Bears Ears National Monument

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nick, Dec 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nick

Nick Post 'em if you got 'em!

2. Wyatt Carson

Wyatt Carson Desert Vagabond

Wow that is outstanding! We have made many, many trips within those boundaries, really some of our favorite hiking, camping, exploring, canyoneering places on earth. It is amazingly diverse.

3. Dan_85

Dan_85 Member

Great news! Any chance he can squeeze in Greater Grand Canyon Heritage NM before he goes too?! ;-)

4. Nick

5. Nick

And Gold Butte National Monument too! That should go over well with the Bundys.

John Goering, Artemus, Yvonne and 2 others like this.
  6. Dan_85

Dan_85 Member

7. andyjaggy

andyjaggy Member

Nice. Enjoy it because we probably won't see any more land protected for at least another 4-8 years.

Michael, Ben and Jeffrey Chandler like this.
  8. uintafly

uintafly Member

Sweet!!!! :twothumbs::dance:

9. Kmatjhwy

Kmatjhwy Wilderness Wanderer

This is Great!!! Yeaaaa! Now have been in this area before and probably will again hopefully in the future. Personally do think all of the Southern Utah Canyon Country could be one massive nice and wild National Park with adjoining down to Grand Canyon to the south. Several more pieces protected. Yeaaaaa!!!

10. Jammer

Jammer ❤2Hike

Some strange boundaries. I think I understand some of the exclusions for the specific resources, but... no lower Dark Canyon seems very odd. EDIT -- I see... it's already part of GCNRA.

Artemus likes this.
  11. Nick

Jammer likes this.
  12. BryanG

BryanG Member

This is a great use of presidential decree! Does anyone want to speculate on how this might affect public access? In terms of regulations regarding dispersed camping and hiking. I read the "fact sheet" published by the Department of the Interior but it was very vague regarding how/if regulations will change.

13. LarryBoy

LarryBoy Hiker Trash

I think a lot of it has to be shaken out by the Bears Ears Commission (i.e. gathering of firewood by Indian tribes, etc). The biggee is no new roads.

With regards to camping and hiking, no real way to know... GSENM allows it with minimal red tape (self-service permits); I assume something similar would go into effect for BENM

lclewis49 and Nick like this.
  14. Bob

Bob Trailmaster

Get ready to see a lot more people and what they leave behind.............

15. Kishenehn

Kishenehn Member

Definitely very cool news ... and it's nice to see that there are at least a few Utahns who are happy about this! :)

I imagine the management changes will be pretty minimal overall. The big thing (as with GSEM) is that this takes mining and energy development off the table in the area.

The only thing I worry about is whether these monument designations will encourage the upcoming administration to attempt to repeal the Antiquities Act entirely, which would be a pretty unfortunate by-product ...

Jeffrey Chandler likes this.
  16. Dave

Dave Broadcaster, formerly "ashergrey"

If you read the text of the declaration, it says USFS and BLM will co-manage. So largely expect business as usual as far as management within the monument boundaries. What this really does is block oil and gas extraction along with new grazing. As noted above, some concerns in regards to access still have to be ironed out. The DOI has to try and get rid of all the SITLA land within the boundaries (which could actually mean areas of current BLM land outside the monument being handed over to the state of Utah).

BryanG, Ben and Nick like this.
  17. Yvonne

Yvonne I lava it!!!

my home playground
    Hopefully this will protect the rock art out there and limits all the nasty ATV riders going off trail

18. powderglut

powderglut In search of Fresh

So glad to hear this! After our week visit in Bluff (this fall) and surrounding parts, I realized this massive area needs to stay protected. This designation for a NM is the right move. Hopefully BLM and administration has a strong plan.

19. Bob

Bob Trailmaster

Hehe ......................USFS and BLM don't get enough money now, if they did there wouldnt need to be a monument.

Anybody see the TV news release? For a minute I thought Obumma was changing Arches NP into part of the Monument....... stupid

Chuck the Mauler likes this.
  20. pstm13

pstm13 Auribus Teneo Lupum

Yup, that is why I am not in favor of a federal designation in the Island Park area. We would put a new park or monument on the map and another million people would stop and need paved walking trails everywhere.

I am a big fan of the National Park system overall though.

Chuck the Mauler likes this.