Backcountry Vehicles

I took the plunge into big truck land over the weekend. My trusty Taco is gone and has been replaced with a 2013 Tundra Rock Warrior. Exactly the same as in the video I posted above but with a sunroof. So far I'm absolutely loving having the larger truck. I've had a lot of people tell me that I won't be able to go to all the places I could with my Taco but I disagree. It's 5" wider so I probably won't be driving any super narrow stuff, but I don't think I would have anyway. Definitely stoked to finally get some of the comforts that I couldn't get in the taco like a sunroof and sliding rear window. The bed size is really nice too - I ordered a tonneau cover for it instead of a shell. Stoked!

20130629_144936.jpg

20130630_190808.jpg

Good call on the cover rather than shell. That is a great truck. Maybe one day I'll stop coveting and take the plunge as well. for now the 4Runner will have to do.

Salud!

Wow, looks huge. But also looks comfy. Did you trade in your truck or sell it?
My wife is moaning about my old truck. It rides like a.....like a truck:) She hates it. I'm starting to look but seems all trucks are on steroids. I am also looking at a Four Wheel Camper shells. I might be able to get her out into the wilderness more often if we owned one. I doubt my ancient Toyo could handle a shell.

Wow, looks huge. But also looks comfy. Did you trade in your truck or sell it?
My wife is moaning about my old truck. It rides like a.....like a truck:) She hates it. I'm starting to look but seems all trucks are on steroids. I am also looking at a Four Wheel Camper shells. I might be able to get her out into the wilderness more often if we owned one. I doubt my ancient Toyo could handle a shell.

Hehe, yeah, pretty big from what I'm used to. It'll be an interesting experiment seeing if I can make a full size truck work for all the stuff I do. I hope it works because it is damn comfy!

I traded the Taco in. Tried selling for a couple weeks but then I got the call that this one had finally arrived. They peeled the plastic off of it when I got there, it only had 3 miles on it. :)

It'll be an interesting experiment seeing if I can make a full size truck work for all the stuff I do. I hope it works because it is damn comfy!

I don't think you'll have much if any problem with the size. Like I said earlier, I've been using trucks that make your Tundra look kind of small for most of my backcountry vehicle travel for a long time. You'll be surprised how easy it is. One thing though, is you need to be mentallly prepared to accept lots of scratches. It just comes with the territory.

- DAA

The most recent addition to my Jeep...

An LED flood lamp mounted on a telescoping pole to provide area lighting for camp chores and cooking after dark. It's in the collapsed lowest position in this picture, but extends up a couple feet to get the light well above head/eye level.

_MG_6433W.jpg

Being an LED, it's only 18 watts, but really lights up the area very well. Better than the 200 watts worth of halogens it replaced.

20130328_Project_LED%20Pole-151.jpg

- DAA
Love that lighting solution. Is that a off the shelf solution or D.I.Y.?
Been looking to do the same for my Jeep.

That's a super easy DIY project. I posted the details on another site, don't think Nick will mind the link, so here it is.

- DAA

My backcountry vehicle:

SLC-Rex by Adam Isaac Photography, on Flickr

It's a pretty fun car off-road actually. Even though it doesn have much clearance. It gets me down most dirt roads, as far as I need to go. Been across the Skutumpah Rd, Petrified Forest Loop, Halls Creek Overlook, and many others. It has front and rear diff rally-car spec skid plates made by RallyArmor, and RallyArmor flaps.

I've been rocking a 1987 AMC Eagle wagon for the last few years and it has even gotten me over the Smokey Mountain Road post monsoon season. Just recently acquired a 1973 International Harvester Scout with a rebuilt front end and engine ( only 40 thou on the engine) and can't wait to get it out there. Only have about 5 grand invested in both and so far very little maintenance needed with the Eagle. Was going to lift it but now that i have the Scout it will be my lighter use car. I did put some General Grabber AT2s on it which was a huge upgrade over road tires!
Here's a pic of the two in my drive... Backcountry pics to come later.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375235052.377788.jpg

Well, here's one of the Eagle out in the Circle Cliffs as well...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375235135.061909.jpg

Entirely too nice Dave. I like the storage compartments in the side of the bed. Can't say those "rock sliders" will help much until you put a 6" lift on it :roflmao: . At least it has tow "hooks" in the front.... OK, I'll stop now ... :)

What size motor? I can't read the badge

Marty, those steps serve two important purposes. One, simple steps for the women to get in and out. I had a loaner from the dealer for a couple of weeks that didn't have them and the wife and daughter both complained bitterly about getting in and out without them.

But more importantly, knowing just how fragile those long thin pieces of tin actually are, they are mostly there to remind me that YES, this is a NICE truck :D. When I hear them starting to scrape, it just might trigger some faint response from whatever vestige of caution and common sense there might be hiding somewhere deep inside me. Then again, maybe not, they might just end up kinda bent :D.

It's a 5.7 liter - a 350. Not a fire breather by any means, with only something like 395 HP and 410 ft/lbs of torque, it feels like pretty weak sauce compared to my last couple of trucks. But, it is what it is...

It rides so much nicer than my last couple trucks it isn't even funny though. Reminds me of driving a big Chrysler 300. Except I've never been in a Chrysler 300 with as nice an interior as this truck. You really ought to see the INSIDE. Holy cow, talk about NICE! Every time I get in it, I start talking like Mr. Roarke, mumbling about how my butt is swathed in rich Corinthian leather... :roflmao:. And the seats are ventilated too, when I turn on the AC I get a nice cool breeze blowing around my boys. Keyless entry - no buttons, just walk up and grab the handle and it automatically unlocks, push button start - I never take the "key" (which isn't a key at all) out of my pocket, 8 speed trans, I can start it or lock/unlock it from anywhere with my phone, big 8.4 inch screen for the backup camera and the nav, internet connected, voice controls for everything from changing the radio to sending a text message, separate 7 inch screen in the instrument cluster for all kinds of stuff like trans oil temp, fuel economy etc., Garmin nav, thumping stereo, built in iPod controls, real hardwood trim, heated steering wheel, power rear window with defroster, sunroof, etc., etc., yadda-yadda. I like...

Gonna take it out in the dirt and get it all filthed up good and proper on Sunday :D.

- DAA

@DAA, How does the internet connection work? Through Bluetooth using your cellphone data connection? Can you use Pandora? Google Maps? Flash Flood detection? Nice truck, Dave. Has more features than my luxo-sedan!

Art, it's just a built in cellular, that turns the truck into a Wi-Fi hotspot. Dealer told me there was a free trial period for the feature. I haven't had any time to mess with it at all, but my Son was playing with it today and told me it's not activated - dealer may have been lying about the free trial period. It's not something I'm willing to pay for, so, guess maybe it doesn't have that after all.

There are other built in cellular features that I haven't had any time to try yet either. Supposedly it has a Pandora app built in that is fee, and others, but I have not looked at any of that yet.

Bluetooth it has too, supposed to be able to stream music etc. from phone, but, again, have not even looked at any of that yet.

While I have not had time to mess with any of the electronics, I have already installed Bilsteins on all four corners (adjustable leveling fronts), 3/4" spacers above the rear coils and Airlift 1000 airbags with onboard compressor and wireless controller. Busy day today...

Going to take a family Sunday drive across the North Slope road tomorrow, drop in at probably Bridger lake and drive back across to Mirror Lake highway. Ought to be a nice break-in cruise.

- DAA