What's Cooking?

And if three bowls aren't enough. :D @TractorDoc, we may need to take a container full of this
soup on our trip in August. It will be just the right thing to get us up and over Majo Pass! We can
add it to your load. I hope you've been practicing the counterbalance method this past week. :)
Do you think we can freeze dry it? If so I'll put it thru the machine.

No counterbalancing this weekend, but I did move several heavy Home Depot shelving units by myself today. Since then I've been basking in the glory of your fabulous evening. ;)

Congratulations on the tent! I see it is a "Tetragon 7." I hear that model if far superior to the Hexagon 6. :)

The question might be would @TractorDoc smell them back in Ohio
What am I supposed to smell? A circus peanut, or the circus peanut eater? :thinking:

Check with the sheepherders to see if they have the ability to rescue a plus one after you and Bob. Or maybe just me. That may be a necessity if I was to tag along.

Do you think we can freeze dry it? If so I'll put it thru the machine.

No counterbalancing this weekend, but I did move several heavy Home Depot shelving units by myself today. Since then I've been basking in the glory of your fabulous evening. ;)

Congratulations on the tent! I see it is a "Tetragon 7." I hear that model if far superior to the Hexagon 6. :)

What am I supposed to smell? A circus peanut, or the circus peanut eater? :thinking:

Check with the sheepherders to see if they have the ability to rescue a plus one after you and Bob. Or maybe just me. That may be a necessity if I was to tag along.

But WAY inferior to the historic Pentagon Hendecagon of military vintage.

I think the tent box said that it was bear proof. That's got to be worth something. :D

No new trend on the paper sleeping bags ..... Used them in the late 70s on wildland fires

Yeah, it's time to put on the chef hat again. Tonight's meal was a one-pot pasta fagioli.

I'm one of those who consider the month of March the beginning of spring, so this will be my last dish of winter.

Chop up one sweet onion and mince two cloves of garlic
01.jpg

Chop up one medium carrot
02.jpg

And two stalks of celery
03.jpg

Cook all veggies in Dutch oven with 2 Tbs. of olive oil and 1 tsp. of sage for 15 minutes
04.jpg

Add 1 can of diced tomatoes and three cups of chicken broth and bring to a boil over medium heat
05.jpg
06.jpg

Add 1 can of cannellini beans (drained) and 1 cup of ditalini pasta - I used whole wheat pasta. Let if cook covered for 12 minutes.
08.jpg

Final results.
09.jpg

Add shredded parmesan to top of your bowl and enjoy.
10.jpg

March is start of spring? Not here, 5 inches snow today, 3 months till spring

Winter outdoor cooking.
Bulgogi and Pepper Cheesesteaks.

Gotta coax all the BTUs possible when it's 34d in the sun.
Marinate it overnight. Stir fry it all together
IMG_3808.jpg

add some pickled carrots, and eat it before it gets too cold.
IMG_3809.jpg

Spring's first Dutch oven dish from the Scat home. This recipe is black bean chili. The original recipe calls for making it in a pressure cooker, but I chose to use my Dutch oven instead. Surprise, surprise. :)

Since I chose not to use the pressure cooker, that means I had to soak a pound of black beans overnight.

Sorry, I forgot to get a shot just after I dumped the beans into the water the night before. This shot is from today.
01.jpg

I started out cooking a white onion in 1 Tbs. of olive oil first.

02.jpg

Then I added six minced cloves of garlic and cooked for an additional 1 minute

03.jpg

You then add all the ingredients to the Dutch oven

04.jpg

This includes 8 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 16 oz. jar of salsa verde (I chose mild, but you could use medium heat)
- 14.5 oz. can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 12 oz.jar of roasted red peppers - sliced and chopped
- 1 Tbs. of ground Cumin
- 2 Tbs. of chili powder (the redipe actually calls for chipotles chili powder, but I couldn't find it at my store, so I used regular along with three chipotle peppers in adobo sauce instead, finally using @SteveR recommendation from last winter.) Excellent choice.
- 1 pound of black beans
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper

broth + chili verde + fire roasted tomatoes have been added
07.jpg

Don't forget to rinse off the soaked black beans
08.jpg

Everything added
09.jpg

Brought to a simmer of medium heat
10.jpg

I then cooked it for 2 hours. Next time though, I'll be cooking it for 2 hours and 15 minutes just to soften up the beans a touch more

Final product after two hours
11.jpg

I then garnished with chopped red onions and freshly slice jalapeños
12.jpg

And then added some graded cheese to top everything off.
13.jpg

Instead of onions and jalapeños, my wife chopped up an avocado to top her bowl off.
14.jpg

This dish turned out really good, and the above recipe makes four hearty bowls of chili.

Spring? You're a little early

It's going to be an unseaonably cool of xc skiing tomorrow, but it won't seem so bad now I know what we'll cooking for dinner. Chili!
We like pinto beans in ours- soaked overnight then simmered gently for about 1.5 hours with the rest of the ingredients so that they maintain a bit of firmness.
Our favorite topping mix is diced avocados, overlaid with a handful of tortilla chips, then a sprinkling of grated sharp cheddar cheese, garnished with chopped cilantro. I'm hungry already!

It's going to be an unseaonably cool of xc skiing tomorrow, but it won't seem so bad now I know what we'll cooking for dinner. Chili!
We like pinto beans in ours- soaked overnight then simmered gently for about 1.5 hours with the rest of the ingredients so that they maintain a bit of firmness.
Our favorite topping mix is diced avocados, overlaid with a handful of tortilla chips, then a sprinkling of grated sharp cheddar cheese, garnished with chopped cilantro. I'm hungry already!

That sounds good. You're making me hungry too. :)