Phelps Mountain

Vegan.Hiker

I have a few TR's which I'll try to catch up on. This trip was last winter (Jan., 2017) and it's not all that fresh in my mind anymore, so I'll keep it pretty brief. This was a weekend trip that I took up to the High Peaks region of the northern Adirondacks, NY with my buddy Craig. Despite it being a mild winter, we were expecting snow in the valley on the drive up but there was none to be found. We knew there would be some up a little higher, but we were hoping for a winter wonderland so it was a little disappointing. If I remember correctly, we threw our snowshoes in our packs, but never put them on. This was strictly a microspike affair.

The plan for the first day was to hike up Phelps Mountain which is one of the ADK 46 with a possible attempt at Tabletop Mountain if we had enough daylight. I remember the hike to Phelps being pretty flat and fast going for the first few miles then basically a straight up ascent of 2,000 ft in under 2 miles at the end. We bagged Phelps but bailed on Tabletop Mtn. We got a room a little hiker lodge called the ADK Trail Inn that night and hit up a Mexican restaurant in Lake Placid before ending up at the Lake Placid Brewery for some drinks and the perpetual college hockey which is always on the TV's there. The next morning, we hiked up Porter Mountain, another of the ADK 46. Then headed home.

A look back on the hike up.
DSC07259.JPG

Colden on the left, Algonquin and Wright on the right. I have a trip report hiking up those two HERE
DSC07261.JPG

Where's Waldo?
DSC07266.JPG

following behind Craig
DSC07277.JPG

DSC07272.JPG

Craig surveying McIntyre range from the summit of Phelps
DSC07274.JPG

Retracing our steps back
DSC07270.JPG

Dropping back into the steep descent
DSC07262.JPG

A pic taken on day 2 from the summit of Porter looking at the Great Range off in the distance. You can read about my failed attempt at the Great Range Traverse HERE. I still have unfinished business over there.
DSC07246.JPG

Those are some great shots with the combination of blue sky, clouds and snow. Looks like an incredible day.

And I don't recall if I've said it already, but it's great to see you back on here. Looking forward to the coming trip reports!

The Adirondacks inspired the preservation of lands around the world. My time there was limited to outing club trips in May and September a couple of years. Snow/blizzard there in May brought the worst hiking/mountaineering conditions I've ever experienced. It is a wonderful landscape and I thank you for hsaring it again man.

Those are some great shots with the combination of blue sky, clouds and snow. Looks like an incredible day.

And I don't recall if I've said it already, but it's great to see you back on here. Looking forward to the coming trip reports!

Totally Agree!
I know you have been busy... but c'mon! :cool:
To see more from back east is always great!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Mikjik86 Hiking Colorado - 13er Bald Mountain 13,703' Hiking & Camping 2
B Hello mountain people! Noobs: Introduce yourself! 0
BeardoMcGrath Fiftymile Mountain rim and ruins tour: 13 May 2023 Hiking & Camping 12
Ugly Oh Mother! A Mountain Loop Backpacking 12
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
O Eagle Cap from China Cap to Meadow Mountain Backpacking 3
kwc Hadley Mountain hike Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Black Mountain Ridge - May 13, 2023 Hiking & Camping 49
kwc Spruce Mountain Fire Tower, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
regehr conditions at the Mexican Mountain road? Trip Planning 8
scatman Little Mountain - January 21, 2023 Hiking & Camping 28
TheMountainRabbit Black Lake (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 3
TheMountainRabbit Sky Pond (Rocky Mountain NP) - January 2023 Hiking & Camping 8
kwc Snowy Mountain, central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
XID_AZ Kanab Creek Wilderness - Sowats Canyon - Mountain Sheep Spring Trip Planning 6
scatman Bald Mountain - August 20, 2022 Hiking & Camping 7
regehr mountain-forecast.com Trip Planning 22
Absarokanaut Welcome First Peoples Mountain General Discussion 0
scatman Mendon Peak - Wellsville Mountain Wilderness - June 4, 2022 Hiking & Camping 13
andyjaggy Wind River Range Roberts Mountain Trip Planning 4
LarryBoy SLC: Terrace Hills Drive to Big Mountain Peak Trip Planning 16
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 7
pstm13 Rocky Mountain National Park Mid June with Kids Trip Planning 0
scatman Little Mountain - January 22, 2022 Hiking & Camping 1
scatman Jack's Mountain - December 24, 2021 Hiking & Camping 11
norwegianxplorer Highest Mountain in Norway, Galdhøpiggen, the start of a 9 day backpacking trip in Jotunheimen national park Backpacking 0
scatman Foothill Follies Part 2 - Black Mountain Ridge and City Creek Canyon Loop - November 11, 2021 Hiking & Camping 6
kwc Hadley Mountain Fire Tower hike, Southern Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 1
kwc Moxham Mountain, Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 3
J Death Valley National Park and Area Mountain Rambles Dec. 16-17, 2020 Hiking & Camping 0
scatman Black Mountain - May 22, 2021 Hiking & Camping 9
kwc Blue Mountain hike, Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 0
kwc Goodnow Mountain fire tower hike Hiking & Camping 2
LarryBoy Five Days on Boulder Mountain Backpacking 5
norwegianxplorer Greater Yellowstone part 2, from the Headwaters of Yellowstone River, through the Thorofare, Overlook Mountain, Rampart Creek Backpacking 9
kwc Chimney Mountain, South Central Adirondacks Hiking & Camping 3
regehr Sid's Mountain Loop Backpacking 5
fossana Bat Mountain traverse (Funeral Mountains) Hiking & Camping 5
Yvonne Sepulcher Mountain Hike, Yellowstone NP, September 2018 Hiking & Camping 2
UtahBrian Sids Mountain Wilderness November 2019 Backpacking 5
K Cycling The Divide Mountain Route Trip Planning 16
NorthwestWanderer Olympic National Park - Elk Mountain Hiking & Camping 7
Titans Prescribed burn South Monroe Mountain- photos from Capitol Reef area Photography 0
Born to Hike Mountain Solitude: Reconnaissance Lake, High Uintas, early Sept 2019 Backpacking 9
DownPour Mountain House meals and Ziplock bags General Discussion 7
scatman Mary Mountain Trail - Yellowstone - 8/11/19 Hiking & Camping 37
C Our vacation to Smoky mountain USA Everything Else 0
WasatchWill A Night on Y Mountain Backpacking 7
Ross Invite Canaan Mountain Meet Up (Members Only) 0
Ross Permit places available for a Cape Solitude/Comanche Pt Grand Canyon backpack (+Canaan Mountain) Meet Up (Members Only) 0