Album Your favorite shots from 2015

There is no emoji to express how I feel right now....mind blown. Thanks all for sharing.
Salud!

sent from an undisclosed location

Thanks Nicholas. I personally want to thank you for working so hard at keeping our community place alive and healthy. This thread demonstrates the great talent of our members in capturing scenes of our land and it also documents the natural environment, recording what this land can look like when nature is untrammeled and undeveloped.

BCP inspires me. These landscapes obviously inspire all of you.

We have a disparate range of user interests and passions but I think we here can all agree that our natural landscapes are valuable and worthy of our stewardship, no, require our stewardship. These wild lands and views are shrinking - in variety, due to commonality, and at least partially due to our experiencing and sharing them. My fervent hope is that our enthusiasm and sharing will yield more interest in stewardship and preservation of these wild lands so that the creatures of this environment and our human successors can live in these same landscapes and be inspired.

Last edited:
View attachment 36944
My favorite of the year, from Yellowstone.

View attachment 36945
Floating the upper Green River probably ranks as my favorite outdoor experience of 2015.

View attachment 36947
This sunrise at Neon made me miss the 16-35 f/2.8's superb sunstars.

View attachment 36948
This composition really spoke to me when I shot it. Didn't seem to resonate with anyone online but I loved the juxtaposition of foreground and background elements.

View attachment 36949
A 10-stop ND filter helped convey the wild motion in the skies during a rainy Memorial Day hike in Upper Muley.

View attachment 36951
@Nick shared this amazing spot during our Autumn Ambling overnighter.

View attachment 36952
This serene morning shooting sunrise along Havasu Creek yielded a bunch of keepers. The motion in the water in this shot made it one of my favorites.
You were being a bit modest Ashergrey saying you couldn't follow Nick's stuff. These are great too

Last edited:
Was going to start complementing people on their shots, but so many are so good.

This one I particularly like as sometimes I feel guilty dragging my kids around Utah rather than going to the beach like others' vacations, so I love it when they're enjoying themselves as much as me. The one year old had only ever been in water in the bath so was a bit terrified of moving water when we first got here in Mill Creek, but 20 minutes later he was smiling

y8r47u

710 resized.jpg

Apart from that I thought I should post pics I havn't already posted in trip reports & these 2 are from a trip I did this October but haven't yet got round to sorting photos from or doing a TR. I like a sunset so thought I'd pick 2 on

des4 810 imp resized.jpg that theme - it was a great night alone with one friend camping on the top of Canaan Mountain with 360 degrees of beautiful views including north towards Zion

des4 802 pano 2 resized.jpg

...it was a great night alone with one friend camping on the top of Canaan Mountain with 360 degrees of beautiful views including north towards Zion

That's the best view I've ever seen of Canaan. Nicely done.

Was going to start complementing people on their shots, but so many are so good.

This one I particularly like as sometimes I feel guilty dragging my kids around Utah rather than going to the beach like others' vacations, so I love it when they're enjoying themselves as much as me. The one year old had only ever been in water in the bath so was a bit terrified of moving water when we first got here in Mill Creek, but 20 minutes later he was smiling

y8r47u

View attachment 37373

Apart from that I thought I should post pics I havn't already posted in trip reports & these 2 are from a trip I did this October but haven't yet got round to sorting photos from or doing a TR. I like a sunset so thought I'd pick 2 on

View attachment 37374 that theme - it was a great night alone with one friend camping on the top of Canaan Mountain with 360 degrees of beautiful views including north towards Zion

View attachment 37375
Great Pics. The B&W of the kids is superb.

Canaan Mountain! It is in my route design phase. Looking forward to that trip report.

Here are my favorite photos from the year...

Started the year off at Zion NP on New Years Day!! It was my first time seeing snow at Zion!
DSC_9818-Edit.jpg

My favorite sunset photo of the year
DSC_0445-Edit.jpg

The next two are from a camping trip high up in the Salt River Range in WY
DSC_0571.jpg
DSC_0600.jpg

This is my new favorite place in the Bear River Range - Valley below White Pine Lake
IMG_0045-Edit.jpg

A few from a car camping trip in the Uintas.
Near Ruth Lake
DSC00084-Edit_stitch.jpg
Watson Lake
DSC00107.jpg

Tony Grove Lake
DSC01020-Edit.jpg

Here are my favorite photos from the year...

Started the year off at Zion NP on New Years Day!! It was my first time seeing snow at Zion!
View attachment 37430

My favorite sunset photo of the year
View attachment 37432

The next two are from a camping trip high up in the Salt River Range in WY
View attachment 37436
View attachment 37437

This is my new favorite place in the Bear River Range - Valley below White Pine Lake
View attachment 37433

A few from a car camping trip in the Uintas.
Near Ruth Lake
View attachment 37431
Watson Lake
View attachment 37434

Tony Grove Lake
View attachment 37435

Wow those are amazing shots Homerj!

