New guy checking in.

DudefromOhio

Hello from Ohio,

Been lurking for awhile. I absolutely love being out in nature and love camping but have done very little backpacking. I'm big into the outdoors and big into Bowhunting. I have a few big trips planned and this site holds some great information.

Other than local weekend trips and a few 3 day trips to Red River Gorge in Kentucky my backpacking experience is limited.

This September I have a Antelope hunt in Wyoming planned, and then in July of 2016 I have a lofty goal set. Going to thru hike the John Muir Trail. I know the John Muir isn't a big deal for a lot of westerners but when you come from the land of corn and beans like me, it's a pretty bold feet.

I'm finding it very overwhelming the difference in camping gear. I have tons of camping gear, but if I took it I would need two pack mules and a team of sherpas. Slowly building my somewhat ultra light backpacking set up and hoping to gain some good info on this forum. Thanks for having me!

The plan is to conquer the John Muir and then the Rockies!

Hello from Ohio,

Being from Michigan, as soon as I read this my first thought was, "there goes the neighborhood." :facepalm:

I'll consider BCP the DMZ and play friendly with the guy from "down south." ;)

All kiding aside, welcome. BCP is a great forum and I'm comfortable in saying if you participate in the discussions
and learn from the experts here very few trails will be a feet or feat or you. :)

Being from Michigan, as soon as I read this my first thought was, "there goes the neighborhood." :facepalm:

All kiding aside, welcome. BCP is a great forum and I'm comfortable in saying if you participate in the discussions
and learn from the experts here very few trails will be a feet or feat or you. :)
I'm in southern Ohio, just north a Cincy, so THANKFULLY I don't have to deal with Michigan drivers much. ;)

Welcome. The John Muir trail is world-class, no matter where you're from.

You're much nicer than I am Dr Ned! Go Blue!

Seriously though, welcome. Us midwesterners have one advantage - because we didn't grow up with the beautiful mountains and amazing landscapes, we appreciate it much more than the majority of people who grew up with it in their backyards!