What's Cooking?

That does sound good and look good.

I had Greek takeout yesterday.
The Greek food was great, the result of the match... not great.
View attachment 115168

Today though. Maple and Chile glazed, smoked Turkey, with a 3 Chile-Cranberry sauce.
A week late for some, and a month early for others, but we had this turkey for too long in the freezer.
Almost done.
View attachment 115316

That turkey looks good. :thumbsup:

Well, if you know it's Sunday, then you know that something is cooking in the Scatman household. And if I am in charge of the cooking, then it's going to be something whipped up in the stovetop Dutch oven.

Tonight's meal was a cowboy goulash.

Brown 1 pound of ground beef (I used ground bison instead)
33.jpg

Add 1 large onion and cook for another 5 minutes
34.jpg

Add -
1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
1 tablespoon of Red River Ranch Original Seasoning
3 cloves of garlic, minced
15 ounce can of stewed tomatoes
14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
6 ounce can of tomato paste
10 ounce can of Rotel dice tomatoes and green chilis (I used Rotel with habaneros)
1/2 cup of water
1 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 bay leaves
1 4 ounce can of diced green chilies, or jalapeños

Add above ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.
35.jpg

Add 2 cups of elbow macaroni (I used whole grain)

Stir and simmer for an additional 20 minutes
36.jpg
37.jpg

Finished product
38.jpg

I had some orange cranberry bread with mine.
39.jpg

This recipe has quite a bite to it if you use habaneros, so if you don't like that much heat, use jalapenos instead, or if you prefer no heat, then just use the can of mild green chilis and enjoy.

If buffalo are really bison, what is beefalo made from?

A bisow of course. :D Of course, after face planting and getting kicked so much on the Bog Creek adventure, I could be wrong due to everything being a bit fuzzy at this point.

Last edited:
No recipe needed, but I found a strip steak in the freezer. So last night dinner was a nice butter steak, green beans, shitake and carrots.
I am also not a food stylist... :lol:
IMG_2850.jpg

IMG_2852.jpg

All my favorite colors...

That looks delicious @Ugly. I'm settling for some comfort food tonight. I've got shin splints, and they are driving me crazy. So it looks like I'll be resting and icing up a bit for a while. My comfort food tonight is a homemade macaroni and cheese, with bacon and jalapenos.

01.jpg
Turning in the cast iron dutch oven for the skillet tonight. Fry up 8 -10 strips of bacon. I used 8 this time

02.jpg
Make a white sauce - 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1 and 1/2 cups of milk, and 2 tbsp. of flour (I used whole wheat)

03.jpg
Add some mild green chilis (small can)

04.jpg
Add some jalapenos - usually 20 to 25 slices, fresh will work too

05.jpg
My supervisor for the evening. :)

06.jpg
Add 16 oz of grated extra sharp chedar cheese

07.jpg
Tear bacon into small pieces and add to cheese sauce. I usually use ham, but occasionally I'll be bad and use bacon instead.

08.jpg
In large mixing bowl, add the 2 and 1/2 cups of cooked macaroni (I used whole wheat elbow macaroni)

09.jpg
Add some fried onions to the top and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees

10.jpg
Remove from oven and enjoy.

11.jpg
This should get me through the cold snowy day ahead tomorrow. :)

Did jaguars rip your shins? The wind slammed my thumb in my car door today. Your concoction looks delicious, and I could use some comfort food, but jalapeños are the opposite of comfort food for me—or do the jalapeños take your mind off the pain?

Not being able to cook, I had to resort to my fallback comfort food (bought at REI, so it must be healthy, even though I now feel kind of sick):

IMG-1955.jpg

Last edited:
Did jaguars rip your shins? The wind slammed my thumb in my car door today. Your concoction looks delicious, and I could use some comfort food, but jalapeños are the opposite of comfort food for me—or do the jalapeños take your mind off the pain?

Not being able to cook, I had to resort to my fallback comfort food (bought at REI, so it must be healthy, even though I now feel kind of sick):

View attachment 116405

That would be the honorable way to have shin pain Skipper. :) Did you see the jaguar supervising me?

You don't have to put the jalapenos in if you don't want to. My dad used to grow all kinds of peppers in his garden, and he would give me little pieces when I was a kid, so I've grown used to them and put them in a lot of the recipes I make. Have you tried the Carolina Reaper Blue Diamond Almonds? They have a good kick to them. :hot:

So what flavors are in the X-mas mix? Peppermint? Eggnog? Other?

I saw you were reading the book Jaguars Ripped my Flash, so thought maybe you were practicing for when one adopts you.

I've tried to eat hot stuff, but I always wimp out. Guess you have to be born to it, like you were.

