Album Non-Backcountry Photos

I’m torn between seeing it at the depot (which I would suspect will be a mad house) or climbing up a bit in Weber Canyon to shoot video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was an absolute mad house in Morgan when it came through. Estimates are 4,000 people showed up in our little town for the spectacle. I had to park 3/4 mile away from the depot and beat feet just to get what little footage I got.

You got some excellent footage there, as well as at least two whistles. That's a lot of people! I came through Ogden the day it arrived, but was in too much of a hurry to detour. $3,000 to ride in one of the cars one-way and get bussed back. I'm hoping to get up to Green River and Rock Springs when it's there.

It was so bad cell towers were overwhelmed. I-84 westbound was bumper to bumper for ten minutes after it left town. Crrraaazzyy!

It’s going to come back through on Sunday with a ten minute stop. Figuring my best bet will be to find a perch in the canyon and get them under power pulling uphill. Hope you get to see them. Amazing!

I think it would be worth the trip up there from Glenwood Springs, CO, which is where I'll be. I can't believe that many people were interested! It's also all over Youtube. I hope you get some good shots - can't wait to see them. :)

Scouting a location for the return.

785b378bec37efc1667ab74f0def89d2.jpg

That was awesome! Great setting - looks like you had the place to yourself. Really captured the spirit of it. Some of the youtube vids are so full of people you can barely see the train. Nice job and thanks for sharing.

That was awesome! Great setting - looks like you had the place to yourself. Really captured the spirit of it. Some of the youtube vids are so full of people you can barely see the train. Nice job and thanks for sharing.

So I had to go where most we not willing to walk the distance which was the secret sauce I think. It was really frustrating though.... I got in place just after dawn and had to wait about two hours. Right when the train was approaching a stupid helicopter flew in and hovered right over me. GRRRRRRR! That's basically why there is limited audio at that point trying to work around it.

You'll laugh but I had my back against the I-84 west bound jersey barrier so I had to deal with traffic noise, too. The ground would shake every time a semi flew past. Good thing no-one did a Dukes of Hazzard over my head! The first couple of shots were way down the canyon. 600 mm zoom came in real handy but the shaking from the traffic coupled with my iffy tripod made it kind of tough to keep steady.

I was surprised to have the area all to myself though. I parked in the east bound rest area at sunrise and there were already about 15 vehicles there. I set out on foot from there which I think was key. Most folks are not willing to beat feet for a good shot.

I was happy to hear audio as the train went past, and the music was perfect for the rest of it. You sure can't tell there's a freeway nearby or was a chopper overhead. :)

Sorry guys, I don't have any other social media to share this on, and am so happy that I got to celebrate with my brother for his 21st birthday!! Neither of us did any drinking till after we turned 21, so this is a photo of him with his first alcoholic beverage ever (he didn't like it)! Haha

20190928_164400.jpg

Sorry guys, I don't have any other social media to share this on, and am so happy that I got to celebrate with my brother for his 21st birthday!! Neither of us did any drinking till after we turned 21, so this is a photo of him with his first alcoholic beverage ever (he didn't like it)! Haha

View attachment 82591
What drink did he have that he didn't like? Looks kinda like an old fashioned?

Here's a photo comparison ...
now and several years ago ...
This is a pano of the Schoharie Valley (in upstate NY) taken Thursday from Vrooman's Nose
20191010_111054_HDR-PANO.jpg

This is the same area after Hurricane Irene passed through and dumped 10+ inches of rain upstream ...
Middleburghflood2011.jpg

Here's a photo comparison ...
now and several years ago ...
This is a pano of the Schoharie Valley (in upstate NY) taken Thursday from Vrooman's Nose
View attachment 83367

This is the same area after Hurricane Irene passed through and dumped 10+ inches of rain upstream ...
View attachment 83368
Good pics ... Shows why to not build in a flood plain