Backcountry Vehicles

Nick, how are you liking the size of the tundra for your adventures? Obviously you need a big truck to tow the pontoon boat, but aside from that, any regrets with the tundra? I'm in the market for a new rig and I'm torn between the tundra and the tacoma. I'm a small guy, and the tacoma is plenty big enough inside, but I'm curious if the Tundra would be a step in the right direction or if it'd be too big.

I'm done with rock crawling, but I still want 4wd and a truck bed. Thoughts?

My only regret is that it doesn't have leather seats. Sage's long white dog hair and the black upholstery is an awful mix! But seriously, it's been great. Obviously the extra space is huge for me being a larger guy. It's really awesome to be able to have people in the backseat and not have to crush them with my seat. I also have really enjoyed having a tonneau rather than a shell. With the larger bed size of the Tundra, I think I still get about the same storage space as I did in my Taco with a shell. But it's easier to see out the back and looks a lot better, IMO. It's also nice to have a kind of trunk where you can leave things locked up without them being visible to someone peaking in.

As far as off roading, I haven't done anything too gnarly since I got it. The road down to Muddy Creek at Hidden Splendor is about the narrowest/scariest spot I've taken it and it did fine. I definitely feel the extra size on the road though. I'm not as quick to pass bikers without having plenty of open lane, etc. Overall, I love it. I think I'm going to keep it for a long time.

would you feel comfortable taking it into the maze through teapot canyon?

Here's my favorite off-road pictures though. I actually got these published in JP magazine a few years ago.

View attachment 18657 View attachment 18658

Thats funny, though I did manage to get one of those stuck to the point it had to be air lifted out of the tank trap I went through and didnt make it. Wish I knew what I do now, then, I would have gotten pics of that one.

Haha! How in the hell did you tip that thing over?!

Getting ready for my second deployment and we had some unscheduled time. We decided to use that time for some "react to an IED threat" training. Essentially though we were just tearing ass across the Texas desert. The guy driving (the guy in the second picture lighting a cigarette instead of helping us push it back over) made a corner (can't really see that in the pictures) and clipped the vegetation-rise on the sides of the road and landed it on its side. No one was hurt so we all laughed, pushed it back over, drove it back, and later replaced the broken drivers side mirror. No harm no foul. ;-)

Getting ready for my second deployment and we had some unscheduled time. We decided to use that time for some "react to an IED threat" training. Essentially though we were just tearing ass across the Texas desert. The guy driving (the guy in the second picture lighting a cigarette instead of helping us push it back over) made a corner (can't really see that in the pictures) and clipped the vegetation-rise on the sides of the road and landed it on its side. No one was hurt so we all laughed, pushed it back over, drove it back, and later replaced the broken drivers side mirror. No harm no foul. ;-)

And this is why my Battalion Commander never gave us "free" time when he had the option... LOL, left on our own, we came up with some pretty interesting crap to mess with one another, other braches or demolition derby antics. Always good to have a few friends in on it from the motor pool

Reactions: Don
I just replaced my trusty tacoma with a v8 4Runner. I love this rig. It's not as capable off-road as my old tacoma was, but it'll be plenty capable for what I intend to do with it.

This is the first V8 I've owned and I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to a v6. :) It'll look a lot better once it has a BCP sticker on the back.

20140811_193713.jpg

Here's what I've been using for trips the last 5 years. It's an 08 VW Rabbit. Not very much off road capability, but has gotten me were I need to go though. Taken it up a few hills in reverse since it's front wheel drive. Good times. Just finished school so I think I'll be getting a new more off road capable vehicle sometime this year (leaning towards a Tacoma, but not sure yet). Thinking if I get a smaller truck it will keep me from buying bigger toys in the future. ;)

car.jpg

The best off road vehicle I ever owned was a '97 4Runner. Hugely snow and mud capable, short wheelbase so it wouldn't high center and totally reliable for 250000 miles and then I sold it to be able to pull a trailer. Currently own a Tundra which is satisfactory and holds a ton of gear and people, but it does get stuck more.

011.stuck truck.2.jpg 013.stuck truck.4.jpg

There's a full redesign of the Tacoma coming in 2016 that just got shown for the first time. Something to consider if anyone is considering upgrading. It's possible deals on the current model will be good next year, but knowing Toyota and Tacos, probably not that good. The new one is kinda pretty.

http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/this-is-it-2016-toyota-tacoma-pickup

Good catch. I think there is a redesign of the CJ/XJ jeep coming about then too, no?

I kind of like the looks of this new Taco too. I think they will have to scramble to catch back up to the 2015 Motor Trend Truck of the year - the new new mid-size Colorado.
http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear...olorado_is_the_motor_trend_truck_of_the_year/

Reactions: DAA
I about fell out of my chair when I saw the Colorado won truck of the year. I had one of those as my work truck for a few years. Paid for by my employer but it was my daily driver up and down Parley's Canyon in all sorts of nasty conditions. Hands down the worst newer vehicle I've ever driven. It didn't even deserve to be in the same class of vehicles as a Taco. They must have come a long way since the '09 model.