Bears Ears National Monument

Wow that is outstanding! We have made many, many trips within those boundaries, really some of our favorite hiking, camping, exploring, canyoneering places on earth. It is amazingly diverse.

Great news! Any chance he can squeeze in Greater Grand Canyon Heritage NM before he goes too?! ;-)

This is Great!!! Yeaaaa! Now have been in this area before and probably will again hopefully in the future. Personally do think all of the Southern Utah Canyon Country could be one massive nice and wild National Park with adjoining down to Grand Canyon to the south. Several more pieces protected. Yeaaaaa!!!

Some strange boundaries. I think I understand some of the exclusions for the specific resources, but... no lower Dark Canyon seems very odd. EDIT -- I see... it's already part of GCNRA.

This is a great use of presidential decree! Does anyone want to speculate on how this might affect public access? In terms of regulations regarding dispersed camping and hiking. I read the "fact sheet" published by the Department of the Interior but it was very vague regarding how/if regulations will change.

This is a great use of presidential decree! Does anyone want to speculate on how this might affect public access? In terms of regulations regarding dispersed camping and hiking. I read the "fact sheet" published by the Department of the Interior but it was very vague regarding how/if regulations will change.
I think a lot of it has to be shaken out by the Bears Ears Commission (i.e. gathering of firewood by Indian tribes, etc). The biggee is no new roads.

With regards to camping and hiking, no real way to know... GSENM allows it with minimal red tape (self-service permits); I assume something similar would go into effect for BENM

Get ready to see a lot more people and what they leave behind.............

Definitely very cool news ... and it's nice to see that there are at least a few Utahns who are happy about this! :)

I imagine the management changes will be pretty minimal overall. The big thing (as with GSEM) is that this takes mining and energy development off the table in the area.

The only thing I worry about is whether these monument designations will encourage the upcoming administration to attempt to repeal the Antiquities Act entirely, which would be a pretty unfortunate by-product ...

If you read the text of the declaration, it says USFS and BLM will co-manage. So largely expect business as usual as far as management within the monument boundaries. What this really does is block oil and gas extraction along with new grazing. As noted above, some concerns in regards to access still have to be ironed out. The DOI has to try and get rid of all the SITLA land within the boundaries (which could actually mean areas of current BLM land outside the monument being handed over to the state of Utah).

So glad to hear this! After our week visit in Bluff (this fall) and surrounding parts, I realized this massive area needs to stay protected. This designation for a NM is the right move. Hopefully BLM and administration has a strong plan.

Hehe ......................USFS and BLM don't get enough money now, if they did there wouldnt need to be a monument.

Anybody see the TV news release? For a minute I thought Obumma was changing Arches NP into part of the Monument....... stupid

Get ready to see a lot more people and what they leave behind.............
Yup, that is why I am not in favor of a federal designation in the Island Park area. We would put a new park or monument on the map and another million people would stop and need paved walking trails everywhere.

I am a big fan of the National Park system overall though.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
J Bears Ears National Monument, Utah! Dayhikes April 18-21, 2017 Hiking & Camping 0
fossana Bears Ears NM draft Resource Management Plan open for public comment until 6/11/2024 General Discussion 5
Devin Ashby Best Cedar Mesa/Bears Ears Guide Books? Trip Planning 8
Janice Winds - Bears Ears Trail? Trip Planning 6
J Short time in Greater Bears Ears. Couple Dayhikes April 5 and 6, 2021 Hiking & Camping 5
gnwatts BLM Oil and Gas lease auction, Arches, Canyonlands, Bears Ears etc. General Discussion 5
Stephanie B Bears Ears is in Bloom! Hiking & Camping 4
fossana Bullet Canyon/Sheiks Canyon loop (Bears Ears NM) Hiking & Camping 5
Artemus PUBLIC COMMENT - Bears Ears and Grand Staircase Escalante Management Plans General Discussion 19
IntrepidXJ Meet the woman who knows Bears Ears best General Discussion 106
SKLund Bears Ears: Jamming Government to Gulch Backpacking 1
uintafly Bears Ears Coalition General Discussion 5
TheMountainRabbit News Release: Yellowstone National Park increases protection for bears and visitor safety by implementing changes to two bear management areas General Discussion 14
balzaccom Bears Repeating General Discussion 0
Laura V. Bears in Salt Creek Canyon, Canyonlands Trip Planning 76
balzaccom Which would you prefer: bears or boars? General Discussion 0
regehr bears in Jarbidge Range? Trip Planning 2
T Grizzly bears in Wind River Mountains Noobs: Introduce yourself! 12
NorthwestWanderer 5 Day Olympic National Park On & Off trail expedition (6 bears) Backpacking 10
NorthwestWanderer Route Finding adventure, Copper Pass to Blue Lake - Goats, Bears, Lions, Oh my! Backpacking 3
Rockskipper The bears are definitely out near Ennis, MT General Discussion 3
P Bears and hyperphagia and hiking question General Discussion 9
Nick Going tent-free with bears? General Discussion 9
b.stark Maze 2017-But seriously, where are Steve's gummy bears? Backpacking 7
DrNed Six Year Study of Bears General Discussion 2
Perry Uinta Highline Trail: Food and Bears. General Discussion 39
Tomcat Bears General Discussion 54
HomerJ The Truth About Bears - Backpacker Mag General Discussion 1
Nick Bears in The Sawtooths General Discussion 8
Nick Salt Creek Bears General Discussion 3
Nick Yellowstone Bears Attacking Humans For Food? General Discussion 14
leatherman Food and Bears General Discussion 22
Nick Yosemite Baby Bears General Discussion 1
WasatchWill Bear Ears NM officially in transition? General Discussion 6
Laura Bear's Ears Trip Planning 2
scatman The Gallatin River, Bighorn and Fawn Passes, Yellowstone National Park - September 7, 2023 Backpacking 14
futurafree government shutdown effects on national forests? General Discussion 21
BJett Packrafting the Obed National Wild & Scenic River - Tennessee On The Water 1
fossana New Baaj Nwaavjo I'tah Kukveni National Monument General Discussion 4
J York Fire, Mojave National Preserve. Aug 2023 Resource Discussions 3
Janice Field Trip - Washington Post podcast about national parks General Discussion 0
I Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 15
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park - June 3, 2023 Backpacking 56
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park (again!) 06/04/2023 Hiking & Camping 6
TractorDoc Cuyahoga Valley National Park 05/28/2023 Hiking & Camping 20
scatman Rescue Creek - Yellowstone National Park Meet Up (Members Only) 19
D Need suggestions -Beaverhead-Deerlodge National forrest, and Phillipsburg, MT Trip Planning 5
Ted California couple killed in Yosemite National Park rockslide identified by park officials General Discussion 0
NorthwestWanderer Backpacking Grand Teton National Park : Fossil Pass,Fox Creek Pass,Indian Lake,Alaska Basin,Hurricane Pass,Ice Floe Lake,& Snowdrift Lake Backpacking 19
fossana New National Monument planned in Southern NV General Discussion 3