Beartooth Wilderness - Flat Rock Lake Lollipop Loop - July 26, 2021

scatman

Fantastic and Inspirational.

Wildflowers would have been worth it alone. No pictures of Mountain Goats? Are you sure it was not @Bob nibbling on your pack strap?

Glad you guys had such a great experience. Hope those are not your teeth marks I see on those mushrooms from the last day!

Bob has a different grazing sound than mountain goats do, That is how I know it was the goats. :D

scatman

Excellent TR @scatman . Really like the lake hopping. How did your Merrell’s hold up on this trip?

The Merrells held up! I was nervous heading in, knowing that there would be quite a bit of rock hiking along our route. I'll probably give the current pair one more go on my trip to Yellowstone on Sunday, then I'll break out the new pair for September's trips.

scatman

Wow…didn’t take ya fer that romantic Scat! Ya had me tearin up a bit with th pic where ya laid down n kissed n hugged th trail! Glad y’all weren’t eaten by th mountain goats! Th pics were spectacular…but it seemed y’all were either goin straight uphill or descending thru Boulder fields! Ouch.
Did y’all fry up any of those trout for supper ?
Thanks for takin me along on y’all’s trip vicariously!

Up and down is the perfect description for our route.

scatman

Nice trip! Stream crossing in a single flip-flop? Pretty light stream crossing shoes for sure!
Surprised about no bear sign or sightings. Only been further S along Clark's Fk and Sunlight Basin. Had a lot of warnings about recent kills by griz .

Yeah, I was pretty sure that I'd see some sign at some point, but it never happened.

travel2walk

Awesome trip. There looked like a little bit of haze on couple of the days, but much better on others. How tolerable was it? Been hearing pretty bad things and the hills out here on the east coast have been pretty hazy so I couldn't imagine how bad it is out there.

Bob

Trailmaster
Awesome trip. There looked like a little bit of haze on couple of the days, but much better on others. How tolerable was it? Been hearing pretty bad things and the hills out here on the east coast have been pretty hazy so I couldn't imagine how bad it is out there.
Bad but I've seen worse.... Short views were still good. And depended what direction your pics were to the sun

scatman

There had to be a couple of beer sightings on this journey…

The only beer sighting was on my way out, where I stopped at the Miner's Saloon and got exactly what I'd had for my pre-trip meal: A bacon bison burger with fries and a Scotch Ale, followed up by a Lewis & Clark Miner's Gold. I did have to wait thirty minutes for the saloon to open though. I just assumed all saloons in Montana would be open 24/7. :D

Sorry, kind of blurry picture.
106.jpg

OldBill

Bob must have some tough feet to cross barefoot. Must be the mountain goat in him. :p What did you use? They don't look like standard Crocs. I keep looking for a lighter alternative that'll protect my "less than mountain goat tough" feet.

The only beer sighting was on my way out, where I stopped at the Miner's Saloon and got exactly what I'd had for my pre-trip meal: A bacon bison burger with fries and a Scotch Ale, followed up by a Lewis & Clark Miner's Gold. I did have to wait thirty minutes for the saloon to open though. I just assumed all saloons in Montana would be open 24/7. :D

Sorry, kind of blurry picture.
View attachment 100612
I will pass on th bison burger, but th beer is fine as I’ve never had a beer mess with me in th backcountry ! We gotta eat there!