Bigfoot sightings in the Uintas Tales of the "unusual" in the woods

^This! I don't camp solo much in the winter and pretty much never IN the Navajo Nation. I'm doing both this weekend. So... nanananannananananannananananaaaaaaaa... I can't hear you!
Yep, fingers in ears! Forget you ever read this thread! Stop reading it now! ;) Seriously, I can't read about things like this before I head out somewhere remote on my own. Nopey-nope.

Reactions: Bob
and yet no mentions of the constant lurching of ROBOTS on this website!
ooooooooooo

^This! I don't camp solo much in the winter and pretty much never IN the Navajo Nation. I'm doing both this weekend. So... nanananannananananannananananaaaaaaaa... I can't hear you!
You're camping alone in the Navajo Nation, while there's a comet visible, after reading about skinwalkers?! Hope you're planning lots of night photography because there won't be much sleep! :eek:

I haven't had any experiences, but my dad has. He told me a story recently from when he was backpacking in the Uintas back in what probably would have been the mid to late 70's. Him and his 3 brothers were hiking up to Ryder Lake and decided to stop about 3/4 of the way and set up camp for the night. He said they were camped several hundred yards from the trail. During the middle of the night they all woke up and heard strange screaming/howling sounds from down the canyon. He said it was unlike anything he had ever heard before. The sounds continued to get louder, as if they were coming up the trail. They continued, and eventually must have passed by their camp on the trail, at which point they started to get softer as they continued on up the trail. In the morning they went and looked for any tracks but couldn't find any. He still has no idea what it might have been.

...We would have been east of Capitol Reef, east off Notom Road. Northwest of Steele Butte (which btw has a kiva somewhere that I never made it to, sadly enough). The area is more known for its ancient Fremont Indian ruins, but it's been proven long-ago Navajo scouts were occasionally in the area as well over the centuries. It's not really somewhere anyone would necessarily choose to hike, so I doubt anyone on this board is likely to camp in the same haunted(?) place. :) Part of an old wilderness program course area, so I don't want to give more details publicly. But if you're really interested you can pm me and I can give some vaguely more detailed info. I'd really have to go back there to remember the exact spot, though. And I'm not going back there. Heh...
Evidence of Navajo scouts visiting the area around Capitol Reef is interesting. One of my wife's ancestors is Ephraim Pectol who discovered what are now known as the "Pectol Shields" between Torrey and the Reef. There is quite a story to those shields with lots of debate about their true origins. Some researchers and experts attributed them to the Fremont while others have used inconclusive evidence from debatable carbon dating to suggest they are not old enough to be Fremont. Anyways, long story short, the most controversial part of the story, I think, is that the Navajo Nation came out and laid claim to them and the government sided with them, despite, according to my knowledge, having the least amount of evidence of all the tribes the shields were attributed to support their claim. As far as I know, the Navajo have opted to not make them available for display any more and so for the time being, all we have left is pictures. But that's a discussion for another place and time. I've been shown the site of their discovery though. It was pretty cool, but certainly not a place you'd expect to find any significant relics like that when compared to the surrounding areas.

Sorry for the tangent...now back to speculating Bigfoot and other mythical creatures in the wild...:frantic:

Good luck Nick. I suggest taking a copy of "The Haunted Mesa", and reading it before bed on the first night.

You mean this book? Hmmm...might have to add that to my own list. After I've done all the exploring out there I could want to do that is. At first I thought the title suggested something written in a more non-fictional format, but fortunately, it's just a novel...right!?

You mean this book? Hmmm...might have to add that to my own list. After I've done all the exploring out there I could want to do that is. At first I thought the title suggested something written in a more non-fictional format, but fortunately, it's just a novel...right!?

That's the one. Yep just a novel. I read it when I was in Zion this past fall, pretty fun to read out in the desert. It's pretty good, though he is very repetitive, the book could be half the length and tell the same story. I imagine reading it in the backcountry by yourself could be pretty intense.

Yep, fingers in ears! Forget you ever read this thread! Stop reading it now! ;) Seriously, I can't read about things like this before I head out somewhere remote on my own. Nopey-nope.
Sort of like the required watching of Clint Walker and the Night of the Grizzly before heading into Glacier or Yellowstone------

Should we all chip in to buy @Nick the audio version to listen to on the drive and in camp?

Very funny! And maybe I'll fire up the Netflix and binge watch every episode of American Horror Story while I'm packing! I'm bringing Sage and Nikita, so unless they start growling at nothing in the middle of the night, I should be able to forget most of what I've read here. I'm just going to watch that flight of the conchords clips a couple dozen more times. Happy thoughts... :)

Seriously though, I still get spooked being out in the wilderness alone. This last year was my first time backpacking solo and it wasn't too bad, but I specifically chose spots that I knew other people would be in. I'm not sure I could do somewhere truly remote without anyone else around. Dogs would probably help.

Dogs would probably help.

I've solo backpacked with and without them, and to be honest, sometimes they make it worse. On trips when it was just me and Nikita, she would sit there and guard me, going on alert at every little thing. One night, up at Kermsuh Lake in the Uintas, I was sitting out on the shore under a new moon. I was shooting star trails listening to my camera click every 30 seconds. I kept thinking what a bad idea it was to sit in the darkness without making a noise and with no light at all. I turned on my red lamp and looked down at Nikita by my side, comforted by the fact that she wasn't like growling or anything, until I noticed she had a mohawk all up and down her spine staring intently into the woods behind me.

Meanwhile, when I soloed in La Verkin Creek, I actually had wildlife approach me in camp twice and I never felt uneasy about being alone. Similar up in the Sawtooths solo at Imogene Lake. Sure, I went to bed early, but I felt fine.

Fortunately for this weekend, having a second dog usually means Nikita will just relax and sack out on the boat. Sage gets upset if there is something she perceives as an imminent threat, but it takes a lot to get her worried about something.

I still think aliens ............................

According to a site "Upheaval Dome Crater in Canyonlands National Park is a highly magnetic vortex and is the sister vortex to Sedona. The two are strongly connected, automatically creating a bonded energetic network". - See more at: http://harmoniousearth.org/moab-utah-usa-community/#sthash.5MtLms62.dpuf

AND the Dark Canyon area is known as skinwalker haven. Man a lot of stuff on the internet.......must be true.

I always try to keep an open mind, but some of this stuff that people believe is insane. I guess deep down I want bigfoot to actually exist, but I have pretty serious doubts that he does.

I've solo backpacked with and without them, and to be honest, sometimes they make it worse. On trips when it was just me and Nikita, she would sit there and guard me, going on alert at every little thing. One night, up at Kermsuh Lake in the Uintas, I was sitting out on the shore under a new moon. I was shooting star trails listening to my camera click every 30 seconds. I kept thinking what a bad idea it was to sit in the darkness without making a noise and with no light at all. I turned on my red lamp and looked down at Nikita by my side, comforted by the fact that she wasn't like growling or anything, until I noticed she had a mohawk all up and down her spine staring intently into the woods behind me.

Meanwhile, when I soloed in La Verkin Creek, I actually had wildlife approach me in camp twice and I never felt uneasy about being alone. Similar up in the Sawtooths solo at Imogene Lake. Sure, I went to bed early, but I felt fine.

Fortunately for this weekend, having a second dog usually means Nikita will just relax and sack out on the boat. Sage gets upset if there is something she perceives as an imminent threat, but it takes a lot to get her worried about something.

I noticed when I was solo I went to bed as soon as it was dark. Maybe I will have to rethink the dog thing.