Album Your favorite shots from 2015

Post them....lost spends more time on photos than most :)

amateur hour is officially underway... These pics represent some of my favorite moments in 2015, in chronological order.

A snowshoe up Giant Mountain in the ADK's on a bluebird January day.
1.jpg

A three day winter backpack on Assateague Island National Seashore, MD in February
2.jpg

Inspired by the ridiculous photographers on BCP, this was my first attempt at shooting at night. Just an overnight in Harriman State Park, NY right near home.. NYC light pollution in full effect.
4.jpg

My wife Tyne and dog Joey above what I call the NY countryside on Millbrook Mountain..
5.jpg

A sunrise during my 5 day paddling trip along the Northern Forest Canoe Trail
8.jpg

A sunset during my 5 day paddling trip along the Northern Forest Canoe Trail
9.jpg

My wife yelling "where the f*ck did the chains go!" at Angels Landing.
11.jpg

My wife looking tiny inside of the Zion Narrows
13.jpg

Seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time. A feeling I'll never forget.
18.jpg

Cape Royal on the North Rim
19.jpg

One of the laid back scenes from a few days backpacking Shenandoah National Park.
20.jpg

One of my favorite hiking moments this summer was hiking through the night to McAfee Knob, VA for the sunrise followed by a nap on the summit. It was a little overcast but there's nothing like napping under a pine tree with nowhere to be for the next few days.
22.jpg

I got a brutal ass kicking attempting the entire ADK Great Range in one shot. I took my bailout option the next morning and promptly googled directions for the nearest diner.
23.jpg

After going solo for most of the year it was fun times hiking the Tetons with 5 BCP'ers from 5 different states on a trip to the Tetons. This is where we got stuck for 3 days (Before shot)
25.jpg

Still here (After shot)
26.jpg

One of the most fun days of that trip was when @Joey packed me, @Ben and @Chuck the Mauler into the van for a road trip from GTNP to Yellowstone. You can see here, the weather down below was nice, but still sketchy up high.
27.jpg

Science doing it's thing in Yellowstone.
28.jpg

Back home in the ADK's for some foliage.
31.jpg

My wife on the same ADK trip, probably thinking about how much she hates backpacking food.
32.jpg

Chasing the foliage.. I found myself in Vermont the following weekend. This was taken at a spot called Libby's Look.
33.jpg

My last trip before the foliage disappeared. Walking the white quartz cliffs of the Shawangunks.
35.jpg

BCP really inspired me to try new places and new things this past year. Thanks guys! Looking forward to 2016!

amateur hour is officially underway... These pics represent some of my favorite moments in 2015, in chronological order.

View attachment 37079

A three day winter backpack on Assateague Island National Seashore, MD in February
View attachment 37080

Inspired by the ridiculous photographers on BCP, this was my first attempt at shooting at night. Just an overnight in Harriman State Park, NY right near home.. NYC light pollution in full effect.
View attachment 37081

My wife Tyne and dog Joey above what I call the NY countryside on Millbrook Mountain..
View attachment 37082

View attachment 37083

View attachment 37084

View attachment 37085

View attachment 37086

View attachment 37087

View attachment 37088

One of the laid back scenes from a few days backpacking Shenandoah National Park.
View attachment 37089

One of my favorite hiking moments this summer was hiking through the night to McAfee Knob, VA for the sunrise followed by a nap on the summit. It was a little overcast but there's nothing like napping under a pine tree with nowhere to be for the next few days.
View attachment 37090

I got a brutal ass kicking attempting the entire ADK Great Range in one shot. I took my bailout option the next morning and promptly googled directions for the nearest diner.
View attachment 37091

After going solo for most of the year it was fun times hiking the Tetons with 5 BCP'ers from 5 different states on a trip to the Tetons. This is where we got stuck for 3 days (Before shot)
View attachment 37092

Still here (After shot)
View attachment 37093

One of the most fun days of that trip was when @Joey packed me, @Ben and @Chuck the Mauler into the van for a road trip from GTNP to Yellowstone. You can see here, the weather down below was nice, but still sketchy up high.
View attachment 37094

View attachment 37095

View attachment 37096

My wife on the same ADK trip, probably thinking about how much she hates backpacking food.
View attachment 37097

Chasing the foliage.. I found myself in Vermont the following weekend. This was taken at a spot called Libby's Look.
View attachment 37098

My last trip before the foliage disappeared. Walking the white quartz cliffs of the Shawangunks.
View attachment 37099

BCP really inspired me to try new places and new things this past year. Thanks guys! Looking forward to 2016!

