Four Wheel Campers

Now that you've had this a while, I'm curious if you have any further comments or observations.

I am in love. Here are my thoughts so far. I've camped 12 nights in it so far, plus 2 in my driveway which I obviously don't count. I'm about to head out for another 3 nights down in the desert. Overall it has far surpassed my expectations. Here are some observations and things I like and don't like. I hate to be that person to love something just because I own it. I'm really trying to be subjective here. I've owned and been around boats and RV's so I feel like I have some perspective. Sorry this is so long...

First off, let me just say that I'm not even usually a fan of camping in a tent. Sleeping on the ground is a-okay with me. A lot of that is because I like being open to the night sky, but I think a lot of it is because I don't like the effort of putting it all up. So this has changed things a lot for me.

It is incredible easy to pop it up and take it down. I've been driving mine to work every day and inevitably someone wants to see the inside. It takes me about 60 seconds to pop the latches and get the roof up. Maybe another minute if I want to roll down all the windows in a pretty way, open the roof vents and make the place presentable. It's really easy. That said, adding a solar panel on the roof definitely made it feel heavier to pop up. My wife has to put a good amount of effort into the actual popping up part. I have read that you can upgrade the struts to make that easier, and I will probably do that over the winter.

It's very comfortable for 2 people inside, so long as you're not trying to stand in the same place. If you're sitting down and hanging out, playing a game or something, I could easily see having 4 people in comfort. Small people could up that number. My wife and I lived out of it for 10 nights and 2600 miles in the PNW and it never felt cramped. We never even came close to using the storage space available, although we did keep most of our clothes in the back seat of the truck. We also restocked food and beverage a couple of times along the way.

The king bed is massive and great to sleep on. It's on the firm side of things and we've considered adding a topper like many have, but so far we're reluctant to add a layer of complexity to the setup and storage. I sleep very well on it.

Speaking of sleeping, it's so awesome to be able to sleep in for hours after the sun comes up when highs are in the 90's in the desert. That's what I did a the weekend before last, and it was amazing. And that was without running either of the fans. One afternoon I took a nap when it was 93 degrees out in the middle of the afternoon, with the fan over the bed running. It was a little warm in there, but not bad.

While the king size bed is amazing, sliding it out at times is kind of annoying. When it's just me and my wife, sometimes she wants to go to bed without me and I want to stay up but work on something inside. But extending the bed eliminates the use of the dinette. One night she just slept on the upper bed and I slept on the lower bed so I could wake up and dial in to a meeting early in the morning. That worked out well. Now you're probably thinking, "this is not camping!". And yeah, I kind of agree, but if I can have a tool that enables me to stay out longer, even if it means mixing some work with pleasure, then count me in. In non-campground, more remote locations and with friends, I would definitely just hang out outside and let her go to sleep.

Speaking of which, this thing makes campground camping tolerable. I still hate it, and would avoid it whenever possible, but sometimes there is no public land to just go park on. The coast is a good example. If I had to tent camp in those places, I'm not sure I would do it.

The stove inside is a piece of junk. It's good for making coffee in the morning, or soup, or small things, but it's not that powerful if you wanted to do real cooking. The burners are also really close together. That said, I never intended to cook much in it anyway. We keep a Partner stove on board and set it up outside, where we want to be. The camper has two propane tanks, one of which is a spare, so it's easy to break out and setup. One night on the last trip it was too windy to cook, so I did a full bacon/eggs thing in the camper for dinner. I peeled back the thermal pack soft layer to keep anything from splattering on it. It worked out okay but more BTU's would have made it go faster, but would have also splattered more grease around.

Doing dishes in a sink with a water heater is pretty awesome. The downside is that it uses a lot of water if you're not careful.

The grey water system, or lack thereof is not the best. The default method is that you hook a hose up to a fitting on the side of the camper and drop one end in a bucket or water jug. That catches all your grey water, then you just dump it out somewhere. It's not that bad, but I want to build an integrated system to make it easier. I have some ideas but for now it's only a minor inconvenience.

