Backcountry Vehicles

The Subaru wagon is pushing 180k and should pass 200k before the rust cancer starts destroying body parts.

Talking Nissan here:
Get Lt 275 - 15's tires (I run Bridgestone Revos), do a 2" lift and crank the torsion bars a little (still can align it OK). You will get 3 - almost 4" don't buy a suspension kit buy separate poly blocks off ebay and buy bolts at local store (nut bolt bin), (American fine threaded fits perfect and cost less) ......get all for about $100.00. Install in about 4 hours. Skid plate, cut pattern out of cardboard and take to the local steel fab shop. I actually just got a piece of plate steel, made the pattern, cut it out with recipsaw. Get the shrockworks rocker guards, front radiator skid they save you in Moab. Also a front tow hook (chevy one fits easily). Get a LSD for the front (from 4x4parts). Been doing Nissans for 20 years. Current is a 02 Frontier, 04 Xterra. Have run both across Hells Revenge, Steelbender, Fins, Kane, etc....go anywhere I care to drive. Of course you can have the best and still get stuck......gotta know how to drive the rough stuff as well.

Dang Randy, that's almost the rate I put miles on the first brand new vehicle I ever bought. It was a '98 Dodge 3/4 ton 4x4, V10 powered. Got 10 MPG. I put 100K on it in 30 months! Put 370K on the truck I had before that, not counting the 40K it had on the clock when I bought it.

Currently putting about 30K a year on vehicles, but that is spread across three or four, so no one of them is really piling up the miles. My Jeep really only gets used on trips, it gets about 9K a year. My truck, well, actually, I don't currently own a truck, but I have another one ordered, anyway, my truck mostly only gets used on trips where the Jeep can't carry everything and gets about 9K a year too. Put about 12K on the daily driver, which is currently a work supplied Lexus SUV.

- DAA

Thinking really hard about switching to this...

Anyone ever done a Tundra? General feelings on full size trucks in the backcountry? I'm a big dude and the size would make me one happy camper.

I'm a big dude and the size would make me one happy camper.

I drove my F-250 off-road for many years, and now after retiring it to trailer duty and taking the Jeep in the backcountry, I can say that the ride is so much more important than size. I'm sure a Tundra would handle pretty nicely and you probably wouldn't really miss the better maneuverability of the Tacoma.

Reactions: DAA
I've driven 3/4 ton 4x4's for most of my trips for over thee decades. The last fifteen years, big four door models, mostly with diesel motors.

Have to agree with Dennis, the ride in a full size 3/4 ton rig offroad is pretty brutal. Like riding in a covered wagon. Which, combined with the fact I don't do any heavy towing anymore, is why I ordered a 1/2 ton for my new truck this time. The 1/2 tons just ride sooooooo much nicer, on and offroad.

The Tundra specifically, just doesn't do it for me - I think that '14 refresh is BADLY needed, they are really falling far behind Ford and Ram right now. But that's just personal preference. If you dig 'em, it doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks.

But as far as "getting there", I haven't seen any indications from your trip reports that you ever take your Tacoma's anywhere that a Tundra couldn't get to just as easily.

Myself, for the money vs. capability, I say if you even think you might like the full size truck - get it! Tacos are awesome, but they can't hold a candle to a full size half ton for interior space, cargo hauling and doing actual "truck" type stuff.

- DAA

Thanks for the input guys.

Agreed on the Tundra being way behind and overdue for that '14 refresh. I was kind of holding out for that hoping it would be like a big Tacoma but I was pretty disappointed with the new look so gave up on that idea. Now that I look at things more closely, I don't really care for the current Tundra either except for that Rock Warrior package which I think looks really sweet. But then I imagine the '14 redesign with the Rock Warrior setup and it would probably do it for me too. So then I have to factor in the fact that I can get upwards of $7k off sticker on a '13 or wait until after Sept. and see what I can get off a '14. Probably not nearly as much... and there's something about buying the first trucks of a new redesign that makes me a little weary. Unwarranted?

As for the ride - yeah, I don't go anywhere too crazy. A handful of places in the last 4 years that I might not take a full size but I don't feel all that compelled to go back to any of those. It was mostly just screwing around.

In regard to cargo space, I was almost thinking with a full size truck that I could get nearly as much bed storage in by putting on a tonneau cover rather than a full shell on a Taco. Anyone ever gone that way? How did you like it? I can't imagine a Taco without a shell but I would really love to keep the truck look if I could make it work with a full size.

