Canoe or Kayak Camping

Dustin Rand

Dustino
In mid-June me and 2 close pals will be embarking on a 3 night trip. We're looking to have a relaxing paddle (preferably a loop) and fish, cookout, short day hikes, and sit around a campfire at night.

Right now we're leaning towards Cranberry Lake in upstate NY given it's remoteness and beauty. BUT, we're not 100% committed to this location just yet.

Any other suggestions? I'm looking for someplace that is upstate NY or someplace that is less than a 6 hour drive from NYC. Rentals and transportation are both very important.

Thanks all

Cranberry Lake is really nice, I would love to go back there... its been about 20 years since I was in that area of the ADKs. I used to spend nearly 2 weeks every summer out there. There should be plenty of amazing options for you in the Adirondacks for Canoe/Kayak trips. This site may not be the best resource, I am not sure how many folks on here are active in the Adirondack/Upstate NY area. Check out this websites suggestions for ideas though, including their Cranberry lake trip: https://www.canoeoutfitters.com/trip-planning/routes

From there maybe google is your friend to try and find a forum with some experienced paddlers in the area.

Cranberry Lake is really nice, I would love to go back there... its been about 20 years since I was in that area of the ADKs. I used to spend nearly 2 weeks every summer out there. There should be plenty of amazing options for you in the Adirondacks for Canoe/Kayak trips. This site may not be the best resource, I am not sure how many folks on here are active in the Adirondack/Upstate NY area. Check out this websites suggestions for ideas though, including their Cranberry lake trip: https://www.canoeoutfitters.com/trip-planning/routes

From there maybe google is your friend to try and find a forum with some experienced paddlers in the area.

Canoeoutfitters is actually the same site my buddy used when he came up with this trip idea. How's the camping out there? The only campground map I can find seems to only show designates sites on the Northeast/East side of the lake. Do you know if wild camping is allowed?

I noticed there are tons of islands, some big some small, and it would be pretty kickass if we could set up a base in one of them for a night or two.

Yeah. So you should look at the NYSDEC website and read about primitive camping. A lot of the wilderness areas in the ADKs allow wilderness camping. It's always best to camp in a designated spot, they are usually marked well. They are first come first serve.

Here: http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/regions_pdf/cranberrylakewildforest.pdf

That should be enough to get you started planning. I'd really encourage you to pick up a map of the area and read up on the website. Everything that you want to do is totally doable.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
SirDonB General Canoe/Kayak Trip Planning Trip Planning 9
steve Invite Kayak/Canoe Trip on the Green River - May 8-11 Meet Up (Members Only) 7
Nick Kayak or Canoe? Gear 28
Nick Kayak/Canoe Rack for Full Size Truck w/Tonneau Gear 15
kwc Wiliam C. Whitney Wilderness canoe camping (Adirondacks) On The Water 10
gnwatts Grand Canyon by canoe On The Water 2
S Backcountry camping tips for Wind Rivers - upper Green River valley via canoe Trip Planning 5
S Yukon River family + puppy canoe trip On The Water 4
scatman Yellowstone Lake - 2 Week Canoe Trip - Summer 2019 Trip Planning 24
kwc one more Adirondack Canoe Day trip - Fall Lake Stream On The Water 2
kwc another Adirondack Canoe day trip On The Water 5
P New to the canoe life Gear Reviews 5
natylka Fisher Towers Section of the Colorado River-Canoe Trip Trip Planning 3
powderglut 1981 Hole In The Rock Canoe Adventure On The Water 24
Spencer Sutherland Canoe Trip in the Boundary Waters Trip Planning 2
uintahiker Building my canoe General Discussion 53
b.stark Missouri River Canoe Trip On The Water 9
Tres Westbrook Green River Canoe Trip - Mineral Bottom to Spanish Bottom May 24-29, 2015 (Part 1 - Days 1 and 2) On The Water 5
Vegan.Hiker Northern Forest Canoe Trail - Section 2 On The Water 10
Tres Westbrook Advice for Stillwater Canyon Canoe trip - late May. Trip Planning 6
uintahiker Update on my canoe General Discussion 4
baltocharlie I'm wrong, kayaks over canoe General Discussion 4
uintahiker Gear Review Pelican Navigator Canoe Gear Reviews 3
kwc Inaugurating My Inflatable Kayak On The Water 3
Yvonne Inflatable Kayak Gear 3
o2bav8 Kayak Adventure on Glen Canyon Hiking & Camping 4
Nick Mmmm... kayak General Discussion 1
steve Gear Review Sea Eagle Fast Track 385 Inflatable Kayak Review Gear Reviews 44
Nick Kayak mount system for pontoon boat Gear 21
Nick DIY Submarine/Kayak General Discussion 0
Dave Kayak carrying Gear 9
Parma Camping with a double high air mattress? General Discussion 2
Jackson What does "car camping" mean, in your opinion? General Discussion 33
dhertbag Camping at Cottonwood Cove - Coyote Buttes South Trip Planning 11
norwegianxplorer Backpacking SAREK NATIONAL PARK, Arctic Sweden, Camping Above RAPADALEN delta. Backpacking 7
Rockskipper Car Camping Tent Suggestions Gear 37
norwegianxplorer Winter storms, camping in Norway Trip Reports 0
Dreamer Sublette County backroads fly fishing and truck camping On The Water 7
G Dispersed camping near Zion? Trip Planning 5
IlVagabondo Yellowstone Camping Question General Discussion 13
swmalone Camping suggestions for Escalante in May Trip Planning 2
TeamJenkins17 Wyoming winter camping Trip Planning 4
TrektheWorld Family Camping Vehicle & Camper with bikes and an HOA Gear 13
swmalone Yellowstone Camping Trip - August 18-20, 2020 Hiking & Camping 21
kwc Northern Adirondack car camping On The Water 0
Happyidiot Looking for camping spot close to Denver. General Discussion 2
A Virginia/Delaware Camping Trip Planning 4