Having a water faucet outside the camper is great for filling dog bowls, brushing teeth, filling bottles, etc. Unfortunately this is also one of the cheapest plastic-y things on the camper. It doesn't match the otherwise extremely high build quality. Wish they would have put a more solid spigot in. It will need to be replaced eventually.

Showering when out in the middle of nowhere is amazing. I need a better privacy method for when people are around, but being able to clean up midway through a trip, or before going home, is really, really nice.

I'm pleased with how well the dual batteries keeps everything powered. I added a solar panel, inverter and solar charge controller and it makes it hard for me to understand how everyone doesn't have it. The wires form the alternator to the camper are small and don't allow a very fast charge, so the solar actually does more good than running the truck. This may change as the sun angle fades, but in sunny Utah, and even Oregon and Washington when we went, I can run most anything I want and the batteries won't dip very low and the sun will top them off with ease everyday. The lowest I've ever gotten is 68% and I've only had one day that I didn't get topped back up to 100% from driving and solar. I may add another panel that I can tilt in the winter. Or perhaps just a portable panel that I can position on the ground. I may also change my batteries to lithium. Definitely by the time I need to replace them in a few years, if not sooner.

RV fridges are awesome and horrible at the same time. Mine is on the large side at 130 qt (max from FWC). I can go shopping days in advance and load up my fridge and forget about it. I can make ice in the middle of nowhere. I can't however keep all the stuff in there from flying all over the place when I drive around. I'll be trying some new options to make that less of an issue on this next trip.

Camping solo out of this thing is AMAZING. I've never liked car camping solo. Backpacking solo was more pleasing because I had more to keep busy with. But car camping out of this by myself is incredibly good. I don't know what it is. Just the ease of driving around and then pick a spot and pop the top maybe. No messing with setting everything up. It's not a big event, you're just out there living. Then just park it and go do a hike or relax or whatever. There is always ample shade on one side of it most of the year, although an awning will be coming at some point.

It's not bad to drive around as a daily driver, but it's not great either. In the back of my Tundra, I can definitely feel the weight. It's no problem for the power available, but it definitely takes away some of the zippy sports car feel of the Tundra 5.7 V8. Fuel efficiency is obviously worse, although fuel efficiency in a Tundra pretty much always sucks. The way I drive and with meaty tires, I'm lucky to get 12-13 mpg without the camper. With it, I get about 11 mpg. That's a trade-off I can accept though, for what this rig grants me. I am seriously considering buying a commuter vehicle so I can leave it parked. Not just for the poor MPG, but to keep miles off of it since it is a purpose-built rig.

We haven't wanted or needed the furnace at night yet, but sometimes when it's cold in the morning, it's nice to kick it on right before hopping out of bed and while you're getting ready. It fires up fast and isn't annoying to sleep to when you're not quite ready to get out of bed.

The overall build quality of the camper itself is insanely good. I read somewhere online recently that someone was complaining that it took like 47 screws to get one panel off of their cabinetry to get access to the back end electronics (that you shouldn't need to access). That's a feature, in my opinion. You can get in if you need, but it's bomber for getting bumped around on dirt roads mile after mile.

I need to get a checklist for when it's time to close the thing down. I'm getting pretty good at remembering all of the things, but it should still exist, especially if I ever let a friend use it. It's easy to forgot to close the vents, for example. And one time in Oregon, I totally spaced latching the roof down and I ended up driving for probably 30-45 minutes with it unlatched. I had no idea until we stopped in the rainforest and went on a short hike to a waterfall. As we got back to the truck I thought someone had broken into it. But no, the wind had just popped it open in the front. I guess that's a testament to the build quality. I think a lot of campers out there would have blown apart at highway speeds.

