante NM management plan (comments open 11 Aug - 9 Nov) General Discussion 11
forest dweller Invite First 2 weeks of August, open to anywhere wild and beautiful, western US or Canada, hell, Yukon or Alaska even! Meet Up (Members Only) 10
Rockskipper Application Period Open For 2023 Private River Trips Through Grand Canyon National Park General Discussion 0
Titans CEDAR MESA VISITS: OPEN AGAIN// (Extended bridge closure, west of Blanding, on SR-95) General Discussion 5
U Any recommendations for 5 days hiking in Wyoming, Idaho or MT? This is around July 15-20. Not counting on Glacier being open Trip Planning 9
UtahBrian Wondering When The National Parks Will Open General Discussion 13
fossana Public comment period open until 10 Mar 2020 for proposed NEPA rollbacks General Discussion 4
J Pahranagat Country: Big, open, room to roam Nov.9-10, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
Rockskipper Yellowstone is open and one-star reviews General Discussion 23
C Kolob Canyons finally open General Discussion 1
fossana Zinke's last ditch attempt to suppress Dept of the Interior FoIA requests (public comment open) General Discussion 2
Nick BCP Reflection Shirt Pre-order is Open! General Discussion 3
Perry Red Castle Is Open for Business ... eeh .. Almost Backpacking 19
climbhigh1119 1-2 spots open for Wind River Range August 16-24 Meet Up (Members Only) 4
Aldaron Open Street Map General Discussion 5
N Grand View / Grand Daddy Lake TH Is The Road Open Trip Planning 3