For an 'amateur' that ain't bad!!! Thanks for sharing

I'm no photographer like a whole lot of you on here, but my hike on the Fairyland Loop in January was one of the most photogenic I've ever been on. I'll probably come up with more later, but these come to mind now.DSC00762.JPG
DSC00764.JPG

I0000WTsOU_E2R4I.jpg

Dominguez Canyon, Co
My favorite camp spot is located about 30' above.

I0000nwZrNKU2muE.jpg

Robbers Roost, Ut
With Nick and Dan a few weeks ago, an amazing experience, solid rock as far as the eye can see.

I0000.fCx9AqbNCQ.jpg

Meander Canyon, Colorado River, Ut
This shot captures at least for me the time in a canyon when things start winding down, and the shadows get really deep, and all you can really feel is the river.

I0000ppfx6s0T4xA.jpg

Ruby-Horsethief, Colorado River, Ut
With Nick, Dan, and Jodi, when a train came by.

I0000HvrHR3X_0KQ.jpg

View from Cisco, Ut
From the off ramp of I-70. you rarely see Fisher Towers so well from here.

I0000L8M98Gh1Ox0.jpg

Meander Canyon, Ut

Last edited:
I'm no photographer like a whole lot of you on here, but my hike on the Fairyland Loop in January was one of the most photogenic I've ever been on. I'll probably come up with more later, but these come to mind now.View attachment 37101
View attachment 37102
It has been awhile......time to revisit the Fairyland Loop. The last time I did it I went "surely I have taken hundreds of pictures on this trail", then I took dozens more.

I0000WTsOU_E2R4I.jpg

Dominguez Canyon, Co
My favorite camp spot is located about 30' above.

I0000nwZrNKU2muE.jpg

Robbers Roost, Ut
With Nick and Dan a few weeks ago, an amazing experience, solid rock as far as the eye can see.

I0000.fCx9AqbNCQ.jpg

Meander Canyon, Colorado River, Ut
This shot captures at least for me the time in a canyon when things start winding down, and the shadows get really deep, and all you can really feel is the river.

I0000ppfx6s0T4xA.jpg

Ruby-Horsethief, Colorado River, Ut
With Nick, Dan, and Jodi, when a train came by.

I0000HvrHR3X_0KQ.jpg

View from Cisco, Ut
From the off ramp of I-70. you rarely see Fisher Towers so well from here.

I0000L8M98Gh1Ox0.jpg

Meander Canyon, Ut
The Meander Canyon shot is wonderful

Let me throw out my disclaimer. You do not have to bust you hump to get to my shots. I guess you could say I attempt to devour the front country. This is a photography thread and you all have been good to me, so here goes. In most ways this has been a tough year for me. But the upside of that is.....plenty of free time. So hang on to your hat. I started the year at the Red Cliffs Conservation Area north of St. George.
IMG_0043.JPGThen I went up the Red Mountain Trail north of St. George IMG_0088.JPGThen I spent the day at Valley of Fire in Nevada IMG_0220.JPGThe boys and I went to South Coyote Buttes. I like this picture because it captures the Grand Staircase. Red/White/Pink Cliffs IMG_0244.JPGI explored up Upper Scoggins Wash in Zion Nat'l Park as far as I could get. It took me a half hour to get past the little reflections. IMG_0455.JPGClimber in the South Fork of Taylor Creek-Kolob. The best bang for your buck in Zion NP IMG_0538.JPGAlways wanted to see Kolob Canyon-Zion with snow IMG_0644.JPG Then I began my exploration of the east canyons of Zion National Park. This has been on my to do list for 30 years.IMG_0719.JPGA cool shot from the Sand Bench Trail in Zion. "Nobody does the Sand Bench" IMG_0761.JPGI went as far back into this side canyon in Zion as I could get. IMG_0939.JPGSpent the day walking Clear Creek in Zion. Ridiculous way to spend the day. "The road is Right Up There." But it was wonderful IMG_0985.JPGNorth Fork of Taylor Creek in the Kolob of Zion. No trail but a fun scramble. I stood in front of this wall for quite awhile expressing "how f#$% orange is that" IMG_1154.JPGToroweap-The best view of the Grand Canyon. Quite the adventure to get to. IMG_1275.JPG Bear Claw Poppy. These are LITERALLY only found southwest of St. George, UT In the world. They grow out of ground that equates to crumbly concrete. IMG_1322.JPGI went up a side canyon of Zion they deem as Many Pools. I kept going up and up and once my back was to the wall I got this shot IMG_1373.JPGOh the Right Fork of North Creek in Zion. Long day hike but definitely worth the effort. No trail again...just following the creek. This shot is just below Barrier Falls. You can't get farther in than this. IMG_1682.JPGIt wouldn't be spring time in Zion without a cactus shot IMG_1757.JPGThe Parunuweap Section of Zion NP has always been out of reach until this year. This is a view down to the East Fork of the Virgin River, near the exit of Misery Canyon IMG_1833.JPGOver the years I have taken 8,300 pictures of Glacier National Park. I have to include 3 pictures from our June trip. The flowing water was incredible IMG_1973.JPG IMG_2028.JPG IMG_2192.JPGI could fill the entire thread with Buckskin Gulch photos. I got there with my youngest son Jeff. Sloshing thru calf deep muk. Great fun! IMG_2303.JPG Crawford Wash in the Parunuweap-Zion was as backcountry as I get. I was trekking across landscape that I know doesn't get much traffic.IMG_2346.JPGCedar Breaks Nat'l Monument. Jeff said after the first ten minutes. "Remind me why I came again!". In a 2 mile loop trail I took 100 pictures. Love those flower shotsIMG_2663.jpgVirgin River Narrows in Zion. THE BEST front country adventure in the National Park System. I saw the flowing picture and had to include it. IMG_2494.jpg IMG_2536.jpgFrom our August Glacier NP trip. View of Grinnell and Salamander Glaciers from the Glacier Overlook IMG_2801.jpg I August I spent the entire day, sunrise to sunset at the Grand Canyon.IMG_3278.jpgHave I conveyed how spectacular it is to live in St. George? This is north of town. I could suggest where it is at but I would have to kill you. IMG_3314.jpgGrand Canyon from the Cape Final Trail IMG_3427.jpgJeff and I tried to get to the peak of South Ariel Peak in Zion. All most! IMG_3465.jpgI here that fall is the climbing season in Zion. Those guys are nuts. IMG_3546.jpgLady Mountain in Zion. The sun rarely hits that slope so it was a bit of a thrill for me IMG_3609.jpg

