Kayak/Canoe Rack for Full Size Truck w/Tonneau

Nick

-
Does anyone have any ideas on how to transport kayaks or canoes on a full size truck with a tonneau cover?

Like this:
tundra-tonneau-rack.jpg

All of the options I'm finding don't seem like they'd be all that great. I could remove the tonneau and put those bed stands on the back but that would kind of suck. I could put a full rack on the roof but that might be too far forward? That would also be really expensive. I'd love to figure out a cheap way to carry a kayak immediately and perhaps a better, more permanent way for once I actually purchase one. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I'm assuming a recreational kayak and not a whitewater boat...something in the 12-14' range? I think the bars over the cab like in the picture of the Taco above would suffice. The rack setup in the back seems like to much, unless its a very long sea kayak. mount the bars as far apart as you can, place the boat on top, strap it down, and you can add extra security by tying it down with a strap or rope to your hitch in the back, and the front too if you have a place for it. That would be your cheapest, simplest option. The kayak should have a handle or loop in the front and back to secure it.

If you want to step it up a notch you could add Stackers to the cross bars, that way you can put the boat on its side...thats how I've been transporting kayaks for years...again it will depend on the boat...
http://www.yakima.com/shop/water/roof/kayak-stacker/

or just take off the tonneau and make your own rig...:)
PA020029.jpg

Ha! Nice!

That rack on the Taco looks perfect! I'm planning on putting sea kayaks and canoes on it so I'm thinking more like 16-18 feet? In that case would the two cross bars just on the top without the 'dry dock' on the back be too small?

I suppose I could put it on Audra's vehicle until I get the proper setup but hers doesn't have crossbars either.

Yeah that setup in the pic would be ideal for long boats like sea kayaks. I wouldn't trust just the cross bars to anything over 12', maybe 14'. That's a sweet rig, and Yakima makes quailty racks.

How many boats simultaneously?

I'd like to have two on for sure. I'm leaning towards the Yakima Dry Dock on the back with one set of Q Towers and a round bar on the roof. The truck width is nearly 80" so I'm thinking the wider 78" bars would be fine, especially since I'll only have it on when I'm transporting boats. I'm thinking that definitely fit two side by side canoes or maybe 3 kayaks?

78" for a pair of kayaks is more than enough, for three it's about right. Canoes would depend on the size/width of the canoes.

If the canoes do not fit 78" just stack one @ 45 degree to the other. Easily done. The big canoes go about 40" wide. Those are the tripper styles, long distance huge haulers(1000lbs). Great for river runner with gear though.
Personally, I prefer a cap for the truck bed with racks. Allows access to gear while traveling.

Depending on boats your cab may just be big enough to hold them. Your cab is as long/wide as many cars so should be able to handle most boats, if not all boats. Heck I put a an Old Town Tripper on my Toyota Echo with ease.

FWIW: I always wondered if the truck cab and bed flex while 4x4 driving. There must be some flex. If there is, then what will that do to a boat anchored to both sections. The rear rope is the leas important one...unless you suddenly stop:) The center straps the most important.

I love BJetts picture. I've seen more extreme than that. Amazing what you can throw onto the roof of a car/truck/van

I see more gear coming your way:)

Sweet! I'll check it out. Even if I start out with a kayak, I'm 99% sure I'll still get a canoe too. I can think of a lot of situations where I'd want one and not the other. Although I still think I'm going to try to stick a dog in my yak at least once. Operation kayak test begins this weekend!