I bet for a lot of people you're reading this thinking "I don't need all that stuff/luxury/unnecessary bullshit". And you are right. Sleeping on the ground or in tents is fine and I enjoy it. I just hate the process of doing it. Same reason I think most rooftop tents are stupid. I also hate the idea of towing anything at all, no matter how small or light. For me, this is the perfect balance. Yeah, I like sleeping outside, but with the crossflow in this thing, the only thing I lack is the view of the night sky, and I only see that for a few fleeting moments in my sleep when I rollover. This setup allows me to do everything but with so much ease. I could honestly live out of it and be pretty happy. In fact, I kind of want to lately. We'll see how I feel after another year.

Here are some pics. I've posted a bunch of these elsewhere, but some are new. Good to put them all here though.

Low quality panoramic photo from inside when we were hanging out in eastern Oregon. Night 10 of that trip.
pano-interior.jpg

My solar panel install (180 watts).
IMG_2287 2.jpg

A bunch of campsites and things...
IMG_3187.jpgIMG_3208.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg

Taking it on a ferry across the Puget Sound to Seattle. Yeah, that guy was totally checking it out.
IMG_2856.jpg

A busy looking (but not feeling) campground at Cape Lookout, right on the beach in Oregon. You can see my janky cell booster install in this photo. Made it so I could work for a while and still have a great day.
IMG_2617.jpg

In the jungle at Cape Perpetua.
IMG_2535.jpg

One of the better campground campsites at Mora Campground near Rialto Beach in ONP.
IMG_2732.jpg

That time we forgot to latch the roof shut. There's still bugs splattered on the vinyl from that...

IMG_2415.jpg

The first true night of camping in it on BLM land in southern Idaho.
IMG_2326.jpg

And the second night along the South Fork Payette.
IMG_2367.jpg

Last edited:
A couple more things...

I've read that condensation can be an issue. So far it has not been, even when we camped with the windows closed in the PNW. We still haven't been in significant precipitation or freezing cold though.

In addition to the battery/electrical upgrades I installed a Victron battery monitor. That thing is really awesome. You can always see on the display your battery level and whether you're running at a deficit or bringing in more power than you are using. The monitor and charge controller also connect to my phone via bluetooth which is very cool. The inverter we added is also nice. There is a household 110v outlet in the camper that usually only works when plugged into shore power, but when I turn on the inverter, it powers it up and I can power whatever I want (within reason) off of the batteries. Some pics and screenshots:

IMG_2315.png

IMG_2311.png

IMG_2297.jpg
IMG_2302.jpg
IMG_2303.jpg

FWD in a nutshell-they are great, but they have their quirks. After 10 years- we have no plans on replacing ours though.
Nick- would be interested in seeing your grey water solution if you proceed with it- I have an idea for mine but haven't acted on it yet.
Yes- that outside drain/faucet is very handy- ours broke after 8 years and was a PITA to replace, and unfortunately all that I could find available in the RV world was basically the same cheap plastic one. If it goes again, or maybe sooner, I'll look for better solutions in the marine or plumbing worlds.

A couple more things...

I've read that condensation can be an issue. So far it has not been, even when we camped with the windows closed in the PNW. We still haven't been in significant precipitation or freezing cold though.

In addition to the battery/electrical upgrades I installed a Victron battery monitor. That thing is really awesome. You can always see on the display your battery level and whether you're running at a deficit or bringing in more power than you are using. The monitor and charge controller also connect to my phone via bluetooth which is very cool. The inverter we added is also nice. There is a household 110v outlet in the camper that usually only works when plugged into shore power, but when I turn on the inverter, it powers it up and I can power whatever I want (within reason) off of the batteries. Some pics and screenshots:

View attachment 69800

View attachment 69799

View attachment 69801
View attachment 69796
View attachment 69795

thanks for all the info Nick.

I love the idea of the FWC. Especially now with a family, I'm looking at my options for something similar, not now, but within a few years.

So why do you keep it on the truck Nick? Is it a huge PITA to take it off? What kind of process are you looking at to take it off, and put it back on?

I love the idea of the FWC. Especially now with a family, I'm looking at my options for something similar, not now, but within a few years.

So why do you keep it on the truck Nick? Is it a huge PITA to take it off? What kind of process are you looking at to take it off, and put it back on?

