Four Wheel Campers

Nick

-
Anyone here know anything about Four Wheel Campers? It's a brand of pop-up truck camper that has a bit of a cult following. I've seen them around but I really took notice of one this weekend out at Toroweap when I noticed how nice it fit in a short bed truck bed. This one was parked in the site next to us:

IMG_1372.jpg

After talking to the owner of that one, and doing a ton of research, I'm now feeling a little obsessed about getting my own. Going to the showroom today and getting in one didn't help much. I usually prefer to just sleep on the ground with no tent, but I'd really like to be able to take Audra out on more trips including off-season cold weather and long road trips type trips and this would make it really easy and fun for her. And the king size bed option would be like being at home. It would also be pretty nice to just always have my stuff packed and ready to go for trips the usual trips. Even if I'm going backpacking or river rafting, the stuff for the pre-camp night would always just be right there ready to go and I can still tow my raft trailer. Just get to camp, pop it up, go to sleep, close it down in the morning and hit the trail.

I have a pretty huge list of pros and cons going through my head. If I do it, do I go with the smaller one for the 5.5 foot bed on my current truck or do I go up a notch and get a 6.5 foot bed? Do I leave it on most all the time or spend the 30 minutes to take it off in between trips? Do I get one loaded or go bare bones and build my own interior? So many questions. Opinions/thoughts/experience much appreciated.

Here's what the short bed version looks like when it's not popped up:
upload_2018-4-2_22-18-43.png

More info:
http://www.fourwh.com/

These look great! How do you get them on and off the truck, do you need some sort of a winch system in the garage?

I'd definitely be in the market for something like this if I didn't usually need to sleep 4 on camping trips, so instead of I have one of these:
http://www.jumpingjacktrailers.com/6x8-tent-trailer.php
Made locally in SLC. I really love it!
I don't, however, love driving with a trailer, especially in heavy traffic which I always seem to run into on the way into/out of SLC.

Yo Nick - I have one of these on my '06 Tundra. I have the Fleet model and I got it used as a shell model with a few options installed but its pretty bare bones. A buddy has the Finch on his Tacoma - again just the shell. Him and I are both obsessed with these campers. I've had mine for about 5 years and I could talk about it for hours. You're right in that it is extra sweet for things like the night before a river trip launch etc. In fact I just got back from a backpacking trip and the lure of the camper (and cold beer - well shitty weather too) sitting at the exit TH pulled us out a day early. They're also insanely great from an access standpoint as you can get in just about anywhere you'd take a truck - so you're not confined to more traditional trailer oriented camping spots.

I really enjoy getting out in the winter and having the bed + heater was a game changer in terms of having the wife join.

We did an awesome week long road trip last summer in southern Utah living out of it that was so great.

I'm a huge proponent of the just a shell model with a heater. I did get a small solar array installed but its overkill. The shell keeps storage space open and cost as well as weight down. Most of the time you'll be hanging out outside the camper anyways. I think the simplicity of not having to winterize or deal with any maintenance of fridges/water tanks etc. is also huge. Its basically a heated tent with a really nice bed.

I was really surprised also how large the Finch felt for being the "smaller" model.

Happy to answer any other questions you have! I've utilized and enjoyed mine more than I ever thought I would. Its so great to have in so many different situations.

Couple shots from some camp spots this last Feb
gov trail-2(1).jpg

sunset.jpg

Last edited:
Another fan of the 4wd camper....
We have had ours for 10 years, Eagle model that fits Tacos etc, now replaced by the wider Fleet model.
We view it as a compact mobile basecamp- spending most of our time outside when the weather is good, but it sure is a nice refuge when things turn ugly, and as a quick to setup pit stop when travelling. We bought ours close to fully loaded- 3 way fridge, stove, house battery, furnace, etc. Ours sees only 3 season use so the furnace doesn't get turned on much, maybe for a quick warmup on cold mornings or evenings, and it is a bit noisy. Condensation can be a bit of an issue in below zero temps, especially if doing a lot of cooking inside. I added the solar for some extra juice for evening lighting in the shoulder seasons. In addition to the cost as they are spendy even for the shell model- all that extra stuff adds to the weight, and most owners seems to install some sort of assist to the suspension, in our case Firestone "air bags" on the rear.
As it is mounted on my work truck- I only keep it on as needed. I have the procedure dialled- from pulling into my garage with the everyday truck cap on, to being ready to roll with camper mounted takes me less than an hour. The most finicky part is hooking up the concealed mounting system which always seems a bit kludgy.
Anyway- that's all I have time for now- fire away with any further questions.In the meantime, this might keep you busy:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/forum/4-four-wheel-camper-discussions/

IMGP5886-copy.jpg

P1010286-copy-3.jpg

Looks awesome but I'd want something I could cook in for Greater Yellowstone. I love grizzlies but they just make it too dangerous for most popups unless you never cook or use other odorous stuff inside.

as long as every one's talking about theirs, what are the price ranges

Last edited:
Awesome feedback, thanks everyone! I have many questions I will ask a bit later.

as long as every one's talking about theirs, what are teh price ranges

For the shell model brand new they are $11k. For the base which includes a heater, fridge, rollover couch and some other stuff you're looking at $18k. Load one up and you can easily make it $25-$35k depending on options.

You can also get them used of course, but there is high demand and they usually sell within a day at whatever price they are listed for. The guy camped next to me at Toroweap had a 2004 model and he paid around $6k for it.

Reactions: Ben
Just curious, what makes this manufacturer's popup better than others? I have never looked into one, but like the idea.

Friends have one and really like it. The company was recently bought out by an investment group, so who knows if the quality will stay high?

