Album Wildlife

Backyard Snoozing
- I am fortunate to be the steward of a few acres of mountain terrain with wetlands in the Wasatch. The ecosystem is relatively intact and the moose population is thriving. All this with multiple subdivisions and traffic around including the mighty I80. This sweet girl showed up this morning outside of my window as I worked from home. She was sleeping on her feet as the sun warmed her up. Her yearling daughter was with her - I will post some more pics of the pair.

publishSmWr-1-2.jpg

Wild! Circumstances please. You really lucked out. Oh, I see that he/she has been at your workplace. Sweet.

Yes! So my foxy friend has been hanging out at the park for a while in all likelihood, but back in early December settled down to a den under one of our campsites. I guess the campground clearing out with the colder temps made it inviting. Ever since I can almost routinely find it basking in the sun on warmer afternoons.

Apparently, it is pretty common for kit foxes to stake out a den and become less mobile this time of year while they wait for their mate to arrive (I've found differing sources on whether it is the male or female that does this.) Kit Foxes are relatively monogamous, really only changing mates if one of the pair dies. Then around this time of year the two have met up at the den and mate to bring about babies in March/April.

The other day, I caught another fox at the den!!! (One easily seen left of center, the other is just right of center.)

IMG_20180122_135412.jpg

I'm a little worried about their den being directly under a campsite, but it will play out as it will play out.

Yes! So my foxy friend has been hanging out at the park for a while in all likelihood, but back in early December settled down to a den under one of our campsites. I guess the campground clearing out with the colder temps made it inviting. Ever since I can almost routinely find it basking in the sun on warmer afternoons.

Apparently, it is pretty common for kit foxes to stake out a den and become less mobile this time of year while they wait for their mate to arrive (I've found differing sources on whether it is the male or female that does this.) Kit Foxes are relatively monogamous, really only changing mates if one of the pair dies. Then around this time of year the two have met up at the den and mate to bring about babies in March/April.

The other day, I caught another fox at the den!!! (One easily seen left of center, the other is just right of center.)

View attachment 61331

I'm a little worried about their den being directly under a campsite, but it will play out as it will play out.
Thanks! We are counting on you to tell the story mister. It will be amazing! Can you take that site out of circulation? I should bring my long lens and wildlife cam down for you...

I wish I could take the campsite out of circulation so badly!!! Alas, it is a tight campground so the three other sites nearby are close enough that I don't think it would help even if we could close the one. That site is already booked solid from March 1st to May last I saw.

My biggest hope is that when the foxes do get displaced, nothing bad happens in the process. It would be a tragedy if death befell the family just because they thought a campground was the place to put a den.

My second biggest hope is that if baby kits do show up, they should not be near the campground. I don't want to see babies getting human food so soon in life. If they do hang around... I guess that is one more sign I will have to make.

Here is the child of that cow moose I posted yesterday. Can't tell from my encounter whether it was male or female but it is certainly a calf of the year - probably 9 months old or so. A squall came in and between the snow flakes and brush I couldn't capture a clear image but I still like this one all the same.

publishSmWr-1-3.jpg

Here is the child of that cow moose I posted yesterday. Can't tell from my encounter whether it was male or female but it is certainly a calf of the year - probably 9 months old or so. A squall came in and between the snow flakes and brush I couldn't capture a clear image but I still like this one all the same.

View attachment 61341

That's a darned beautiful picture

That's a darned beautiful picture
Thanks Scott. The picture is growing on me. At first I was upset that the calf was not in focus but the snow flakes and brush add a mystical character. And the creature grew on me a long time ago. Moose are a favorite here as well and I have been tempted to start a moose gallery here. We'll see how the raven gallery does.

Fast fact: I learned from recent research that sometimes cow moose DO have antlers. It is extremely rare and indicative of a hormone imbalance but it does happen.

View attachment 61341

I like it with the snow, it gives you an idea of what their life is like. I'd like to see mom and baby together if you can get them to pose for you :)

The snow and imperfections give this photo so much more life than if it were technically perfect.

View attachment 61341

Catch of the day
I had some fun with this Black Crowned Night Heron
Just wished I had my long 50-500mm lens with me that day

i-bWzwWBr-XL.jpg

i-w5sdVdf-XL.jpg

i-kmnwQRL-XL.jpg

Neato! I have never seen a sheep on Specimen Ridge with probably 6-8 visits. Farther north in the park yes. Was this in the north facing cliffs? Great shot.

This guy was hanging out with another dozen of sheep on Specimen Ridge about halfway to Agate Creek. I was just wandering all over the ridge that day when I came up over a small rise and found them all lounging about.DSC_1406.JPG DSC_1403.JPG