Four Wheel Campers

Funny you created this thread. I've been researching on truck campers last couple months. I visited Equipt(re-seller) of FWC here few months, unfortunately they didn't have model I was interested in to check out. I agree with you about towing trailer thing, as much as I love my teardrop, it has gotten me into a bind couple times and I don't feel comfortable going in super rough roads. Also I really hate not being able to sit down or stand inside my trailer. I am not totally committed to getting truck+camper but definitely leaning towards that direction.

Here's what I've gathered from my research so far:
- Shell model is to go if you are bit handy and want to do customizations yourself.
- FWC is not really a 4 season camper, there are few threads on internets out there, where people have condensation issues and what not in winter. May or may not be issue in Utah, depends how much you want to camp in snowy/winter conditions. Here's such one thread
- Build wise, hallmark is pretty much top of the league, for slightly higher price point. I saw one of these in white rim trail and it had me drooling. But these are more luxurious, if you will, have very open feel with lot of light coming in.
- Dometic/ARB 12v fridge than the fridge FWC comes with, efficiency/power consumption wise. Another reason I think shell model is more appealing, can put ur fridge/stove of ur choice.
- I think their turnaround time is around 8 weeks or so, whereas Hallmark is much longer because its more of a family operation unlike FWC.
- In case you do decide on FWC, Equipt is doing $1k off and some extra goodies (https://www.instagram.com/p/BgB2VJ5h7tf/?taken-by=equipt1 )

This guy has a thread about building out 2 shell swift models Obviously he's build skills are way too impressive.

I have also talked to Overland Explorer, they are coming out with pop-up campers They are built in Canada but have sales office in texas I think. I think this particular model would be amazing for winter camping, but it's kinda expensive at $25K and I don't think you get stove/fridge with that.

I am personally leaning towards getting Tundra SR5 and FWC hawk shell. I don't camp in winter a lot so it's not really a big issue for me. I've also wanted to checkout hallmark factory in colorado, but their hours are just weird on weekends.

No, it folds in flat against the side and the camper is still useable. It also has legs that comes down and anchors so you could leave it up in the wind. This video shows it better:

I have an Ezi-Awning Bat Wing on my Jeep. I am extremely happy with the awning. It's probably my best purchase for my Jeep, right after my ARB Fridge. It is pretty pricey though, but you can tell it is high quality.
It great for shade during lunch stops and I have also used it when it was raining (my buddy and I have sat under it at the edge of the Green River at Millard Campsite in the Maze District a whole evening while it was raining). It drains well and does not pool water like some of the ARB rectangular awnings can.
Another nice thing about this kind of awning is that you can open it up without having to put the legs down, if there is no wind (less than 5mph). If there is more than a slight breeze, you do have to put the legs down and stake them down. The bottom of the legs have 2 holes for stakes, so there are no guy lines to trip over (another advantage).
Because it opens up 270 degrees it keeps the back of my Jeep covered too, which is very nice if it's raining and you are trying to cook dinner.
As you can see in the video above, it opens and closes very easily by one person. I think it weights about 28lbs.

2014_Arizona_Strip_12.jpg

Funny you created this thread. I've been researching on truck campers last couple months. I visited Equipt(re-seller) of FWC here few months, unfortunately they didn't have model I was interested in to check out. I agree with you about towing trailer thing, as much as I love my teardrop, it has gotten me into a bind couple times and I don't feel comfortable going in super rough roads. Also I really hate not being able to sit down or stand inside my trailer. I am not totally committed to getting truck+camper but definitely leaning towards that direction.

Here's what I've gathered from my research so far:
- Shell model is to go if you are bit handy and want to do customizations yourself.
- FWC is not really a 4 season camper, there are few threads on internets out there, where people have condensation issues and what not in winter. May or may not be issue in Utah, depends how much you want to camp in snowy/winter conditions. Here's such one thread
- Build wise, hallmark is pretty much top of the league, for slightly higher price point. I saw one of these in white rim trail and it had me drooling. But these are more luxurious, if you will, have very open feel with lot of light coming in.
- Dometic/ARB 12v fridge than the fridge FWC comes with, efficiency/power consumption wise. Another reason I think shell model is more appealing, can put ur fridge/stove of ur choice.
- I think their turnaround time is around 8 weeks or so, whereas Hallmark is much longer because its more of a family operation unlike FWC.
- In case you do decide on FWC, Equipt is doing $1k off and some extra goodies (https://www.instagram.com/p/BgB2VJ5h7tf/?taken-by=equipt1 )

This guy has a thread about building out 2 shell swift models Obviously he's build skills are way too impressive.

I have also talked to Overland Explorer, they are coming out with pop-up campers They are built in Canada but have sales office in texas I think. I think this particular model would be amazing for winter camping, but it's kinda expensive at $25K and I don't think you get stove/fridge with that.

I am personally leaning towards getting Tundra SR5 and FWC hawk shell. I don't camp in winter a lot so it's not really a big issue for me. I've also wanted to checkout hallmark factory in colorado, but their hours are just weird on weekends.

