Permits

Shirt357

Since this will be my first full year living out west, it is the first time I have come across a location I needed to secure permits well ahead of time (The Needles). It got me to thinking... (and this may be a stupid question with an easy answer) is there a convenient site or listing of which NPS, Wilderness areas, etc. require permits? Not so much permits, as many places I go require them, but a list so I can research ahead of time which ones require me to proactively seek a permit well ahead of time.

I don't know of any sites like that, but from what I've come across the general rule for hiking or backpacking is if it's in a national park you will definitely need a permit. Anywhere else and you're probably OK. I can't think of anywhere else that you'd need a permit ahead of time. That is, unless you're planning on running rivers, which is a whole different story.

I've never seen anything listing them like that. I guess you could get a list compiled here by contributions.

Ones in Utah that I know of that require actual advance reservations or have quotas are Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands, Grand Gulch and its tributaries, Fish and Owl Canyons, and Coyote Buttes (which is mostly in AZ really).

Other places, like Capitol Reef, GSENM, and most Uintas trailheads require you to pick up a permit, but there aren't quotas or reservations.

Arches (currently) and Natural Bridges don't allow any backcountry camping.

I don't know much about CO, NV, AZ, NM, or the West Coast, but in MT, WY, and ID, it seems like national parks are the only places that require advance reservations.

Last edited:
In the Rockies there are very few places in the National Forest System that require permits for private, non-guided trips. I know its very different in California. As noted diffferent on the Colorado Plateau too.

I have been used to needing permits at many NPS but I guess lately I am discovering some locations where you need to get those permits well in advance if you want to get in for backpacking at all (like Canyonlands, certain areas of Yosemite, etc.). I did discover that recreation.gov does list some of the lotteries that are out there but many of those seemed to be related to people wanting to raft, except for half-dome which is not even an overnight. I guess it will just be more research as I look into different locations (or some of those people here talk about).

I will speak just for Grand Teton here: If you travel and have a day or two's flexibility I've never heard of folks that didn't get a good if not perfect walkup permit at the backcountry desk at the VC, Jenny Lake Ranger Station, or Colter Bay Backcountry office.