Backcountry Vehicles

I recently upgraded my '97 F-250 to an '03 F-250. I doubt I'll take this one to the Maze like I did the older truck, though it's much more comfortable to drive on dirt roads. Here's the new truck on top of Monument Peak, the highest point in Carbon County, Utah.

1c2oyEC29xaISS4yijdqCg5TB7fVRFdEiRgrTo9YM0NaYhBbf8AqTYqGJlxuL514ONFqACguPWtDKpCvBA=s800

I'm going to be in the market this month for a new vehicle...I'm looking for something that is a nice compromise between comfort on the road and some moderate off road capability. That is, I'm looking for something that can serve me well getting to work every day, handle well with a relatively comfortable ride out on the highways getting to distant trailheads and such, but then also be versatile enough to go deeper into the backcountry up some of the semi-rugged roads. Some examples of roads I'd like it to be able to reliably handle include the road all the way down HIR road to the actual HIR overlook, Poison Springs road south of Hanksville (and Black Jump), Bears Ears/Cedar Mesa roads, creek crossings in the Uintas, and other roads of that nature. It doesn't have to be able handle super rough off-road terrain more fit for modded/lifted Wranglers, 4Runners, and so on.

Due to budget constraints, it will certainly have be considerably used, likely around 10 years old with around 100K miles on it already, to keep from spending more than 5K to 8K on it. I considered something like a Nissan Frontier pickup with an extended cab, but figured that was less practical for being able to comfortably take a few of my kids and/or adult friends, out on longer trips. I had considered Subarus (Outbacks/Foresters), Toyota Rav4's, Honda CRV's, and the like for their fuel economy, but I'm thinking I'd prefer something with a little bit more clearance.

So, that all said, here's some models that have stuck out to me thus far most appealing with a bit of info I've gleaned from some early preliminary research and observations...

Ford Escape - lots of them out on the roads, appear to be fairly versatile. My biggest concern is the wheel control arms that angle down low into the wheels. Seem like those would negate some of the clearance advantages and could make driving over ruts and small boulders more of a chore to navigate over. Am I overthinking that? Lots of videos and pics out there on the Interwebs showing them still cruising through the same kind of semi-rugged terrain I expect to be traveling over.

Nissan Xterra - very pretty SUV imo and lots of them out on the roads with most owners seeming to really enjoy them. Not much to dislike.

Toyota 4Runner - Known for reliability, performance, long engine life, etc. Retains their value well. 150K miles on a 4runner more equivalent to 100K on most other vehicles out there? My wife loves them! She had a really old model for her first car as a teenager.

Jeep Liberty - Mixed bag. Lots of them out on the roads too, so obviously lots of people who seem to like them, but then they also consistently appear on top 10 lists of bad SUV's for the money with a bad track record for mechanical problems, etc.

I'm open to other recommendations, suggestions, things to be aware of with the above models, etc...but these are the style of vehicles I've kind of zeroed in on.

Thanks in advance.

I'm going to be in the market this month for a new vehicle...I'm looking for something that is a nice compromise between comfort on the road and some moderate off road capability. That is, I'm looking for something that can serve me well getting to work every day, handle well with a relatively comfortable ride out on the highways getting to distant trailheads and such, but then also be versatile enough to go deeper into the backcountry up some of the semi-rugged roads. Some examples of roads I'd like it to be able to reliably handle include the road all the way down HIR road to the actual HIR overlook, Poison Springs road south of Hanksville (and Black Jump), Bears Ears/Cedar Mesa roads, creek crossings in the Uintas, and other roads of that nature. It doesn't have to be able handle super rough off-road terrain more fit for modded/lifted Wranglers, 4Runners, and so on.

Due to budget constraints, it will certainly have be considerably used, likely around 10 years old with around 100K miles on it already, to keep from spending more than 5K to 8K on it. I considered something like a Nissan Frontier pickup with an extended cab, but figured that was less practical for being able to comfortably take a few of my kids and/or adult friends, out on longer trips. I had considered Subarus (Outbacks/Foresters), Toyota Rav4's, Honda CRV's, and the like for their fuel economy, but I'm thinking I'd prefer something with a little bit more clearance.

So, that all said, here's some models that have stuck out to me thus far most appealing with a bit of info I've gleaned from some early preliminary research and observations...

Ford Escape - lots of them out on the roads, appear to be fairly versatile. My biggest concern is the wheel control arms that angle down low into the wheels. Seem like those would negate some of the clearance advantages and could make driving over ruts and small boulders more of a chore to navigate over. Am I overthinking that? Lots of videos and pics out there on the Interwebs showing them still cruising through the same kind of semi-rugged terrain I expect to be traveling over.