As for the Jelly Belly flavors, it's hard to distinguish one from another when you eat them by the handful. :)

Tonight's meal was a Dutch oven pot roast. It's the first time I've made this recipe.

2 and 1/2 cups of beef broth
1 stick of butter (I used half a stick)

48.jpg
Heat broth to melt the butter

- 1/3 cup of rub (your choice, I used a cowboy rub), and some smoked paprika

49.jpg
rub it in in a mixing bowl

- 1 medium white or yellow onion (I used one of both) cut into fourths (rings)
- place rings on bottom of Dutch oven
- place the pot roast on the onions in the Dutch oven
- bake in oven at 300 degrees for 1 hour
- 6 - 8 medium red potatoes, quartered (I used 8)
- 1 pound of baby carrots
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 package of baby bella mushrooms (the recipe doesn't call for these, but I like mushrooms) :)

50.jpg

- after one hour, add the potatoes, carrots, garlic and mushrooms to the Dutch oven

51.jpg
52.jpg
Should cover the roast

- bake for an additional 2.5 hours (my roast was 2.3 pounds, if yours is larger, then 1 hour for each pound)

53.jpg
Finished product

54.jpg
Served with green beans.

Alright, this meal is a high caloric one, so hopefully you've been out hiking all day, or at least will be the morning after you eat this one. :)

Homemade chicken and dumplings was on the menu tonight.

01.jpg
- Slice three carrots and two celery stalks - then set aside

02.jpg
- Two chicken breasts and four thighs - I took the skin off all the thighs except for one.

03.jpg
- Cover the pieces of chicken generously with water
- Add 2 tsps. of salt and 2 tsps. of garlic powder
- cook for 20 minutes

03b.jpg
- Remove chicken from the stockpot and let cool
- Once cooled, shred the chicken

04.jpg
- Keep six cups of the chicken broth you just made
- Add 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 tsp. of black pepper
- The recipe calls for six cups of heavy cream (I used four cups of heavy cream and two cups of half-n-half)
- Add the carrots and celery that you sliced up
- Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes

04b.jpg
- After 10 minutes, add the shredded chicken back to the pot and cook covered for an additional 30 minutes, stirring occasionally

05.jpg
- Now it is time to make the dumplings
- 3 cups of flour (I used whole wheat)
- 3 tbsps. of sugar
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp. of baking powder
- 1/2 stick of butter (softened)
- 1 large egg
- 1 and 1/4 cup of buttermilk
-1 tsp of white vinegar

Cut small chunks of butter, and place in the flour, then mix in a mixing bowl. Should be chunks of butter left in the mix

In a small bowl combine the egg, buttermilk and vinegar. Stir into the flour mixture until combined.

06.jpg
On a generously floured surface, knead the dough about 15 times

07.jpg
- Pinch off bite sized pieces of dough and place in the stockpot - with whole wheat pieces, they tend to look like meatballs. :)
- Cook an additional 8 minutes
- While cooking, mix up 1/3 cup of corn starch with 1 cup of cold water
- After the 8 minutes is up, add the cornstarch mixture to the soup and stir to thicken it up.
- Cook an additional five minutes

08.jpg
The final product

09.jpg
Serve and enjoy.

Well, out with the stockpot and back in with the Dutch oven for some cowboy tuna noodle casserole. I might add that this morning I had some homemade buckwheat pancakes. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Nothing will get you through a cold day like some buckwheat flapjacks.

Okay, on to the casserole:

01.jpg03.jpg
- Melt 2 tbs. of butter in your handy old Dutch oven over medium heat
- Cook 12 oz. of egg noodles according to the package. I used whole wheat egg noodles
06.jpg
- Chop up one white onion and add it to the melted butter and cook for five minutes
04.jpg
05.jpg
- Add four tbs. of all purpose flour (I used whole wheat flour)
- Add 4 cloves of minced garlic and let cook for an additional minute
08.jpg
- Add 2 cups of chicken broth
- Add one cup of heavy cream and cook from three minutes, stirring frequently
-Add one cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and one cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese
-Add four 6 oz. cans of white albacore tuna (drained)
09.jpg
- Add the cooked noodles to the Dutch oven and stir till well mixed
- In a bowl, mix 1 and 1/2 cups of Ritz cracker crumbs, 2 tbs. of olive oil, and half a cup of graded parmesan cheese together
11.jpg
- Sprinkle the cracker mixture evenly over the casserole
12.jpg
- Place in a 400 degree oven for 20 minutes (I baked it for 22)
13.jpg
- Remove from oven and enjoy.
14.jpgThe finished product

15.jpg
- Enjoyed some sour dough bread with mine.