I haven't taken it off yet, so I can't say for sure what a PITA it is. From what I've heard, it takes 15-30 minutes to put it on or take it off. You have to bolt on 4 jacks, undo the turnbuckles, then jack it off.. errr up, out of the truck. Once out, you drive forward and it's just up on jacks. I do plan to make a dolly for it so that I can take it off and wheel it into the garage. The reason I haven't taken it off yet is that I'm thinking there should be a threshold of when that should happen. If I'll camp within 2-3 weeks, it seems like I should definitely leave it on. No camping for a month or more, take it off. It could take some trial and error to dial that in though. After camping solo in it, I just want to run out every possible chance I have so taking it off seems less appealing. If you ever want to take it for a test drive/camp, let me know. Or better yet, let's go camping!

From what I've heard, it takes 15-30 minutes to put it on or take it off. You have to bolt on 4 jacks, undo the turnbuckles, then jack it off.. errr up, out of the truck. Once out, you drive forward and it's just up on jacks.
Before I ever bought a camp trailer, I had a camper that sat in the bed of my truck. The truck was a '79 Ford, and the camper was a '70s-something beast. And even that was pretty easy to get on and get off...err remove. Although, the jacks were permanently attached to that camper so it might have been a bit easier. I think you'll have no troubles, and it sounds like your dolly idea will work just fine due to the light weight of the FWC.

Put it back in today so I could sneak in a quick trip this weekend. 32 minutes from start to finish. Tried to hurry but there was still some first timer moments. Probably could get it down to 25 minutes. Regardless, it's not hard. I think my threshold for taking it off now is whether I'm camping again within a week. It is nice to have it out of there for daily driving.

Hey Nick, you might want to put some sawhorses or something under it for stability in the wind when you have it off. I've had a couple of pop-up campers (Jayco) and loved them. I stored them at a friend's farm and we put huge onion crates under them.

BTW, My Tiger was made by the same guy who started the Four-Wheel company - he started Tiger Provan, then sold it. Mine's really well made and I love it. I replaced my 3-way fridge with a DC Engel and really like it, uses very little power. Since it opens from the top, nothing falls out or gets discombobulated, but a friend used to put a partially-blown up beachball in his front-loader to keep things from rolling around.

And as for condensation, you will definitely get some if you run your propane heater and it's a bit damp outside. Leave a window open (which you should do anyway).

Anyway, it's a beautiful setup and will take you on many great adventures.

Hey Nick, you might want to put some sawhorses or something under it for stability in the wind when you have it off. I've had a couple of pop-up campers (Jayco) and loved them. I stored them at a friend's farm and we put huge onion crates under them.

BTW, My Tiger was made by the same guy who started the Four-Wheel company - he started Tiger Provan, then sold it. Mine's really well made and I love it. I replaced my 3-way fridge with a DC Engel and really like it, uses very little power. Since it opens from the top, nothing falls out or gets discombobulated, but a friend used to put a partially-blown up beachball in his front-loader to keep things from rolling around.

And as for condensation, you will definitely get some if you run your propane heater and it's a bit damp outside. Leave a window open (which you should do anyway).

Anyway, it's a beautiful setup and will take you on many great adventures.

I don’t leave it up high like in those photos. That’s just how high it has to go to get it out of the bed. This time I lowered it almost to the ground but in the near future I will be putting on a dolly in the garage so no worries on tipping.

So interesting thing about this. I camped high in the Uintas last night in a very, very soggy area. Temps plummeted after dark and got into the teens overnight. I ran the furnace without opening a vent or window and had almost no condensation inside. A little down around the glass windows but nothing on the ceiling. It was just me and one dog in there, but still kind of odd. We had a night in Oregon that had a little on the ceiling. Also, it's not necessary to leave a window open with the furnace on in my situation. It exhausts all the bad stuff outside and the camper has a CO detector on the inside just in case.

