Beartooth Wilderness - Flat Rock Lake Lollipop Loop - July 26, 2021

Fantastic and Inspirational.

Wildflowers would have been worth it alone. No pictures of Mountain Goats? Are you sure it was not @Bob nibbling on your pack strap?

Glad you guys had such a great experience. Hope those are not your teeth marks I see on those mushrooms from the last day!

Bob has a different grazing sound than mountain goats do, That is how I know it was the goats. :D

Excellent TR @scatman . Really like the lake hopping. How did your Merrell’s hold up on this trip?

The Merrells held up! I was nervous heading in, knowing that there would be quite a bit of rock hiking along our route. I'll probably give the current pair one more go on my trip to Yellowstone on Sunday, then I'll break out the new pair for September's trips.

Wow…didn’t take ya fer that romantic Scat! Ya had me tearin up a bit with th pic where ya laid down n kissed n hugged th trail! Glad y’all weren’t eaten by th mountain goats! Th pics were spectacular…but it seemed y’all were either goin straight uphill or descending thru Boulder fields! Ouch.
Did y’all fry up any of those trout for supper ?
Thanks for takin me along on y’all’s trip vicariously!

Up and down is the perfect description for our route.

Nice trip! Stream crossing in a single flip-flop? Pretty light stream crossing shoes for sure!
Surprised about no bear sign or sightings. Only been further S along Clark's Fk and Sunlight Basin. Had a lot of warnings about recent kills by griz .

Yeah, I was pretty sure that I'd see some sign at some point, but it never happened.

Awesome trip. There looked like a little bit of haze on couple of the days, but much better on others. How tolerable was it? Been hearing pretty bad things and the hills out here on the east coast have been pretty hazy so I couldn't imagine how bad it is out there.

Awesome trip. There looked like a little bit of haze on couple of the days, but much better on others. How tolerable was it? Been hearing pretty bad things and the hills out here on the east coast have been pretty hazy so I couldn't imagine how bad it is out there.
Bad but I've seen worse.... Short views were still good. And depended what direction your pics were to the sun

There had to be a couple of beer sightings on this journey…

The only beer sighting was on my way out, where I stopped at the Miner's Saloon and got exactly what I'd had for my pre-trip meal: A bacon bison burger with fries and a Scotch Ale, followed up by a Lewis & Clark Miner's Gold. I did have to wait thirty minutes for the saloon to open though. I just assumed all saloons in Montana would be open 24/7. :D

Sorry, kind of blurry picture.
106.jpg

Bob must have some tough feet to cross barefoot. Must be the mountain goat in him. :p What did you use? They don't look like standard Crocs. I keep looking for a lighter alternative that'll protect my "less than mountain goat tough" feet.

The only beer sighting was on my way out, where I stopped at the Miner's Saloon and got exactly what I'd had for my pre-trip meal: A bacon bison burger with fries and a Scotch Ale, followed up by a Lewis & Clark Miner's Gold. I did have to wait thirty minutes for the saloon to open though. I just assumed all saloons in Montana would be open 24/7. :D

Sorry, kind of blurry picture.
View attachment 100612
I will pass on th bison burger, but th beer is fine as I’ve never had a beer mess with me in th backcountry ! We gotta eat there!

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Bryan Harwood Absaroka- Beartooth Wilderness: 6 Trips July-Sep. 2015 Backpacking 12
B Beartooth Lakes Info Trip Planning 1
John Goering The ancient past. 1980 Beartooth trip Backpacking 11
Ymyr Suggestions in a Yellowstone and a Beartooth trip Trip Planning 29
Bob Beartooth changes from Spring flooding General Discussion 2
futurafree Beartooth Lakes and Passes Trip Planning 2
Dustynails0 Beartooth lake to East rosebud traverse Trip Planning 6
McKee80 beartooth beginner trip Trip Planning 5
westy Beartooth plateau Backpacking 1
W Absaroka Beartooth near Yellowstone Trip Planning 3
John Goering Return to Goose Lake/Grasshopper Glacier area of the Beartooth Mountains Hiking & Camping 7
LarryBoy Off the Beaten Path - Five Days in the Beartooth Range Backpacking 11
Joey 7 Day Yellowstone, Slough Creek, Hellroaring, Absaroka Beartooth Loop Backpacking 21
westy Beartooth Mountains Backpacking 5
b.stark A Very Late Beartooth Report Backpacking 14
John Goering Beartooth Mountains, Lake Plateau Backpacking 11
John Goering Beartooth's Hellroaring Plateau Backpacking 10
John Goering Beartooth's Goose Lake area Hiking & Camping 2
John Goering Beartooth loop Backpacking 27
Bob Teton Wilderness July 2024 Trip Planning 38
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Nine / Day Nine + Ten! Backpacking 20
Mikjik86 Backpacking Indian Peaks Wilderness - King Lake - August, 2023 Backpacking 0
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Eight / Day Eight Backpacking 14
shredhiker Ansel Adams Wilderness October 2023 Backpacking 12
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Seven / Day Seven Backpacking 13
randakag Rawah Wilderness "Lollipop" Loop - September 2023 Backpacking 7
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Six / Day Six Backpacking 28
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Five / Day Five Backpacking 16
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Four / Day Four Backpacking 15
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 Part Three / Day Three Backpacking 10
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 -- Part Two / Day Two Backpacking 6
TractorDoc Yellowstone's Thorofare and the Teton Wilderness 08/09/2023 - 08/18/2023 --Part One / Day One Backpacking 10
TheMountainRabbit Bob Marshall Wilderness - September 2023 Backpacking 8
marquiri Uncompahgre Wilderness Trip Planning 13
TheMountainRabbit Dana Meadows to Twin Lakes via the High Route (Yosemite/Hoover Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 8
TheMountainRabbit Invite Bob Marshall Wilderness, September 2023 Meet Up (Members Only) 0
TheMountainRabbit Silas Canyon (Popo Agie Wilderness) - August 2023 Backpacking 3
C What's a good insurance company for Wilderness Trip Outfitters Trip Planning 1
RockyMntCol Cloud Peak Wilderness Loop Trip Planning 1
TheMountainRabbit Southern Absaroka & Thorofare Mountain (Teton/Washakie Wilderness) - July 2023 Backpacking 23
J Pacific Creek or North Buffalo Fork? Teton Wilderness, Thorofare ,etc. Trip Planning 10
Bob Teton Wilderness Trip Planning 2
shredhiker Eagles Nest Wilderness June 30 2023 Backpacking 7
W Paper map for Teton Wilderness (Younts Peak) Gear 4
forest dweller The story of a frustrated middle aged suburban wilderness lover! General Discussion 35
wabenho Big Pine Lakes – John Muir Wilderness Backpacking 6
canadug Jarbidge Wilderness General Discussion 12
C Teton Wilderness Early July Trip Planning 16
travel2walk Gros Ventre Wilderness: Granite Creek, West Fork Crystal Creek, Crystal Creek, & Swift Creek - June 2021 Backpacking 8
F 12 days in Wyoming's Teton Wilderness, part 9 of 9, 7-29 & 30, /2022 Backpacking 5