Album Wildflowers

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

SteveR

Are these Mountain Avens? or something else? I realized this weekend after seeing a million of them, I was not really sure what they were.
I know them as Marsh Marigolds. For sure they are not Mountain Avens, which are seen below from last Friday's hike across Jumpingpound Ridge, Alberta.
Note the difference in leaves, and habitat- Avens goes for dry stony ground whereas the Marigold likes damper conditions.
Not that I am any kind of authority on wildflowers, but I often hike with a couple of botanist friends who are, and have been gradually learning by osmosis.
P1190350-copy-2.jpg

I'll toss in another image from Friday. The flowers were at their peak in that location, a spot where they come early, and are gone before too long.
Further into the Alberta Rockies- peak wildflower is typically mid July-early August.
_1190373 copy-2.jpg

Ugly

Life really is better Here
I know them as Marsh Marigolds. For sure they are not Mountain Avens, which are seen below from last Friday's hike across Jumpingpound Ridge, Alberta.
Note the difference in leaves, and habitat- Avens goes for dry stony ground whereas the Marigold likes damper conditions.
Not that I am any kind of authority on wildflowers, but I often hike with a couple of botanist friends who are, and have been gradually learning by osmosis.
Ah, perfect. It was definitely marshy. I only see them real early. I will look up marsh marigolds.