Nissan Xterra - very pretty SUV imo and lots of them out on the roads with most owners seeming to really enjoy them. Not much to dislike.

Toyota 4Runner - Known for reliability, performance, long engine life, etc. Retains their value well. 150K miles on a 4runner more equivalent to 100K on most other vehicles out there? My wife loves them! She had a really old model for her first car as a teenager.

Jeep Liberty - Mixed bag. Lots of them out on the roads too, so obviously lots of people who seem to like them, but then they also consistently appear on top 10 lists of bad SUV's for the money with a bad track record for mechanical problems, etc.

I'm open to other recommendations, suggestions, things to be aware of with the above models, etc...but these are the style of vehicles I've kind of zeroed in on.

Thanks in advance.
Get a lifted Subaru! Comfortable, smooth and quiet ride, and reliable!

Joking aside, another disadvantage of independent suspension is that you don't get as much wheel travel when going over very uneven ground, but if you're not going to be going wheeling, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Out of the options you listed, I think I'd go for the 4runner, personally. 4wd, nice clearance, beam rear axle, more interior space than the competitors you listed, and reliable. They'll probably cost a bit more though. And the fuel economy won't be pretty.

That's my two cents, after spending months researching this kind of stuff a year and a half ago (we ended up with an Outback). It'll be good to hear from people who actually know stuff about cars though!

After having to tap out of several drives to trailheads in the Escalante/S. Capitol Reef area due to lack of clearance/suspension "travel" I decided a couple of years ago to trade in my Forester for an Xterra. It's a piggy on gas, but since I don't drive it much except to/from and in Utah/N. Arizona I don't have to worry as much about gas.
I've been happy with my choice so far. About 48K on the odo at the moment and nothing major although one of the doors suffers from a bit of fit and finish not being up to say, Toyota's standards.

This is my choice and we have a 2014 Trail Edition. This is the best truck I have ever owned - both on AND off road. And I have owned or driven many. Recommended.
That said, for this generation, the handling both on and off is substantially improved with the KDSS system as I have.

IMG_8672.jpeg
2013 Jeep Wrangler. Been out to trails in Sedona, North Carolina and Florida. So far it's been dependable and have it set up for road travel as well as off road. Get 19 mpg's on the highway on the 33's.

Thanks in advance.

Lot of options out there, to be sure. I've been very happy with a full size crew cab pickup after years of owning mid-sized SUVs. Much more versatile, about the same mpg. A little more buy-in, probably (not sure what 10 yr old 4-runners are going for these days), but they have done everything I've wanted. Back seat is huge for my kids, nice to just roll out the bag in the bed, and nice to be able to haul all manner of things, of course.

Not sure how much off road experience you have, so sorry if I'm preaching to the choir. Depending how much you really plan to use the vehicle, you may want to pay attention to whether it has a 'traditional' transfer case w/ high and low range, equal division of power front and rear, etc., compared to the computer controlled awd systems in some of the smaller SUVs. I don't know, but I'd guess the Escape falls into this class. I haven't looked at those type of vehicles for a while, but I think that the Xterras and 4 Runners will have high and low range abilities. Low range on a rough road can be invaluable, even if you don't need the extra traction. Creeping slowly over rough areas is nice. Also, the ability to descend a long hill w/o being on the brakes the whole time is a lifesaver at times. I've been in off road situations with a couple of the smaller SUVs you mentioned (a highlander and a CRV). Once on the Gemini Bridges road (a pretty mild road -- I use 4wd for about 5 seconds on it in my truck) and once trying to get up to a ski cabin on snowy roads. They really struggled with sand, 4" deep snow and situations where you have uneven traction between the wheels (their stock street tires didn't help, though, for sure).

Finally, don't know what you're driving now, but don't underestimate how much you'll spend on gas getting to and from places when you dip below the 20 mpg threshold! While my truck gets relatively good mileage for a truck (2015 F150 ecoboost, 20-21 mpg freeway), I'll still spend $70-100 on gas going to Moab and back for a long weekend. Tires cost twice as much, you have to service transfer cases and axles, etc. You'll face similar costs with a 4 Runner or Xterra or whatever. Occasional expenses, to be sure, but ... It is enough to make me consider getting a Subaru, since 99% of my driving is, of course, on the freeway or dirt roads where the truck's capabilities are just an added cost. BTW, clearance on an Outback isn't a problem. They are equal to or greater than most SUVs in that capacity. My brother has one (all stock, not lifted :) ), and he takes it a lot of places.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.

My brief opinions...

Foresters and Outbacks have decent clearance (8.7) I think and get decent gas mileage. Newer Outbacks currently have plusher rides vs Foresters.

Escape - might as well get a Subaru - better clearance (pretty sure). But might be alright.

