New guy.

How goes it? Figured I'd introduce myself. I'm really a novice to the outdoors. Always had a passion for the outdoors, just never had an opportunity as a child or young adult to get out there.

Now that I've got kids of my own, we've started camping at our local state parks grounds.

My little girl has expressed interest in hiking and backpacking. So that's why I've joined, to learn as much as possible before we take that first big trip!

We'll stick with "domesticated" campgrounds for now as we hone our gear and skills.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Welcome, you've hit the intel jackpot.

How old is your girl?
She's 7, and man she's eating this stuff up.

We're taking a small trip to Huntsville State Park this spring to hone some of our gear, work on compass skills, and we'll hike a small few loops to see how she feels.

My hope, one day, is we'll be planing big trips to Northern California, Oregon, and the Smokey Mountains!

Welcome. We took our son on his first backpacking trip when he was around seven. We made sure he had a friend with him (essential, at least for him). We bought a large day pack, large enough for his sleeping bag (and his blanky). He felt grown up carrying his own stuff. It's a very enriching experience, for everyone. Have fun!

I think we'll plan a trip for the Smoky Mountains first.

I'd like to plan a 3 night trip where we hike in to two different camps. Stopping back at the first camp for the last night before heading out.

Not sure how easy it is to find or plan something like that. But, the goal is to be ready for her first big trip in spring next year.

There are a few of us here who live in the southeast who can help you find places to go in the southern Appalachians.

There are a few of us here who live in the southeast who can help you find places to go in the southern Appalachians.
Awesome! I'm going to pull some maps of the Smoky Mountains Park website and start looking.

Awesome! I'm going to pull some maps of the Smoky Mountains Park website and start looking.
Are you set on going into the Park? There are a lot of beautiful places outside the Park that don't have the same kinds of camping restrictions and regulations that you find in the Park.

Are you set on going into the Park? There are a lot of beautiful places outside the Park that don't have the same kinds of camping restrictions and regulations that you find in the Park.
I'd like to hit the park, I was thinking about coming in through Deep Creek Campground. There's lot of trails and backcountry camp sites.

I see you need a permit for backpacking and back country camping, but do you also need a permit for the front country campsites?