Guess the spot: Maps Edition

Haven't been there yet.....too far down the canyon in elevation.....remember I hate going up.... :cry:

Haven't been there yet.....too far down the canyon in elevation.....remember I hate going up.... :cry:
I figured there was some shorter approach from the Eastern slope of the range. Perhaps that's incorrect. I'll have to get that book recommended by @Artemus. Looks great!

Day half to two days from east or west side..... Up the Dinwoody, over Ink Wells, over E Indian Pass..... Good Golden fishing in Lake nearby, but I might have to kill you if I told,,,, :eek:

Wow, I like it already - it's on my radar too, once I find out where it is. Interesting trail system, it looks like the trail going north from the pass up & into a deep narrow valley may connect with the valley spur to the west, could make a nice loop route. Its layout kind of reminds me of the northwestern (Jerome Rock Lakes, Spanish Lakes, etc) area of Spanish Peaks Wilderness, but it's not, pretty sure that area is higher elevation than this.

Nope

Seven Lakes Basin near the Selway Crags. Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness.

It looked a lot like the Bighorn Crags to me at first, but then I remembered reading about the Seven Lakes area in an Idaho Trails book last year. Looks like a great place.

Nice, Jackson! Yep, you're right - Lottie, Mud, etc. Part of Stanley Butte in the corner. I even have a map with a route planned precisely through there too, that I plotted out last summer.

Do we have to wait for @Bob to verify? ;-)

You got it.... Selway Crags area....found it faster than I thought

Wow. You guys are playing with each other. You are really good at this.

I figured there was some shorter approach from the Eastern slope of the range. Perhaps that's incorrect. I'll have to get that book recommended by @Artemus. Looks great!
Pallister's book is great. hiked through the Milky Lakes area last summer... as we were forced off the ridge by high winds. Upper Milky Lakes is really great. Lower Milky Lakes is a total slog in spots through some thick and wooded nastiness. I'd suggest hiking over Europe pass, chilling at upper Milky Lakes, and then going out the way you came (or just traversing the ridge NE toward Golden Lakes).

Milky Lakes is also pretty somewhat accessible from Golden Lake, if you hike down that little canyon. Again, the lower Milky Lakes region is kind of overgrown with large boulders and such, but passable.

Pallister's book is great. hiked through the Milky Lakes area last summer... as we were forced off the ridge by high winds. Upper Milky Lakes is really great. Lower Milky Lakes is a total slog in spots through some thick and wooded nastiness. I'd suggest hiking over Europe pass, chilling at upper Milky Lakes, and then going out the way you came (or just traversing the ridge NE toward Golden Lakes).

Milky Lakes is also pretty somewhat accessible from Golden Lake, if you hike down that little canyon. Again, the lower Milky Lakes region is kind of overgrown with large boulders and such, but passable.

After a bit of Caltopo research, I believe we're talking about two different sets of Milky Lakes; Upper & Lower and Big & Little. I circled the ones you mentioned in yellow and the ones I was talking about in red.
lakes.png

They seem pretty close to each other to be bearing the same name. I looked up some photographs of the ones you mentioned, and that looks like a great spot.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I wish I had a guess for @Outdoor_Fool's map.

After a bit of Caltopo research, I believe we're talking about two different sets of Milky Lakes; Upper & Lower and Big & Little. I circled the ones you mentioned in yellow and the ones I was talking about in red.
View attachment 40464

They seem pretty close to each other to be bearing the same name. I looked up some photographs of the ones you mentioned, and that looks like a great spot.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. I wish I had a guess for @Outdoor_Fool's map.
My Milky Lakes can beat up your Milky Lakes! :D

Last edited:
Back