Backcountry Vehicles

I'm planning on trading in for a Tundra TRD Pro in 2015 or 2016. I just hope they come out with a grey version of it by then. If not, I kinda like the orange. Love that front end with the old school Toyota grille.

upload_2015-1-9_11-5-53.png

We decided to stop by the Subaru dealer the day before new years, and ended up getting a Crosstrek. Sadly our much loved 325Ix is on Craigslist. My wife wanted an Outback, but this was the only 2014 left and we got a smokin deal, so here it is:

I000063AZ3je56HM.jpg

Our first new car in 20 years, I like it a lot. Nearly 9" of clearance, it should handle most of my off roading (which isn't too extreme). That is if i can pry it out of my wife's hands.

I'm planning on trading in for a Tundra TRD Pro in 2015 or 2016. I just hope they come out with a grey version of it by then. If not, I kinda like the orange. Love that front end with the old school Toyota grille.

View attachment 24439

I thought you were keeping yours a bit longer :)

I'm pretty excited for the new tacoma. I can't wait to see what they've changed with the motor.

Aan a 325ix is a fantastic car. I had a '91 that I shouldn't have sold.

I think they quit making CJ's in '86? And XJ's in '01? No updates or redesigns coming on either of those, ever :D.

- DAA
Well you know me and my jeep tracking... A new *J something. The current real jeep...

I wasn't aware there are any "current real jeeps" since they lengthened all the wheel bases years ago to make them safer for Suburbia? Had an '88 Cherokee Laredo that was AWESOME. Got 21 miles a gallon and that 4 liter engine jeep used for almost half a century was awesome. IT was great getting around but had to always use a tent because unless you're under 5'8" sleeping in the back of that Cherokee was painful.

I have a '98 Longbed F150. Only two passengers in front. Since you're an idiot if you Cowboy Camp [in the open under the stars] here in Grizzly Country I really appreciate the ample room under my shell. I do a lot of vehicle camping and just don't like setting up a tent unless there's more than me and a lady.

Tacomas and Frontiers impress the Hades out of me. They forced Detroit to make much better trucks. My SE V6 Nissan '93 pickup was amazing, never should have given it to a friend in 2010. Greatly preferred it to my 2006 Ranger.

With all due respect when it comes to bad roading Subarus do nothing for me. I have family with a Ranch complex at the end of a serious 6 mile road and Subarus have consistently had problems where real 4WDs with better clearance generally don't with competent drivers because you can do the sane thing and get down into the ruts. AWD is *NOT* good for seriously greasy roads, especially if you don't have the clearnace to get down into the ruts. I loved Subarus for most travel but beware ones manufactured right around 2000; they're notorious for having to have the engine replaced. They can last a long time...if you don't make them do what they should not be doing.

With all due respect when it comes to bad roading Subarus do nothing for me. I have family with a Ranch complex at the end of a serious 6 mile road and Subarus have consistently had problems where real 4WDs with better clearance generally don't with competent drivers because you can do the sane thing and get down into the ruts. AWD is *NOT* good for seriously greasy roads, especially if you don't have the clearnace to get down into the ruts. I loved Subarus for most travel but beware ones manufactured right around 2000; they're notorious for having to have the engine replaced. They can last a long time...if you don't make them do what they should not be doing.

With all due respect, I disagree with pretty much everything you just said.

My 20 year old Legacy does what it should not be doing and cranks along just fine. The MY98-02 Legacies and Outbacks have a tendency to blow head gaskets, but that's short of requiring a full short block replacement unless the operator is an idiot who keeps driving on a damaged engine. Clearance varies depending on model but a well-driven Subaru will go many places more "capable" small SUVs and crossovers will not. The manual transmission AWD system is a 50/50 split and short of ending up in a situation with opposite wheels off the ground, it is incredibly capable on loose surfaces. The automatic transmissions are a less useful 90/10 split until slip occurs, but there are tricks to get around this with older cars.

A Subaru is not a jeep or a lifted truck. There are certainly tradeoffs to using an AWD car as a trailhead machine. But with the right driver, they're more capable than you give them credit for being.

I wasn't aware there are any "current real jeeps" since they lengthened all the wheel bases years ago to make them safer for Suburbia? Had an '88 Cherokee Laredo that was AWESOME. Got 21 miles a gallon and that 4 liter engine jeep used for almost half a century was awesome. IT was great getting around but had to always use a tent because unless you're under 5'8" sleeping in the back of that Cherokee was painful.

First, the dissenting opinion: The Wrangler JK platform is hands down the best factory Jeep for off or on roading yet made. Yes, one can make a CJ just as capable, but they certainly weren't from the factory. My current Jeep squad consists of a much modified 55 CJ3B (absolutely the most fun), a 68 CJ5 (V6 version) that is mostly stock, and the 2012 Rubicon unlimited. The Rubicon is far the most enjoyable on a long trip and with the Mopar 2" lift, can go anywhere the other two can. But in my opinion, still needs about another 50hp.

Subarus: I have had 3 over the years, the last being a 2003 Forester optioned with the rear limited slip. We got stuck on our 3/4 mile long driveway way too many times. Not enough clearance or power when the snow actually got deep-but you gotta dig the aroma from a burning clutch disc. Not to mention snow packed in the wheel wells to the point there wasn't any suspension left and you could barely turn the front wheels. It was traded in on the 2012 JK, and with the exception of mileage, the Jeep wins hands down in every way when it comes to deep snow-or for just about anything else except an all pavement highway trip. No substitute for having both axles locked and a LOT more ground clearance be it snow, mud, or rocks.

Ida bought a Raptor, they look sharp.......but the price would have bankrupted me...
My main off road vehicles are a Xterra and/or a Frontier, my off road pavement truck is a Silverado. (only because its too big for Moab)

I could give a rats ass what you think of Subaru's.
I only care what by wife thinks and she is stoked!:)

We decided to stop by the Subaru dealer the day before new years, and ended up getting a Crosstrek. Sadly our much loved 325Ix is on Craigslist. My wife wanted an Outback, but this was the only 2014 left and we got a smokin deal, so here it is:

That is one sexy suby.