I bought my '05 Xterra just weeks after its major refresh...I'll never do that again. I had all kinds of piddly problems with it. None of them were major, but they were persistent, ongoing, and frustrating. And almost all of the problems were common with the '05s.

... and there's something about buying the first trucks of a new redesign that makes me a little weary. Unwarranted?

Not unwarranted. But, it doesn't help to generalize, either. You need to look at the details, the specifics, exactly what is being changed and in what ways. Some things, are very low risk for any kind of problem, others, perhaps more risk for trouble but not much chance of being major. Then there are the really big mechanical system changes, that just might be major problems - or not - they may just be major improvements.

Buying an early refresh is not a deal killer for me, I've done it before and been totally happy, but, it is reason for caution!

- DAA

Talking Nissan here:
Get Lt 275 - 15's tires (I run Bridgestone Revos), do a 2" lift and crank the torsion bars a little (still can align it OK). You will get 3 - almost 4" don't buy a suspension kit buy separate poly blocks off ebay and buy bolts at local store (nut bolt bin), (American fine threaded fits perfect and cost less) ......get all for about $100.00. Install in about 4 hours. Skid plate, cut pattern out of cardboard and take to the local steel fab shop. I actually just got a piece of plate steel, made the pattern, cut it out with recipsaw. Get the shrockworks rocker guards, front radiator skid they save you in Moab. Also a front tow hook (chevy one fits easily). Get a LSD for the front (from 4x4parts). Been doing Nissans for 20 years. Current is a 02 Frontier, 04 Xterra. Have run both across Hells Revenge, Steelbender, Fins, Kane, etc....go anywhere I care to drive. Of course you can have the best and still get stuck......gotta know how to drive the rough stuff as well.

Whoa, I need to do this. What sizes are the poly blocks/bolts?
Can you post a pic of your fronty?

noooo! taco! i will miss poor taco! also, i will say that i really wanted a shell on my taco, but after this weekend of sleeping in the bed of the truck watching the stars every night i can't say that i will pursue getting one. plus it makes hauling bikes super easy with no shell.

Keliko go here: http://backcountrypost.com/forum/threads/backcountry-vehicle.1563/page-6#post-21320

2" blocks here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0d39cfdb&vxp=mtr

Bolts: Nut and Bolt Bin in Ogden (UT). I took mine in to get correct length. They are fine thread metric but you won't find that. Have to get fine thread US. They do work, buy the US thread that fits into the correct metric nut. Been on my trucks for a lot of years and haven't worked loose (Loctite them). More than 2" body lift you have to extend and modify things and its way simpler/cheaper than a suspension lift. Crank the torsion bars so you have 1/2" space between the rubber bumper (I replaced mine with low profile) and the upper A-arm. I also put sway a way heavier torsion bars on. You can still get a good alignment with that amount. Add the tires LT265-75x16s (typo in other post)....get decent clearance.

Fronty at work last year:
P1020196.JPG

noooo! taco! i will miss poor taco! also, i will say that i really wanted a shell on my taco, but after this weekend of sleeping in the bed of the truck watching the stars every night i can't say that i will pursue getting one. plus it makes hauling bikes super easy with no shell.

I've slept in the back of my taco several times now after that last experimental night. If your head is almost off the tailgate, it's like having no shell! :) Kinda sucks when the pillow falls off though...

I'm considering going up to a 4-door Tundra when they do the redesign in 2014.

I have a 2004 Tundra and I find it's too big for some of the places I want to go, the Tundras got even bigger in the next design after mine and aren't likely to get smaller again! (Mine has the scars to prove it's too big!)

Quicksand...

Quicksand! by IntrepidXJ, on Flickr

:)
BTDT - last year I was happily driving along chatting with my customers on a Cathedral Valley tour for the local outfitter when we ran into a wash that was soaked, road was dry, air was 90F. I was in 2WD as there hadn't been any hint of problems. Got in and out 6 times to dig 18" of sloppy mud, put the boards in place and drive another 2 feet. Customers thought it was a great adventure, me, not so much.

I have a 2004 Tundra and I find it's too big for some of the places I want to go, the Tundras got even bigger in the next design after mine and aren't likely to get smaller again! (Mine has the scars to prove it's too big!)

I hear ya, can't get a small truck anymore:(
That's why I keep my old one, that and I am cheap.

I drive a 4th gen 4Runner. I love it because it has more room in the back seat for companions. I did have a Tacoma. Don't worry I sold it because it was 2WD. Don't ask me why! I do love the 4Runner especially now that I'm toting baby gear around.