Xterra - great choice, gas mileage not so great though. But you get great clearance, 4x4, and ruggedness.

4 Runner - awesome...but $$$$

Jeep Liberty - supposed bad reliability and mechanical problems...so I'm with you on that one.

Good luck...let us know as you narrow it down.

2005 or newer Frontier hauls 4 comfortably so don't discount that one if price is right

Any extended it crew cab pickup nowdays are comfortable

2005 or newer Frontier hauls 4 comfortably so don't discount that one if price is right
That's my only disappointment with them. Only two seats in back instead of a full bench to seat three. There's one I see most days in the parking lot at work. It's got a roof rack on it and just looks really nice and equipped for some adventurous trips into pretty rugged terrain.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

My brief opinions...

Foresters and Outbacks have decent clearance (8.7) I think and get decent gas mileage. Newer Outbacks currently have plusher rides vs Foresters.

Escape - might as well get a Subaru - better clearance (pretty sure). But might be alright.

Xterra - great choice, gas mileage not so great though. But you get great clearance, 4x4, and ruggedness.

4 Runner - awesome...but $$$$

Jeep Liberty - supposed bad reliability and mechanical problems...so I'm with you on that one.

Good luck...let us know as you narrow it down.
I may have to reconsider Subarus. They don't look very high off the ground when next to a true 4x4 SUV, but that's all my in-laws will drive so they obviously like them a lot. My wife and I drove a Forester they had down to Cedar Mesa, down Cigarette Springs Road, and off down to the end of the spur road leading out by the Citadel to have a look around and it handled some real big looking ruts and dips along that spur road surprisingly well. For that matter, I may have to reconsider Rav4s and CRVs too.

That's my only disappointment with them. Only two seats in back instead of a full bench to seat three. There's one I see most days in the parking lot at work. It's got a roof rack on it and just looks really nice and equipped for some adventurous trips into pretty rugged terrain.

I have a 2002 frontier....back is only good for gear and small kids. Son had a 2006 and we took four all the time and were fine.... A third in back would be tough. For most comfort you'll have to go to full size .. I have a Silverado and six is comfortable

A truck or SUV is not for gas mileage.... You are driving a box sitting high off the ground..... Have to decide what you want... High clearance, 4 wheel drive..... Or a highway cruzer that hangs up on the curbs. And all wheel drive IS NOT the same as 4 Wheel drive in the sticks

Anything you listed is a better option than a mid-size pickup in my experience. Very uncomfortable ride off road. Too light in the ass end so it bounces all over, where 'all over' is inevitably in the direction of the sheer drop off the side of the road. Mine will be a fond memory in a week or two depending on degree of wife resistance.

Love my 02 Frontier.....I set it up for Moab, handles great. 15OK on it .... Needs a rebuild now when I get the time. Smaller trucks aren't for everyone. My Silverado is way cushier tho. Handles the rough fine...just too big.

Anything you listed is a better option than a mid-size pickup in my experience. Very uncomfortable ride off road. Too light in the ass end so it bounces all over, where 'all over' is inevitably in the direction of the sheer drop off the side of the road. Mine will be a fond memory in a week or two depending on degree of wife resistance.

This can be true but it totally depends on the suspension. I've always had trucks with off road tuned suspension and they are the smoothest ride I've ever been in on rough roads. Of course my bed is pretty much never empty but on my last Taco I had extra leaf springs put in to counter that.

If I had it to do again I'd have bought a full size, but yeah mine is definetly not rigged up with true offroading parts.

I may have to reconsider Subarus. They don't look very high off the ground when next to a true 4x4 SUV, but that's all my in-laws will drive so they obviously like them a lot. My wife and I drove a Forester they had down to Cedar Mesa, down Cigarette Springs Road, and off down to the end of the spur road leading out by the Citadel to have a look around and it handled some real big looking ruts and dips along that spur road surprisingly well.

I drive a Subaru Crosstrek, and am really pleased with the thing overall. (So much so that I'm one of the moderators of the main Crosstrek internet forum.) As was noted, it has 8.7 inches of ground clearance, and is small and nimble enough that it's actually kind of fun to drive. I've driven it off-pavement in Utah quite a bit, and though it's not a rock crawler I'd feel comfortable taking it on 98% of the two-tracks I'm likely to encounter. The only major issues are that it has a lousy approach angle, and the stock tires aren't great for that sort of stuff.

Something like a Subie is a great choice if you aren't looking for an offroad-only rig, but want a daily driver that can handle both the weekday commute and some weekend adventures. It's a comfortable ride, I average about 30 MPG, and I'm not hauling a pickup bed around that would be empty 99% of the time. The 2018 Crosstreks are re-engineered on a completely new platform, and they've got a fair amount going for them.

2013-07-10g.jpg