So interesting thing about this. I camped high in the Uintas last night in a very, very soggy area. Temps plummeted after dark and got into the teens overnight. I ran the furnace without opening a vent or window and had almost no condensation inside. A little down around the glass windows but nothing on the ceiling. It was just me and one dog in there, but still kind of odd. We had a night in Oregon that had a little on the ceiling. Also, it's not necessary to leave a window open with the furnace on in my situation. It exhausts all the bad stuff outside and the camper has a CO detector on the inside just in case.

I think it has a lot to do with the relative humidity.

Sorry I missed this earlier this year, I would've jumped in before. Life hasn't been in a spot to do any trips lately, so hadn't been on the forum. I just bought one of these early this year, coming to a lot of the same conclusions as you did Nick. I always thought a pop up VW camper sounded good, but they're hard to find, expensive and not off road worthy. A FWC solves some of that. Sportsmobiles look great, but 100K for a used 8 year old one??? I still think FWC's are way overpriced, considering you can get a new Subaru Outback for a similar price - that has an engine! Much better than a Sportsmobile though, and as you said the quality of the build is much better than some popups.

I also giggled like a little kid last winter when I came into the camper from backcountry skiing in a bit of a blizzard, turned the heater on, made a cup of tea, turned the lights on and sat at the dinette to read a little. I didn't even get the thermal pack and the heater didn't come on that much at night in low 30's. Amazing, cool, awesome. It really expands the seasons of adventuring comfortably! Not to mention as you said easing camp set up, especially in rain or windstorm or mosquito swarms. And be able to leave things in there and leave spontaneously on a trip. My wife and I plan to do long trips in a couple of years when we're empty nesters.

@Nick, I have a question about your solar if you happen to have time. I did the same, ordered it without solar with intention of doing myself, but haven't yet. I'd pretty much concluded I'd get the exact same setup as you did. I also got the front dinette, so wiring's like yours. The thing I'm not sure about is if I put the controller in the battery compartment like you did, how to get the wiring from there to the spot where you put the battery monitor (and the factory puts the controller). I see how the +/- come into the two 3 wire plugs there from the roof connection, rear camper connection, and the batteries. Did you just connect the roof wiring to the battery lead coming to those 3 wire plugs to get a connection to the battery compartment? Or move the wiring? I couldn't see how to pull the panel connections back to the battery compartment.

I got the stronger 40lb. struts to help lift the roof once I get the panel(s) on, which would help yours I'm sure. It's hard for me to get the roof down without solar on yet. I'm not sure they help much with the first few inches of getting it raised though, because of the angle they're at. I experimented with putting weight on the roof to see how much, because like you I wondered about getting more than 180 watts to make up for winter sun, wrong angle, cloudy days etc. I'm sure it'd be tough for my wife to do it with any more than the 180 watt. If I had something like 3 100 watt panels, I think it'd be a bit hard for me to raise it.

Great to know it handled popping up while driving. I can completely see myself doing that, and agree need to have a take down reminder list. Interesting on the flush stove. I didn't get the flush one, and haven't noticed it being much different in heat than like a Coleman. Those flush ones sure are cool for counter use when covered though.

@Nick, I have a question about your solar if you happen to have time. I did the same, ordered it without solar with intention of doing myself, but haven't yet. I'd pretty much concluded I'd get the exact same setup as you did. I also got the front dinette, so wiring's like yours. The thing I'm not sure about is if I put the controller in the battery compartment like you did, how to get the wiring from there to the spot where you put the battery monitor (and the factory puts the controller). I see how the +/- come into the two 3 wire plugs there from the roof connection, rear camper connection, and the batteries. Did you just connect the roof wiring to the battery lead coming to those 3 wire plugs to get a connection to the battery compartment? Or move the wiring? I couldn't see how to pull the panel connections back to the battery compartment.

For my setup, I only had to do one wire between the battery compartment and the battery monitor. It was super easy to run. I just popped it up alongside the propane line that comes up through the battery compartment and then ran it up and around behind the cabinetry faces. I can try to get a picture or two if that doesn't make sense.

