Bigfoot sightings in the Uintas Tales of the "unusual" in the woods

Notice where there monsters are entombed!!!! :eek:

Navajo – Monster Slayer

According to Navajo folklore, monsters came into being in the Third World. It happened during a time when men and women lived apart and women used animal horns, long stones and bird feathers for sex. These women became pregnant when people moved into the Fourth World .
monster-slayer-205x300.jpg

When a baby was born with no head, the people decided to leave it to die. Instead, it grew into the Horned Monster. Another woman gave birth to to the Monster Eagle and another birthed the Monster Who Kicks People Down the Cliff.
Another monster was born because a woman used a skinned cactus for sex gave birth to twins. They had no heads but two holes on top that resembled eyes. They were abandoned, but grew to become the Monsters That Kill with Their Eyes.
The monsters hid along paths and roads, killing and eating unsuspecting travelers.
According to Navajo folklore, the monsters had eventually killed most people and First Man sought out the Holy People for help. White Shell Woman produced two twins who could perform miracles and destroy monsters.
Together, the twins set out to rid the land of the animal, rock and human monsters. The twins became known as Slayer of Alien Gods and Born from Water. The only God that took human form was said to be the size of a mountain. All monsters killed without mercy and nearly killed the entire population.
It is believed the bodies of the monsters slain by the twins turned to stone and make up the large formations now known as Monument Valley in Arizona. A mask depicting the monster slayer of Navajo folklore is still used in ceremonies today as a way to honor this Navajo legend

That south shore of Lake Powell will really make your skin crawl, or walk as the case may be.

I had been thinking about camping on the big sand dune in the middle of Navajo Canyon, but now I'm thinking the north end of Wahweap, Warm Creek or Gunsight might be better this time of year. ;)

:mad:

That south shore of Lake Powell will really make your skin crawl, or walk as the case may be.

That's because Navajo Mtn, Rainbow Bridge and Dark Canyon areas are on that side..... all pretty sacred areas.

I noticed when I was solo I went to bed as soon as it was dark.

Pretty normal, by my estimation. I do my best reading when I'm backpacking solo. So many undisturbed hours with just the book and a headlamp.

I've been lurking this thread and will just chime in to say my brain is far too rational to accept the existence of beings that take no prey, leave no scat, are absent from the fossil record and evade technologies such as infrared and trail cameras.

I'm with @ashergrey on this one, if we can find evidence of midget horses 20,000 years ago, but zero evidence of a large man-like mammal, sorry it doesn't exist. I do love me a new bigfoot hoax though. I've mentioned this before, but a good hoax is a beautiful piece of art.

Dang science-based thinkers. Easy answers: Bigfoot is transparent most of the time (floating eyes!) and they eat their dead! See! It's easy if you try! :)

Ha ..... still say aliens. They float above the ground (no footprints). Eat rarely (no poop). Sleep in ship (invisisble and so nothing built on ground). They are studing us (cause we are strange, so they don't want to be seen except by accident). Mind control (so they make us see things if we do see them).

I haven't had any experiences, but my dad has. He told me a story recently from when he was backpacking in the Uintas back in what probably would have been the mid to late 70's. Him and his 3 brothers were hiking up to Ryder Lake and decided to stop about 3/4 of the way and set up camp for the night. He said they were camped several hundred yards from the trail. During the middle of the night they all woke up and heard strange screaming/howling sounds from down the canyon. He said it was unlike anything he had ever heard before. The sounds continued to get louder, as if they were coming up the trail. They continued, and eventually must have passed by their camp on the trail, at which point they started to get softer as they continued on up the trail. In the morning they went and looked for any tracks but couldn't find any. He still has no idea what it might have been.

Aparently the 70s were extremely active for sightings etc... the thread here has had me going to a lot of bigfoot sights over the last few days.... Theres a staggering amount of information out there, and a number of reputable groups. some of there contentions are
Bigfoot operates in family groups
they mark their territory with large Xs and TeePee like structures, and snap off young tree tops... (structures often made out of whole tree trunks even several men would be hard pressed to lift) ~there are some really interesting photos of this out there...
They are predominantly nocternal
they post sentries
they communicate via voice, knocking wood together rock clacking and throwing 400 lb tree trunks at intruders....
They are said to be able to (in 17 seconds) cover distance a normal man can cover in 21 seconds,
They are Omnivorous
they have border disputes with other bigfoot....
they are masters of camouflage....
apparently the art of bigfoot hunting has come a long way!

Now that I think about it I knew a bunch of people who said they saw things in the late 60s early 70s ........ I wonder ........