Open Street Map

Aldaron

Has anyone ever played around with Open Street Map? It's basically an open source map that is user editable. There are several apps for smartphones that use these maps, and I think they're very useful.

And, of course, I'm just map-nerdy enough to want to work on adding to the map. Unfortunately, the software is terribly confusing, and my eyes very quickly glaze over every time I try to learn how to use it. So I was just wondering if anyone else has tried editing the map or if anyone wants to start trying to learn how to edit the map with me.

The biggest thing I would like to do is add hiking trails to the map. It's got a lot of trails already, but, man, we all sure hike a lot of trails, and it should be terribly easy to get them all added to this map, which would make them accessible on smartphone GPS apps.

cool, didn't know that. I purchased gaia for my phone after my gps failed and am planning on using that temporarily. seems to work pretty well

I'm thinking about chunking the GPS in favor of Gaia. I said I would never do that, but now I'm considering it.

They've finally made it a lot more user-friendly to edit the open source maps. You can now go to https://www.openstreetmap.org/, create an account, and then edit with an in-browser editor. I've added three lakes today, and it's cool to watch them magically appear on the maps on the webpage, in Gaia, and in Motion-X on my phone in just a few minutes.

I finally figured out the process for adding trails with GPS tracks, too. They let you upload the track and then you have to trace over it with the draw tool. This seems like extra work, but it makes sense because it helps keep people from adding a road or trail that someone else has already added.

If you keep GPS track logs of your hikes on trails then you can really contribute to the open source map. I'm going to be nerdy enough to really get into this, I'm afraid.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
fossana Bears Ears NM draft Resource Management Plan open for public comment until 6/11/2024 General Discussion 5
fossana Public comment for revised Grand Staircase Escalante NM management plan (comments open 11 Aug - 9 Nov) General Discussion 11
forest dweller Invite First 2 weeks of August, open to anywhere wild and beautiful, western US or Canada, hell, Yukon or Alaska even! Meet Up (Members Only) 10
Rockskipper Application Period Open For 2023 Private River Trips Through Grand Canyon National Park General Discussion 0
Titans CEDAR MESA VISITS: OPEN AGAIN// (Extended bridge closure, west of Blanding, on SR-95) General Discussion 5
U Any recommendations for 5 days hiking in Wyoming, Idaho or MT? This is around July 15-20. Not counting on Glacier being open Trip Planning 9
UtahBrian Wondering When The National Parks Will Open General Discussion 13
fossana Public comment period open until 10 Mar 2020 for proposed NEPA rollbacks General Discussion 4
J Pahranagat Country: Big, open, room to roam Nov.9-10, 2019 Hiking & Camping 0
Rockskipper Yellowstone is open and one-star reviews General Discussion 23
C Kolob Canyons finally open General Discussion 1
fossana Zinke's last ditch attempt to suppress Dept of the Interior FoIA requests (public comment open) General Discussion 2
Nick BCP Reflection Shirt Pre-order is Open! General Discussion 3
Perry Red Castle Is Open for Business ... eeh .. Almost Backpacking 19
climbhigh1119 1-2 spots open for Wind River Range August 16-24 Meet Up (Members Only) 4
gloo pot for open flames Gear 2
N Grand View / Grand Daddy Lake TH Is The Road Open Trip Planning 3
BobFink Recreation.Gov article in Wall Street Journal General Discussion 12
IntrepidXJ It’s Time to End the National Park Service’s Arbitrary Ban on Street-Legal OHVs General Discussion 29
Bill Google Launches Street View For Hiking Trails General Discussion 2
HomerJ National Parks Street View General Discussion 3
fossana Favorite map resources General Discussion 17
W Paper map for Teton Wilderness (Younts Peak) Gear 4
Bob Smoke Map ........ 2023 Trip Planning 24
J Needles Dist 2022 BC Zone Map Resource Discussions 1
kansas Good map of Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument? Trip Planning 5
Bob Drought map General Discussion 6
fossana Anyone know what happened to the USGS topo map API? General Discussion 12
Bob Map Download for Avenza Trip Planning 0
blueeyes What does this mean on a map? Trip Planning 9
3 Grand Canyon Traverse - Map? Trip Planning 0
N Caltopo map scale for backpacking trip Resource Discussions 7
Artemus Grizzly Bear Expansion Map General Discussion 23
Mike Jones Built a Custom Map Board for protecting my maps while hiking Gear 9
Nick New Snotel Map Resource General Discussion 4
DrNed Map for Coyote Gulch Trip Planning 6
Jammer Across Utah Map Trip Planning 7
Aldaron Trimble Map/Battery Gear 6
Noun Sequitur Weird Map Stuff General Discussion 69
Nick Uintas Mega Map Trip Planning 28
uintahiker Map Exchange Trip Planning 1
intuitive cat Escalante River System Springs & Surface Water Map Trip Planning 6