Album Wildlife

Another one from the archives, in early 2013. In 2011 the Missouri River flooded in a spectacular way. One of the side effects was that it formed a huge sandbar near some public land. The sandbar was large enough that large flocks of waterfowl overwintered there for a few years (the sandbar has since been basically washed away). The huge flocks of waterfowl attracted a lot of eagles, and there are still many nests in the area, and I think this big flock helped jump start the eagle population here. There were a few eagles before, but only a very few. Now, off the top of my head, I know of five nests, and I've found two new ones (to me at least) in the past few months.

The sound of such a large flock taking off is something completely unique.
DSC_9168-L.jpg

Not my best image ever, but it was very neat to watch these birds while they were around. It was surprisingly hard to get close to them.
Looks like a Rorschach test, or an M. C. Escher drawing.

Did a bit of driving and a couple short (2-3mi each) hikes this afternoon. Got a new super extra duper fancy pair of binoculars in last night, so I took the opportunity to look for lots of wildlife. I'm not sure if the binoculars have super powers, or it's from today being a warm(er) day in late winter just before a couple good snowstorms move through so all the animals are out feeding and are bunched up anyway because they always do that in late winter (confused about that sentence? So am I.) The list of wildlife spotted was impressive. Canada geese are moving in, and they are hanging on some seasonal sandbars in the area my previously posted pic was taken. Lots of hawks. Lots of what I think may be golden eagles. Several raccoons, including one that seemed to be in cahoots with a possum. Two coyotes (one very far away, the other obviously a big mangey). Three ringneck pheasants. As evening came, I started seeing deer, often in groups of 12-20. Right at sunset I cruised to an overlook at a state park where I often glass for game across the river and was surprised to see roughly 140 deer (counted twice, got about that both times) scattered on maybe 200 acres of corn and soybean fields. Biggest number of deer I've ever seen in one place. I *think* my total deer sighting for the day was around 225. They're really having to earn it this winter, we've had cold temps and lots of snow cover for the past couple months.

Cell pic through binoculars, part of the group of 140ish
20180221_182045-XL.jpg

Well that one turned into a bit of a micro trip report, but that's OK. Took very few pictures, most of the game was very far away. Should have brought my scope and phoneskope adapter.

During a recent dayhike in the Red River Gorge (KY) I passed many mud puddles filled with salamanders and tadpoles and eggs of some sort, don't know if they are frog or salamander eggs, but I like the photo, the tadpole was just dumb luck :)

Mar%2B03%2B2018_20.jpg

During a recent dayhike in the Red River Gorge (KY) I passed many mud puddles filled with salamanders and tadpoles and eggs of some sort, don't know if they are frog or salamander eggs, but I like the photo, the tadpole was just dumb luck :)

Mar%2B03%2B2018_20.jpg

Beautiful.

Had some fun at the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge on Sunday trying my hand at snapping some birds.

The Sandhill Cranes just barely have made it back into the area...

DSC02134.jpg

The pelicans were out in force. More than I have ever seen here before...

DSC01917.jpg

When they weren't in formation they would fly, single file, going up and and down like a roller coaster...

DSC01922.jpg
DSC01873.jpg
DSC01969.jpg

Something I had never seen before were the Tundra Swans. There were thousands of them, mostly out of reach. I managed a couple so-so shots...

DSC01884.jpg

I have to admit to having the most fun with the gulls. They were most cooperative...

DSC02084.jpg
DSC02083.jpg
DSC02063.jpg
DSC02004.jpg
DSC02008.jpg
DSC02060.jpg

Last edited:
Had some fun at the Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge on Sunday trying my hand at snapping some birds.

Something I had never seen before were the Tundra Swans. There were thousands of them, mostly out of reach. I managed a couple so-so shots...

View attachment 62721

View attachment 62727

When I was a kid, The Trumpet of the Swan was one of my favorite books. Whenever I see swans in the wild, I still stop and stare in wonder.
Tundra, not the same, but still... nice pics!

Out of all the animals in Yellowstone, I still think the Bison is the most impressive. I think it's mostly because of their size and strength. They seem so docile, yet you can tell just by looking at them that they are immensely powerful and rugged. Got to take these ultra up-close pictures of a huge male as he passed close by me on a backpack trip. I was actually flyfishing and he sauntered by me oblivious to me standing there.DSC_0757.JPG DSC_0762.JPG DSC_0753.JPG

Wow, that is amazing. I would hate to have my car parked anywhere near there.

LOL! Actually, there weren't very many other people or cars around, but it seemed to me that the geese were careful not to come within shotgun range of any people or cars. I don't think a car would be in any danger of getting white washed.