Backcountry Vehicles

@Jessica and I are pretty close to getting a better backcountry vehicle (we're rocking a Civic and a Maxima right now) and have tested out a Subaru Outback, Tacoma TRD Pro, Nissan Frontier Pro-4x, GMC Canyon Z71, and Cherokee Trailhawk so far. We thought the Trailhawk was the best compromise between off-road capability, fuel economy, highway comfort, and price but all the complaints people have with the transmission and with Chrysler/Fiat in general have kind of scared us away from it. Does anyway have any experience with one of these?

Otherwise, we're between the Canyon (with that ugly air dam removed) and the Subaru (and maybe the Tacoma), but we're not sure about what the Subaru can handle. We won't be running Hell's Revenge, Fins n Things, etc., but we're interested in doing the White Rim Road, the Swell, Grand Gulch... your standard backcountry dirt roads. Would a stock Outback 3.6R have trouble with a lot of that? I trust the BCP community much more than I trust car salesmen.

How does the ground clearance on the Outback compare to the trucks? Seems like I read recently that it was decent. They are everywhere in the mountains of North Carolina.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

The Canyon Z71 is 9.3", the Tacoma is 9.4", and the Outback is 8.7".

Well, I did a bit more research, and we ended up putting down a deposit to reserve a 2017 Outback that should arrive by next Tuesday. Going to put some all terrain tires on it shortly after and see how it does!

Keep us posted on how this works out for you. My wife and I are looking at getting an outback when it is time to get a new car. I have a 99 wrangler that is supposed to be our go out and do stuff vehicle, but more often than not we end up taking the 02 Jetta TDI. It is hard to pass up that mileage, but taking it out places also probably explains why I have to replace the belly pan so often. I just ordered in a new top for the jeep, did some grinding and painting, replaced the serpentine belt, and oil change. Hopefully that will get it out of the driveway on outings other than to take the trailer with grass clippings to the green waste facility.

Well, I did a bit more research, and we ended up putting down a deposit to reserve a 2017 Outback that should arrive by next Tuesday. Going to put some all terrain tires on it shortly after and see how it does!

All-terrain tires, a modest lift and some undercarriage protection will get you a long way. I'm not sure how friendly the newer-model Subarus are to lifting since they don't have the same type of suspension as the 90-00 models.

Primitive Enterprises makes by far the best off-the-shelf underbody protection for Subarus: http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/index.htm

Offroading with a Subaru you lose locking differentials, wheel travel and low-range gearing. For most dirt road use though, they're more than up to the task.

_MG_5777-HDR.jpg

All-terrain tires, a modest lift and some undercarriage protection will get you a long way. I'm not sure how friendly the newer-model Subarus are to lifting since they don't have the same type of suspension as the 90-00 models.

Primitive Enterprises makes by far the best off-the-shelf underbody protection for Subarus: http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/index.htm

Offroading with a Subaru you lose locking differentials, wheel travel and low-range gearing. For most dirt road use though, they're more than up to the task.

View attachment 44909
Right on. I was thinking I'd go for the tires first, then skid plates, then the lift. I've seen lift kits for up to 2016, and the 2017 is the same design, so it would probably work.

The lack of low-range gears and locking differential were what made me hesitate, but it ended up being a smarter decision for where we are in life. These new ones have a feature called "X-mode" that doesn't quite make up for the lack of low range gearing, but is supposed to help you move slowly down steep stuff. I'm not sure how well it works or even how it works, but I'm looking forward to reading more about it and trying it out.

Your trip report on doing the White Rim Road in your wagon is inspirational. I'm not sure I'd be tough enough to try those hills without 4WD.

Last edited:
The lack of low-range gears and locking differential were what made me hesitate, but it ended up being a smarter decision for where we are in life. These new ones have a feature called "X-mode" that doesn't make up for the lack of low range gearing, but is supposed to help you move slowly down steep stuff. I'm not sure how well it works or even how it works, but I'm looking forward to reading more about it and trying it out

Interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this tech.

I've gotten to every trailhead, Moab wheeling, dirt roads, etc with my Frontier and or Xterra. No locking diff, no lift on them, just one size larger LT tires. That's here out west.

I've gotten to every trailhead, Moab wheeling, dirt roads, etc with my Frontier and or Xterra. No locking diff, no lift on them, just one size larger LT tires. That's here out west.
Do you have skid plates on either?

View attachment 44909
x6. This is the man the soloed the white rim in his Subie. In winter. What he says...

I have had a bunch of 'adventure' vehicles (Jeep Grand Cherokee, XJ, Wrangler, Outback). But it is hard to beat a crew cab 1/2 ton pickup if you really want to transport 5 people and gear. I don't think I could go back to anything else. As an added bonus, my 2015 F150 2.7 ecoboost is averaging 21.5 mpg. Which is better than any of my other vehicles ever got, including the Outback (particularly when loaded down with 4 people and bikes/roof box/gear, etc).

I have had a bunch of 'adventure' vehicles (Jeep Grand Cherokee, XJ, Wrangler, Outback). But it is hard to beat a crew cab 1/2 ton pickup if you really want to transport 5 people and gear. I don't think I could go back to anything else. As an added bonus, my 2015 F150 2.7 ecoboost is averaging 21.5 mpg. Which is better than any of my other vehicles ever got, including the Outback (particularly when loaded down with 4 people and bikes/roof box/gear, etc).

Amen! I'm loving my F150 and ecoboost. We had 5 and a dog in it for a trip from SLC to Colorado and back this past weekend. Everyone was totally comfortable.

Amen! I'm loving my F150 and ecoboost. We had 5 and a dog in it for a trip from SLC to Colorado and back this past weekend. Everyone was totally comfortable.

It is crazy how roomy the back seat is in the Supercrew. And hard to beat the ecoboost's power!

Jumping into the really expensive gear category...

I'm curious to know what vehicle people use to get to their favorite backpacking/hiking/fishing destinations.

Unfortunately, some of my trips get planned around my '98 Honda Accord. Eventually, I'm going to get a vehicle than can get me to some trailheads that the Accord just can't. For example, one of the trips I'm planning for next summer is into the West Fork Blacks Fork drainage of the Uintas. It would be nice to be able to ford the river and not worry about some of the extra rough spots.

Ideally, I'd like a vehicle with 4WD, high clearance, and room for 4-5 people with gear. This has led me to dream about vehicles like the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, Toyota Tacoma Double Cab, and Nissan Xterra.

For now I'll keep dreaming, but what are people using to get to their little harder to reach destinations?

Zep

I have an Xterra and love it. More importantly my wife loves it. Used only now because Nissan no longer makes them. Works well as a grocery getter as well. It is not designed as a hardcore 4x4. You won't see the usual stuff as on a Rubicon, FJ, or Tacoma. You can add and retrofit that stuff for $$$. If you get an Xterra, skip the Pro4X. Instead get an automatic transmission. They have had trouble with the stick shifts. Avoid model year 06. Problems there. Just get a used generation one or two regular 4x4 and if you have the coin, a lift kit and new tires. You'll be good to go.

I used to have a 1997 ram, 8ft box with a 5.9 gas and locking differentials front and rear. It used a ton of fuel but could go anywhere you wanted. I now have a plain Jane 2dr jeep wrangler sport. Even without locking diffs it can hold its own.