2015 turned out to be a bad year for me. Among other things, my mom passed away on October 13th. Consequently, I didn't get to the backcountry very much. So, in light of that, here's toasting for a better 2016!

Sorry to read about your mom. Lost mine 20 years ago and I still think about her a lot.
Hoisting my coffee cup right now to join you in your toast.

y8r47u

View attachment 37373

View attachment 37374 that theme - it was a great night alone with one friend camping on the top of Canaan Mountain with 360 degrees of beautiful views including north towards Zion

View attachment 37375

Beautiful portrait. The other shots are great too, but you captured something very special with that one.

y8r47u

This one is amazing.

great thread with tons of fantastic photos!

Here are some of mine - haven't been out much since July.

Coyote Gulch in November
coyote.jpg

Mt. Rainier in July
reflection.jpg

The Subway
white shadows.jpg

Panther Creek Falls this spring
return to hobbit falls.jpg

Sunset @ White Pocket last month
winter ceremony.jpg

Olympic National Park in May
fleeting.jpg

The Narrows
into the void.jpg

Well I don't think I'll surpass my favorite shot of December in the next week so I can give my year in review. Narrowing things down was really fun and pretty hard as I've done entirely too much and enjoyed taking pictures of it all at the same time. So I narrowed it to a favorite picture for each month, except May. Oddly enough, I have no pictures from May.

January: What I call the "Crocodile's Back" in the Cottonwood Cove of South Coyote Buttes. Of all the weird and beautiful features of the area, this one surprised me the most.
Coyote South-107.jpg

February: The Anniversary Narrows near Lake Mead. Slot canyons are some of the most beautiful things that nature can create and the curves of this one section in the slot worked out perfectly.
Anniversary Narrows-35.jpg

March: Runoff in Zion is a freak thing to catch and even then how will the conditions favor a picture? This series of miniature falls between potholes managed to fit into that small window of perfect timing.
Wet Zion-52.jpg

April: Cacti blooms are another gorgeous work in nature's art. The juxtaposition of harsh spines and delicate beauty made this picture stand out over other pictures on a visit to Toroweap Overlook of the Grand Canyon. Not an easy feat with that canyon view.
Toroweap-8.jpg

May... Had no pictures. I blame the transition from Utah to Wyoming and the bad weather that accompanied it.

June: Rocky Mountain Columbine in the Mt Zirkel Wilderness. While I had many other nice shots from June, I picked this one for the nostalgia of it. This was the first time I had ever seen this flower that is now my favorite in existence. I can't imagine how one could get pictures of this vibrant flower and not rank it as a great picture of the year.
Mt Zirkel-RMNP-56.jpg
July: Incoming Storm in The Tetons. What turned out to be maybe the worst outdoor experience I have ever had yielded another freak of timing picture. The contrast of the major parts of the picture: waterfalls, cloud, and barely visible mountain still amaze me.
Garnet Fail-23.jpg

August...was a hard month to decide on. A bunch of high alpine trips with mindblowing scenery made choosing very hard. Ultimately, while it wasn't my favorite of the trips, I decided this picture of Wilderness Basin in the Cloud Peak Wilderness was a better picture than the rest.
CPW-Wilderness Basin-9.jpg

September... again didn't have many pictures. I "fought a fire" for half the month and did a bunch of work that didn't allow me to carry around my camera. But I saw a lot of different country and on a rest day during the fire I caught this phone pic of giant Western Red Cedars in western Montana.
IMG_20150911_163358 (1).JPG

October: Fall colors in the desert. I didn't expect to find them and the few I saw were very picturesque.
LWH-GL-2.jpg

November: Another move and more adventures. My trip to Funnel Arch yielded a bunch of sweet pictures of which this one worked out the best to my eyes.
Funnel Arch+Sunset-12.jpg

December: One of the perks of winter is the early sunset. While I was always asleep by the time the sun was remotely down over the course of the summer, sunset in the winter has been occurring right as it's time to close the visitor center at Dead Horse Point, which has been all too fun. There have been many gorgeous sunsets out here, but I can not believe what this one did and that the camera actually caught it.
12-13 Sunset-1.jpg

So yeah, a bunch of fun photography this year. I can hardly wait to see what moment next year will yield to be captured!

I couldn't get out as much as I used to and especially could not hike this year, so I focused primarily on things I could easily reach within a short stroll or walk.

i-r8P2q8R-L.jpg

Death Valley, Eureka Dunes

i-m4zdzRk-L.jpg

Kona Coast, Hawai'i

i-NhtNNSX-L.jpg

Snow Canyon
i-RkbFb22-L.jpg

Natural Bridges

i-Z4xfxpB-L.jpg

Zion

i-wSDgszW-L.jpg

Mesa Arch Area Sunrise