Album Wildlife

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Yellowstone 1, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Nick

Nick Post 'em if you got 'em!

WOW! Welcome back, Scott! I'm sure however you decide to post it, we will be very happy! Great stuff!

Artemus likes this.
  2. Artemus

Artemus I walk

3. SwimsWithTrout

SwimsWithTrout Member

A few recent shots of something a "little" different. At first I thought this was going to be impossible, but it's actually just slightly harder than my bat photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. slc_dan

slc_dan Desert Rat-Weekend Warrior

Oh man, @Artemus is going to love these. Odonata are one of his favorites.

Killer shots.

Artemus likes this.
  5. Absarokanaut

Absarokanaut Member

Wow.

6. Scott Chandler

Scott Chandler Wildness is a necessity- John Muir

One of the first experiences I had of a bear outside my house at Brooks Camp.
    6.16-17 Animals-8.jpg 6.16-17 Animals-10.jpg 6.16-17 Animals-12.jpg

WasatchWill, Joey, HomerJ and 9 others like this.
  7. Artemus

Artemus I walk

Odonata! I DO love it! Looks like this one is smiling :)

8. Artemus

Artemus I walk

9. Scott Chandler

Hehe that one in particular is a crowd favorite. This is bear 273 and her cub, who fans refer to as "Velcro". They were our camp bears, commonly pushing the bounds of where we wanted them. They also had a special pension for playing and napping in such a way as to grind the whole Brooks Camp operation to a halt. There are videos on Youtube of these two playing for hours by the bridge.

7.23 Bears-13.jpg 7.23 Bears-11.jpg Sept BC-54.jpg Sept BC-58.jpg 9.16 Work Bears-72.jpg

WasatchWill, gnwatts, Joey and 10 others like this.
  10. chandlerwest

chandlerwest Member

To share the experience with Scott I became what I hope was a passive bear webcam viewer. You try not to infer human emotions on these wild creatures but when you see their behavoir daily it is really really hard. The Love 273 and Velcro displayed for each other was undeniable. (Surely it wasn't something as mundane and cold as a mom training her cub to survive.)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    danger02ward and Artemus like this.
  11. SwimsWithTrout

SwimsWithTrout Member

If you're not too picky on seeing in flight dragons, I had a bumper crop this year for static shots using the macro lens for the less skittish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

WasatchWill, gnwatts, Joey and 10 others like this.
  12. Artemus

Artemus I walk

Bluet Damselflies. Nice! Thanks.

13. Brendan S

Brendan S Member

14. Scott Chandler

One of my favorite things to talk about as a ranger is how without the small processes we don't actively think of the bigger things we value in natural areas wouldn't exist.

Like how the ancient instinct of salmon returning to the waters that their ancestors were born in to spawn, dying in the process, fuels the entire Katmai ecosystem. Salmon are truly as amazing as bears.

7.10 Bears-1.jpg
    Bristol Bay has the most prolific and healthy natural salmon run in North America. Maybe the world, I didn't claim that when I talked about salmon. We're talking millions of Sockeye Salmon, one of five species. It is estimated that 280,000 sockeye salmon entered the Brooks River system this year.
    7.13 Bears-61.jpg 7.13 Bears-66.jpg 7.13 Bears-68.jpg 7.23 Bears-34.jpg
    Salmon are born in fresh water, migrate to the ocean to grow for a couple years and return to the stream beds they were born in to spawn. They cannot adapt their bodies to handle fresh water after the salt water though, and thus survive off their own bodies throughout the spawn process, eventually dying when they can't take digest any more of themselves. Sockeye salmon turn red because they absorb their scales and you can see their flesh underneath.
    8.3 Margot Cr-14.jpg 8.3 Margot Cr-30.jpg 8.3 Margot Cr-31.jpg
    Salmon nutrients entering the ecosystem fuel the large growth of "coastal" brown bears compared to "grizzlies," are a major part of other predatory animals and are even found in trees near streams.
    Margot 8.28-9.jpg Margot 8.28-10.jpg Margot 8.28-19.jpg

Artemus, Joey, wsp_scott and 2 others like this.
  15. Scott Chandler

Some favorites from the past couple weeks in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument

Lesser Goldfinches drinking at Quitobaquito Spring
    NPB-Quito-Senita-50.jpg

A Black Phobe. I've seen Say's before, but never a Black
    NPB-Quito-Senita-55.jpg

Gila Woodpecker.
    NPB-Quito-Senita-71.jpg

A Greater Roadrunner that amazingly didn't dart into oblivion before I got my camera out.
    NPB-Quito-Senita-79.jpg

A Coyote that I believe is hopping the border to eat trash.
    NPB-Quito-Senita-82.jpg

What was once a Red Tailed Hawk
    Bull Pasture-Estes-47.jpg

And maybe the most amazing thing here: MEXICAN LEAF CUTTER ANTS!
    12.9-36.jpg 12.9-33.jpg 12.9-30.jpg

16. Artemus

Artemus I walk

Well said! And well filmed! You should be an educator of the uninformed public. Wait, you are!

Are you teaching them about the stars and the value of a real and dark sky in this new gig?

Jeffrey Chandler likes this.
  17. Artemus

Artemus I walk

Great Scott, making me look forward to my trip to your latitude this holiday. No snakes yet?

Are the pass-through migraters still there? We are walking Madeira canyon next Monday if you want to join us. World class birding, I hear.

18. Scott Chandler

No snakes yet. Not much reptile life at all, couple quick lizards. It's not really the season right now.

Not as many migraters as I expected. I saw a large group of black colored birds today that I didn't know but aside from that it's mostly been resident species. A kestrel was a cool sight, saw it from above. Alas I was too slow with the camera.

Yep, night skying down here. I get to acquaint with my telescopes over the next couple evenings :)

Artemus likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Post 'em if you got 'em!

A bobcat fishing in Olympic National park. Wild!

20. kimbur96

kimbur96 Member

IMG_5565.jpg IMG_5590.jpg
    IMG_5556.jpg
    Herds of elk at RMNP. I only have a 18-55 lens for my hand me down T1i rebel. Would have loved to have a bigger lens to get some close ups. Still it was amazing to see herds of elk.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016