I was a little confused at the solar wiring at first but once I went to the trouble to undo the bundle of wires behind the factory controller, it all made sense. Basically the two panels are wired to the factory location but then they combine into a single set of wires that goes to the battery compartment and can plug directly into the controller there So basically, you don't need to do anything at all with those if you put the controller down there with the batteries. I'm not sure how it would work with the factory controller, but that's how it worked for me.

I'm really interested in those 40 lb struts. Where did you find them? I saw them one place for $100 each but I don't think it's worth $400 at this point. Maybe if I get another panel though....

Thanks for the response Nick. I realized my camper's a little different than yours, I didn't get the water heater and therefore no propane going there. I wonder if that changes the wiring, unless I'm missing something. Here's what it looks like in battery compartment for mine, the two +/- wires coiled are labeled solar battery and go up to the factory plugs where you have the battery monitor. I don't see any other solar related wires I can identify in there. Up where the factory puts the controller, if I follow the bundle from two plugs, it disappears into some other bundles with a lot of other wires. Not sure you can see it in the second picture, but it's the black and red bundle that goes to the top of the picture. Don't think I can separate it out that I can see.

Another thing that changed is they only offered PWM charge controllers when I ordered mine, maybe wiring changed when MPPT was offered. Guess I can always just put the controller in that cabinet where they have wires coming in. I was thinking of putting the battery monitor in above the lower switch panel and propane/CO detector.

As for the 40 lb struts, here's where it's a bummer I didn't see this in the beginning. I ordered them with the camper, they don't charge extra (amazingly). They just put those in instead of the 20 lb ones. They put them on automatically when you get solar through them. It's one of the things they don't put on the option list, like the king bed. Not sure why. Maybe the dealer you got it from could switch them out??
IMG_20181022_202326861.jpgIMG_20181022_203258239.jpg

Riggs, your wiring is exactly like mine. That little bundle curled up on the back wall of your battery compartment is identical to what mine looked like. That just gets spliced into the two solar panels up behind the cabinetry. You should be able to just install your controller right there by the battery and be good. You could pretty easily test that theory by hooking up a tone and probe kit, or just install a solar panel and test your voltage on those two wires curled up by the battery.

If you want to mount the battery monitor up where the usual controller goes, all you need to do is run the little 'phone' cable that comes with the monitor from batteries to that spot. Even if you have to drill a little hole, it's easy. No water heater should have no effect.

That's a real bummer about the 40lb struts from the factory. I would have been all over that. I'm taking my camper into the dealer this week to get an Eezi Awn K9 table installed under the cabover and I'll have to ask them about that.

Oh ok, I think I get it now. So those two plugs with three positive and three negative wire coming into each one, where the factory puts controller, already connects the three in each plug? I didn't think of that. That'd make sense, then it's all connected without doing anything. I thought they were separate in the plugs. Thank you!

I'll be interested to hear how your solar does with low sun in the winter. Looks like yours panel is maybe the Grape Solar one? I haven't decided if I'll do an inverter, and only have the medium, 85L fridge. So I'd probably use less power. Might use the heater more here in Montana though, haha.

Oh ok, I think I get it now. So those two plugs with three positive and three negative wire coming into each one, where the factory puts controller, already connects the three in each plug? I didn't think of that. That'd make sense, then it's all connected without doing anything. I thought they were separate in the plugs. Thank you!

I'll be interested to hear how your solar does with low sun in the winter. Looks like yours panel is maybe the Grape Solar one? I haven't decided if I'll do an inverter, and only have the medium, 85L fridge. So I'd probably use less power. Might use the heater more here in Montana though, haha.

Yep, you got it. Way easier than it looks. Yeah, it is the Grape Solar 180. I almost got another one the other day but the special buy price at Home Depot went away so now I think I'll see how it does through the winter. The inverter seemed like a daunting task but my friend @CJonesey had an extra one laying around and came and schooled me in how to install it so it was a no brainer. It has been invaluable for charging my laptop and powering my cell booster when I'm working out of the camper. Probably not as necessary just for camping. Still a really nice upgrade that I would definitely do now that I've used it.