Last edited:
I love this thread and look forward to seeing everyone's amazing shots at the end of the year. Unfortunately work has me slammed right now so I haven't been able to check everything out, but a quick scroll through shows many amazing shots.

Off the top of my head, here are some favorites:

Moonset over the Eastern Sierra
Moon over Valley Laura Zirino.jpg

Sunrise after a storm on the Eastern Sierra mountains:
Sunrise After the Storm NatGeo Laura Zirino.jpg

A very cold sunrise on the Owens River
1.4.15 Reflections on Owens River.jpg

This was the first photo trip of the year, and even though it was 16 degrees out, it was the gift that kept giving. The blue hour in the Owens Valley is like nothing I've ever seen. It looks violet. When I took this picture it was almost too dark for my camera to focus.
Blue Hour Dawn Closer.jpg
Kauai Rainbow and Na Pali Cliffs

9.5.15 Na Pali Rainbow Close Up.jpg

Aloha from Kauai. This shot has the sound of crashing waves in the background. If there's a place more relaxing than this, I don't know about it.
Plumerias and beer.jpg

The amazing Eastern Sierra in fall. I only had one full day to shoot here, but it was absolutely magical. 11 more months until fall.

10.14.15 McGee Creek Valley.jpg

Convict Lake, Eastern Sierra

10.14.15 Convict Lake Classic Sunrise.jpg

Convict Lake Abstract
10.14.15 Convict Lake Abstract NatGeo.jpg
I have to brag-I submitted this to National Geographic's 2015 photo contest, and it made the "Best Submissions" gallery!

Eastern Sierra Storm

10.15.15 Eastern Sierra Storm.jpg

I was driving with a friend in Kanab and saw this beautiful light. This might be my favorite shot because it was such a relaxing day, just hanging out with someone I don't get to see very often.
11.7.15 Tree Abstract.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 37079

View attachment 37080

View attachment 37081

View attachment 37082

View attachment 37083

View attachment 37084

View attachment 37085

View attachment 37086

View attachment 37087

View attachment 37088

View attachment 37089

View attachment 37090

View attachment 37091

View attachment 37092

Still here (After shot)
View attachment 37093

View attachment 37094

View attachment 37095

View attachment 37096

View attachment 37097

View attachment 37098

View attachment 37099

Those are awesome shots, nothing "amateurish" about them. Beautifully composed and even more important, very expressive. Looking forward to more from you in 2016.

Still some time left in the year for good shots! This one's from Saturday. Been playing with the panorama function in Lightroom a bit.

psp-wellhillpano-112815-XL.jpg

Those are awesome shots, nothing "amateurish" about them. Beautifully composed and even more important, very expressive. Looking forward to more from you in 2016.

Thanks Laura! That means a lot coming from you. You're one of the members here who inspired me to go buy a camera in the first place.