Four Wheel Campers

Found this on reddit, either pretty ingenious or stupid? Not sure what the trailer is, but looks pretty beefy for off road travel.

tvxitcw9jtt11.jpg

Although I agree with Nick that dealing with a trailer is a bit of a pain and I'd rather not, I have one I could stick our camper on like that. Did cross my mind that we might get a lot better gas mileage if we were only doing tamer roads and towed it with our Outback instead of the 350 Chevy 3/4 ton. You could easily drop the trailer and go explore too. Think I'd still like ease and capability of the truck though.

Good to know they have special buy deals on that panel Nick, should've been watching that. I was going to get it at Home Depot too. I do wonder about the flexible panels FWC is I think using now, did you look at those? https://overlandsolar.com/collectio...ible-sunpower-gen-3-panel?variant=50313916435 6lbs for a 160W vs. 26lbs for the Grape one. I know people say in the past flexible panels have not been too long lasting, but wonder if they're improving that. Still seems like glass is always going to hold up better. As long as the BFG KO2's don't kick a rock up on them! If you were going to put a second Grape 180 watt one on the roof (which would be a tight fit wouldn't it?) you might try putting some weight on the roof and try it first. When I put that much on mine to test, even with the 40 lbs struts it was a real pain to pop up. Down would be easy. :cool:

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
RyanP Four Days in the IPW (8/9 - 8/12) Backpacking 17
D Four Days in the Maze, April 17-20 2023 Backpacking 7
V four day backpacking trip in southern Utah starting this weekend Trip Planning 4
2eez4life Four lakes or Naturalist Trip Planning 5
Mountain Wanderer Four Lakes Basin in the Southern Cabinet Mountains - Montana Backpacking 12
Laura V. Four Days in Salt Creek Canyon, April 2021 Backpacking 31
napatony13 Four Day, Four State Petroglyph Tour Hiking & Camping 10
WasatchWill The High Uintas 4-4-4: Four Basins, Four Passes, Four Days Backpacking 20
NorthwestWanderer Big Four Ice Caves Hiking & Camping 1
Mikjik86 Backpacking Four Pass Loop Backpacking 2
Boognish Four days in the High Sierra Backpacking 10
regehr Three of the Four American Fork Twin Peaks Hiking & Camping 10
Joey Backpacking Colorado's Maroon Bells, Snowmass Wilderness, Four Pass Loop in mid October Backpacking 21
danger02ward Grandaddy Basin, Four Lakes Basin, Cyclone Pass Backpacking 0
kansas ruins in the four corners area Trip Planning 6
Shannon Three-four day loop trail ideas? Trip Planning 2
natylka 23 miles of GrandDaddy Basin and Four Lakes Backpacking in July Backpacking 2
ram Part four- Bargain Basement Canyoneering 1
Unimog Four Pass Loop this August Trip Planning 8
Nick Four Lakes Basin - Uintas Backpacking 12
balzaccom Hate those ghost campers? Trip Planning 4
Rockskipper Campers escape by driving through wildfire in Glacier NP General Discussion 0