I'm a huge proponent of the just a shell model with a heater. I did get a small solar array installed but its overkill. The shell keeps storage space open and cost as well as weight down. Most of the time you'll be hanging out outside the camper anyways. I think the simplicity of not having to winterize or deal with any maintenance of fridges/water tanks etc. is also huge. Its basically a heated tent with a really nice bed.

Awesome, Matt! Now I want one even more knowing you like yours so much! I've been bouncing back and forth on doing a shell vs. a more loaded option so this is good to hear about. I'd still kind of like to have a somewhat functional setup in a shell so I was thinking about rigging up my own gear in there that could be fastened in and then detached and taken out in camp as desired. Is that kind of what you do or do you just load and unload? The photo of that river table is a good example. I was thinking about getting one of those and somehow clipping it in so it could be the countertop in the camper or the table in camp, depending on situation.

I was thinking about doing solar and some sort of fridge just to not deal with ice but maybe a portable ARB type would be better than the built-in things? The water tank issue makes total sense, especially as I'd definitely want to be using this in the winter.

As it is mounted on my work truck- I only keep it on as needed. I have the procedure dialled- from pulling into my garage with the everyday truck cap on, to being ready to roll with camper mounted takes me less than an hour. The most finicky part is hooking up the concealed mounting system which always seems a bit kludgy.
Anyway- that's all I have time for now- fire away with any further questions.In the meantime, this might keep you busy:
http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/forum/4-four-wheel-camper-discussions/

That's good to know. I'm concerned about leaving it on a lot vs. taking it off every time. And that forum link has been an incredible resource. I'm sure I'll have more questions!

What do you guys think about awnings on FWC campers? The factory options are steep. $1200 for the 8' that goes out the side or $1750 for the bat awning that wraps around the back and side. Looks like I could get the same stuff for less but I wonder how much value is in having them install it so it hits the right anchor points, etc.

upload_2018-4-3_12-23-36.png

upload_2018-4-3_12-24-6.png

Awesome feedback, thanks everyone! I have many questions I will ask a bit later.

For the shell model brand new they are $11k. For the base which includes a heater, fridge, rollover couch and some other stuff you're looking at $18k. Load one up and you can easily make it $25-$35k depending on options.

You can also get them used of course, but there is high demand and they usually sell within a day at whatever price they are listed for. The guy camped next to me at Toroweap had a 2004 model and he paid around $6k for it.
At those prices you certainly have a lot of options. Don't rule out trailers for off road use. Hard shells retain heat, don't flap in the wind, don't dust up as much, can be dropped in a camp while your truck can roam, allow for camping in bear country, are much larger and ergometric for a given space, can come with toilets, water etc, are much more private, can sleep more people and will be much more comfortable when bad weather confines you to inside. A big one for me is to not have to lower and repack every time the truck moves. You also retain full use of the cargo bed for gear and extras.
heres a list for starters, but you may have already searched this out.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1601-10-off-road-camping-trailers-perfect-for-your-jeep/

At those prices you certainly have a lot of options. Don't rule out trailers for off road use. Hard shells retain heat, don't flap in the wind, don't dust up as much, can be dropped in a camp while your truck can roam, allow for camping in bear country, are much larger and ergometric for a given space, can come with toilets, water etc, are much more private, can sleep more people and will be much more comfortable when bad weather confines you to inside. A big one for me is to not have to lower and repack every time the truck moves. You also retain full use of the cargo bed for gear and extras.
heres a list for starters, but you may have already searched this out.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/product-reviews/1601-10-off-road-camping-trailers-perfect-for-your-jeep/

There's definitely pros and cons between a trailer and a truck camper, but for me the cons on the trailer are a no-go. I can't tow my raft trailer while towing another trailer and I am much more limited on the places I can go. I hate going down a dirt road with something in tow not knowing if I'm going to get in a jam. And I just would not want to tow a trailer on a long road trip. There's so much freedom in having everything all together and not worrying about the trailer. Also, I'm not a fan of roof top tents. I'd end up just sleeping outside for that amount of hassle. A friend of mine has a Turtleback off-road trailer and it is pretty sweet, but still a trailer...

maze-2016-5-jpg.50660

What do you guys think about awnings on FWC campers? The factory options are steep. $1200 for the 8' that goes out the side or $1750 for the bat awning that wraps around the back and side. Looks like I could get the same stuff for less but I wonder how much value is in having them install it so it hits the right anchor points, etc.

View attachment 63079

View attachment 63080

I would wonder about that first one in the wind. It looks like it needs to be up in order to access the camper? I think that would be sketchy at least in high wind.

I would wonder about that first one in the wind. It looks like it needs to be up in order to access the camper? I think that would be sketchy at least in high wind.

No, it folds in flat against the side and the camper is still useable. It also has legs that comes down and anchors so you could leave it up in the wind. This video shows it better:

No, it folds in flat against the side and the camper is still useable. It also has legs that comes down and anchors so you could leave it up in the wind. This video shows it better:

OIC! Very nice!

There's definitely pros and cons between a trailer and a truck camper, but for me the cons on the trailer are a no-go. I can't tow my raft trailer while towing another trailer and I am much more limited on the places I can go. I hate going down a dirt road with something in tow not knowing if I'm going to get in a jam. And I just would not want to tow a trailer on a long road trip. There's so much freedom in having everything all together and not worrying about the trailer. Also, I'm not a fan of roof top tents. I'd end up just sleeping outside for that amount of hassle. A friend of mine has a Turtleback off-road trailer and it is pretty sweet, but still a trailer...

maze-2016-5-jpg.50660
We all really need a quiver of these things, sadly then there is the money thing...