Bears Ears National Monument

Well I was there in force for both Saturday and today. I wouldn't really know how to find you since your moniker is not descriptive of your appearance and you are shy about sharing your photo :) You have seen enough of me to find me, I suppose. I would have liked to meet you. I would like to meet you so give a shout next time you are in town and we will make it happen.

Don't let BLOTUS get you down too much. Stay involved and work hard and we and the land will get through it. He is on a path of self immolation and whatever he does can be undone. I feel anxious too often as well but I am not leaving just because of this bloke.
BLOTUS (ha, love that) will self-destruct, but after how much damage? But you're right about fighting. I do have a photo on this site somewhere or other...but I'm easy to find, just look for the BCP Scatman Hat. :)

BLOTUS (ha, love that) will self-destruct, but after how much damage? But you're right about fighting. I do have a photo on this site somewhere or other...but I'm easy to find, just look for the BCP Scatman Hat. :)
Sorry, I got a little carried away. I don't like to get too political-like here in order not to offend people. But I was just in the middle of the fight earlier today so my typing fingers got carried away.

Last edited:
I agree with not leaving, even though every day seems to bring more disgust for our "leaders" and, sadly, many of the people who are ignorantly allowing themselves to be led. That kind of idiocy is rampant in these beautiful areas we love to explore, and it's enough to make you want to bang your head on the wall in massive frustration. We get a lot of it down here in the heart of red rock country. The sheer cognitive dissonance rampant in many people about the reality of these places (it's by far mostly tourism, not cows and mining, that puts food on your table, my dear neighbors, for just one example) is...disturbing, to say the least. I can only imagine the excitement of some at the thought of the Staircase being "given back" to them. Not that most of them ever bothered to visit it since it became a monument anyway.

But sorely tempting as it is sometimes, I'm not leaving. Me and my libtard, Chaco-wearing, tree-hugging, redrock land-preserving self. I'm staying right here in the midst of it all. I'll fight every step of the way, however I can. Will probably channel some Katie Lee-type language now and then to get my point across. This is my home, too.

Also, about BLOTUS's (I love that) remark about how "nice" it will be to see cattle grazing the open range again...give me a danged break. Cattle have grazed over 90%, maybe closer to 95%, of GSENM ever since it was created. They've never left. But telling the base what they want to hear goes a long way in politics.

Thanks for the lawsuit link, @Reef&Ruins. Good stuff.

My extended family is primarily ranchers and people in the oil industry. I grew up around rednecks who abused everything while making fun of greeners and yet claiming to be stewards of the land. But some of my family were stewards, as my aunt and uncle built a pond on the ranch for the sandhills that migrated through, though they refused to tell the Department of Wildlife about it. You have to be careful to not paint people black or white, as they're too complex of a critter. I've seen destruction from rednecks and destruction from greeners. Right now I'm wondering what Jim Stiles thinks of all this, as he was against monument designation and yet not a fan of our current president.

I'm a redneck greener (went to undergrad in Logan and grad school in Boulder) and don't feel like I belong in either camp. All I really care about is the land and its flora and fauna, which theoretically includes people if they don't act like asses. Unfortunately, I've seen too many who have no regard for anything. Like the native writer Sherman Alexi says, Trump is turning our whole country into a reservation.Yukon Territory is starting to sound nice. Fewer than 50,000 people in the whole province.

/rant
/politics

Carry on.

Last edited:
As Cactus Ed reminded us every so often, the elephant in the room is overpopulation. More people need more resources, and more people in the backcountry leave a bigger footprint, no matter what camp they're in. But people seldom mention that as the real underlying problem.

Wonder what the woman writing the guidebook thinks about all this. (Rhetorical question.)

As Cactus Ed reminded us every so often, the elephant in the room is overpopulation. More people need more resources, and more people in the backcountry leave a bigger footprint, no matter what camp they're in. But people seldom mention that as the real underlying problem.

That's the main source of most of our problems in this world...

I am going to bet that nothing happens with Gold Butte because Trump doesn't have a fine political geezer (ain't I being nice...%#^@) like Hatch in his ear on that one.
I saw a house for rent in Bunkerville and thought about it so I could explore the monument at my leisure, but decided not to.

Last edited:

I would have liked this post 10,000 times if I could have. Now back to pondering how you got a BCP Scatman hat and I didn't. Hmmmmm. :scatman:

All this political nonsense made me re-watch this great short documentary.

"This is one of the most beautiful places in the world. It's just too beautiful of a place to turn into this industrial sacrifice area."