SUPER helpful! Thanks @Nanda!

I'm feeling pretty torn between the shell version and stepping it up. I like the idea of having the blank canvas but my wife really likes the idea of having the factory-built cabinetry over there. But the premium for the sink, etc. is hefty when you compare everything. I've been trying to find pics of other people's solutions and so far none of them are swaying her... And I suppose my level of fine finish craftsmanship doesn't help much either.

I did already get a quote from Equipt and they told me about that deal as part of their open house this weekend. Sadly, they are running about 14 weeks out right now on new builds so even if I pulled the trigger this week, I'd be looking at delivery the second week of July. Right after my annual bday trip. :(

Reactions: Ben
The pop up system on those is pretty amazing! I wonder how bad you're screwed if the motor on the lift goes out.

That said, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Four Wheel Camper in the next few days. Audra won the debate over shell vs. loaded so we're looking at a Hawk with the Silver Spur package. And I might be swapping out my truck here soon to better fit it. Pretty. Dang. Excited.

The pop up system on those is pretty amazing! I wonder how bad you're screwed if the motor on the lift goes out.

That said, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Four Wheel Camper in the next few days. Audra won the debate over shell vs. loaded so we're looking at a Hawk with the Silver Spur package. And I might be swapping out my truck here soon to better fit it. Pretty. Dang. Excited.

Most rigs have a manual crank override. On my 5th wheel if the landing legs or slide outs motor were to fail there is a manual crank handle you can resort to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What truck are you going with?

What truck are you going with?

I'm leaning toward a 2018 Tundra TRD Sport double cab. My biggest hang up is that I love the Ford 3.5 liter EcoBoost so much, but it's nearly impossible to get a supercab F150 with a nice trim level. The Toyota 5.7 V8 is fun to drive but so inefficient and not quite as punchy from the start. And I'm just not willing to go up in size or go to GM, Ram or Nissan, so I feel like my options are somewhat limited to get a 6.5 foot bed.

Seeing this TRD Sport today with a lift, wheels, leather added, etc. definitely got me feeling better about going back to Toyota. Although I think I'll get a different color and put my own choice of upgrades on.

IMG_1441.JPG

Nice, pretty much same exact configuration I've been looking at. I looked at Nissan titan but didn't like it, and reviews weren't exactly stellar for it.

Bat wing- I would buy it just for the name.

I had a different brand of pop up truck camper. I wish I did have a 4 Wheel but $$$ and location got in the way. I really enjoy having a comfy bed, and that furnace... that is so sweet when it's chilly. I also think of it as a wonderful tent, and I love being able to sit up and read and then make a cup of coffee, all without having to get out of the tent or get cold. I hate what it does to the mpgs, and I need another person to help me put the camper on the truck, or take it off. I agree that just having the shell with a furnace would work well. Mine has comfy cushions and a stove and a sink. I never put water in the tank, though. I do use the stove, but keep only a couple of larger pans from a silver stone backpacking cook kit. I haven't carried that in years.

You can ask all kinds of questions about truck campers if you go to http://www.truckcamperforums.com. The people are nice and they'll answer anything they possibly can. They tend toward the Lance rigs, and other larger rigs, but they have been very helpful to me. I took a trip to North Carolina to hike on the AT, and after the hike, a nice couple from the forum gave me a tour of their town, bought me lunch and just generally treated me great. When I moved to Wyoming and had a camper problem, when I asked a question (not for help) someone invited me to their home to look at the problem. He fixed it.

Because it can be hard seeing what's behind you, I do recommend that you install a backup camera above or beside the back door. They don't have to be expensive, but it can help you avoid backing into trees or other immovable objects.

Oh, over the years, I must have subconsciously been planning for the truck camper. I have an inflatable kayak and a folding bicycle. I probably look like a traveling circus. Oh well...

My Four Wheel Camper has been ordered! This is what we ended up getting:

FWC Hawk
Silver Spur package
Front dinette
King bed upgrade
130 liter fridge
Yakima tracks
2 fantastic fans
water heater+shower
flush stove and sink
thermal pack
rear wall steps
furnace
dual battery
jacks

Not cheap, but I think it's going to be worth every penny. It's going to be a long wait until July...

My Four Wheel Camper has been ordered! This is what we ended up getting:

FWC Hawk
Silver Spur package
Front dinette
King bed upgrade
130 liter fridge
Yakima tracks
2 fantastic fans
water heater+shower
flush stove and sink
thermal pack
rear wall steps
furnace
dual battery
jacks

Not cheap, but I think it's going to be worth every penny. It's going to be a long wait until July...

July? Holy cow! I’d be dying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet! Do they still offer a choice of firmness for the foam mattress? We went with "extra firm" and they were not kidding. At 200 lbs it's great for me, but after 10 years my petite wife still barely even makes a dent in it- she puts a thin foam pad under her side for a bit of cush.
Lot's of power hungry accessories, but no solar? I installed my own at somewhat less than factory.