Album Wildlife

Wild ponies near Grayson Highlands State Park.

mt_rogers6.JPG

The way this young one has his legs spread makes me smile.
mt_rogers22.JPG

And where is Grayson, @wsp_scott ?

Very bottom of SW Virginia, there is the state park (Grayson Highlands) and it is surrounded by National Forest and the Mt Rogers National Recreation Area. Mt Rogers is the highest point in VA, but there are no views because of the trees.

those photos were a couple miles outside of the state park

Not all wildlife makes it, but their traces can be really neat. I found this nearly perfect canid skull the other day, just sitting in the wash. I have little idea what the differences in skulls are between species but the size suggests a fox or very young coyote.

--27.jpg --28.jpg

Let's see, a coyote skull has a very pronounced sagittal crest running along the top of the skull from the back of the eye sockets to the rear of the brain case. Look at any wolf, lion, or bear skull and this sagittal crest is very obvious as it runs along the top of the brain case.

For the gray fox, when viewed from above (as in the second photo), the temporal ridges form the rough shape of a "U". So if you turned the photo upside down, the 2 temporal ridges (off to either side from the very top of the skull) form a rough "U" shape.

Red foxes have similar temporal ridges but they are much closer together (forming a "V").

Hope that helps.

I need a longer lens... been doing more wildlife photography lately, and of course all you think of when doing that is "I need a longer lens."

Turkeys!

093017-4-L.jpg

Been doing a lot of "phone scoping" lately. It's a handy way of getting pics of far away animals without investing tons of time and a metric boatload of money in super-long lenses. Photo quality isn't as great, but if I wanted to spend a few more grand, I'd have already done it. As it is, a spotting scope with a phone held up to the eyepiece does a surprisingly fair job, especially out here in the open country of the plains.

Doe walking across a pasture about a month ago. Finally got around to cropping and uploading the image.

20170930_183157-01-XL.jpg

Been doing a lot of "phone scoping" lately. It's a handy way of getting pics of far away animals without investing tons of time and a metric boatload of money in super-long lenses. Photo quality isn't as great, but if I wanted to spend a few more grand, I'd have already done it. As it is, a spotting scope with a phone held up to the eyepiece does a surprisingly fair job, especially out here in the open country of the plains.

Doe walking across a pasture about a month ago. Finally got around to cropping and uploading the image.

I like your creativity.