Kayak carrying

Dave

Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"
I'm hoping to do a Green River float in April using a couple of skin on frame kayaks. I'm planning to carry them on the roof of my Subaru wagon, but I'm not quite sure how as of yet. Some J bars are the obvious choice but I'd like to avoid the expense if possible.

Does anyone have suggestions on cheaper alternatives/DIY solutions for carrying small watercraft topside?

I have two of these on my Xterra for carrying kayaks. I don't know if they would fit on your Subaru roof rack, or not, but if they did, I'd be happy to loan them to you.

Thanks Aldaron I should mention I have factory crossbars, a rusty Yakima towers/bars setup and a roof basket with which to work.

If you want to research it and see if it will work, let me know and I can meet up with you.

I just took one off to look at it. I thought it could be custom sized for the rack, but it looks like it's built specifically for the Xterra rack. The bar would need to be about 3.5" wide and at least 1.75" tall for it to fit.

I'm hoping to do a Green River float in April using a couple of skin on frame kayaks. I'm planning to carry them on the roof of my Subaru wagon, but I'm not quite sure how as of yet. Some J bars are the obvious choice but I'd like to avoid the expense if possible.

Does anyone have suggestions on cheaper alternatives/DIY solutions for carrying small watercraft topside?

I hail kayaks often and I've actually had 8 sea kayaks on the car at one time. It wasn't pretty. Most kayaks are finer glass or plastic and very rigged. That is NOT the case for Skin on Frame (SOF). You will have to take extra precautions with a SOF.

I'd be reluctant to haul them wih anything less that padded cross over bars.

Wade

From wnorton using an iPad and Tapatalk HD.

The boats are reasonably sturdy. They've survived several years of long hauls on trailers and abuse by teenage scouts. The cheapest alternative would obviously be foam blocks but I like the idea of a J cradle. I just can't justify spending $300 to carry two boats that cost less than that in materials combined.

I've hauled lots of kayaks and canoes. Never hauled an SOF. I've often strapped 2- 2X4's to my factory racks. This gives a wide surface to lay the kayaks. Some folks attach carpet to the wood to help protect their boats. Used this method for many boats at one time. It is a strong system but not certain your style of boat can handle it. The foam blocks work well on gunwales of canoes, never used for kayaks. They have different styles for kayaks I believe. Please let me know where you plan to paddle. Doubt I will have time to run the river this time out but gathering information for my trip:)

2x4's and carpet as mentioned above. Or you could always just lower the back window stuff them in and have your passenger hold on to them.

These kayaks are waaaay too long to fit in the cabin and I wouldn't want to haul them up from Mineral Bottom unsecured. I'm leaning toward using the Yak crossbars with an improvised deck of sorts.