Album Wildlife

industrious little fellow ... and he was pretty noisy as well.
PICT0821.JPG
Wild! Where did you take this KWC? Was the tree standing dead or alive?

I0000IPgUXRyLFRM.jpg

We were still asleep when we heard our son yell down to look out our bedroom window, and on the deck we saw this guy (or gal).
I have never seen one in the wild, we have seen their tracks. He was very relaxed, warming in the sun, we watched him for about 30 minutes. What a treat.

I0000DhOu20qoWy8.jpg

I0000ZjavAXFVMVc.jpg

I0000DQLZ5V542RM.jpg

I0000OuAoyLmD8oI.jpg

Last edited:
I0000IPgUXRyLFRM.jpg

We were still asleep when we heard our son yell down to look out our bedroom window, and on the deck we saw this guy (or gal).
I have never seen one in the wild, we have seen their tracks. He was very relaxed, warming in the sun, we watched him for about 30 minutes. What a treat.

I0000DhOu20qoWy8.jpg

I0000DhOu20qoWy8.jpg

I0000ZjavAXFVMVc.jpg

I0000DQLZ5V542RM.jpg

I0000OuAoyLmD8oI.jpg
You are a lucky man Greg. Great experience.

Thanks Art. Our son said the cat looked into his soul.
The only time I saw one up close and personal was one that was hit by the car in front of me in Big Cottonwood Canyon in the Wasatch. I got out and picked up the body and walked it off into the forest. Made me sad.
Lynx rufus. Look at it's range here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat. They may be elusive but they are successful.

This is interesting (from the article):
"The adult bobcat has few predators other than humans, although it may be killed in interspecific conflict. Cougars and gray wolves will kill adult bobcats, a behavior repeatedly observed in Yellowstone National Park.[51]Coyotes have killed adult bobcats and kittens.[52][53][54] There is at least one confirmed observation of a bobcat and an American black bear(Ursus americanus) fighting over a carcass.[55] Bobcat remains have occasionally been found in the resting sites of male fishers.[56]"

The only time I saw one up close and personal was one that was hit by the car in front of me in Big Cottonwood Canyon in the Wasatch. I got out and picked up the body and walked it off into the forest. Made me sad.
Lynx rufus. Look at it's range here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobcat. They may be elusive but they are successful.

This is interesting (from the article):
"The adult bobcat has few predators other than humans, although it may be killed in interspecific conflict. Cougars and gray wolves will kill adult bobcats, a behavior repeatedly observed in Yellowstone National Park.[51]Coyotes have killed adult bobcats and kittens.[52][53][54] There is at least one confirmed observation of a bobcat and an American black bear(Ursus americanus) fighting over a carcass.[55] Bobcat remains have occasionally been found in the resting sites of male fishers.[56]"

I've seen three of these over the last thirty years up City Creek. Two of the sightings might have been the same cat, both near the water treatment plant about halfway up the canyon. The other sighting was when I saw one heading up the road with a squirrel in its mouth as I was approaching heading down the canyon on my bicycle.

saw a Pileated Woodpecker in the Reynolds Creek fire burn area P1000507.JPG And saw some photogenic mountain goatsP1000619.JPG

A family of badgers running down the trail towards @Bob and I along Slough Creek in Yellowstone National Park. After they saw us, most of them ran the other way. But one little guy stuck around to take a longer look.

P1000138.JPG

P1000139.JPG

P1000140.JPG

A family of badgers running down the trail towards @Bob and I along Slough Creek in Yellowstone National Park. After they saw us, most of them ran the other way. But one little guy stuck around to take a longer look.

Believe it or not I've never seen a badger in the wild.

Believe it or not I've never seen a badger in the wild.
I have a half dozen times - and once in a parking lot at a river/trail takeout. The other times were in Wind River foothills and up high on open meadows at 10K'. Sometimes just sitting out in a miles-long meadow on top of boulder in daylight surveying their domain. They have little fear because of few predators and a fierce visage.

The last couple of times in the Lamar there have been crowds on the northwest side of the road at a den that was active and repeatedly active over several years. Instead of wolf watchers/junkes - Badger Junkies.

Last edited: