What's Cooking?

Have you tried the Carolina Reaper Blue Diamond Almonds? They have a good kick to them. :hot:
Those things are awesome. I was doing some consulting for a company that worked with Blue Diamond and they had a bunch of the almonds as samples. The Carolina Reaper were the most divisive. The most universally liked were the Habanero BBQ.

Snowy here in SLC. I shoveled three times yesterday, and once this morning. It is the wet heavy stuff, not the light, fluffy, ski friendly type. :(

IMG_2102.JPG

Anyway, after shoveling this morning, it was time to make some more buckwheat pancakes which you've seen here before. @kwc was supposed to bring me some pure maple syrup from New England ways this past September, but alas he must have hoarded it for his breakfasts on Straight Creek. :D Well, nothing like a stack of buckwheat pancakes to get you through a snowy couple of days.

IMG_2092.JPG
Cast iron skillet is a must.

IMG_2093.JPG
Buckwheat pancake mix - 1 cup

IMG_2094.JPG
1 tbs. of vegetable oil, and 1 egg

IMG_2095.JPG
Add 3/4 cup of water and mix

IMG_2097.JPG
IMG_2098.JPG
Dole them out 1/4 cup at time until all the flapjacks are done

IMG_2099.JPG
Butter them up to your liking

IMG_2100.JPG
Pour as much syrup as you like and enjoy.

I had forgotten all about the maple syrup! We ended up trading it for some real Alaskan honey. If you’re planning another September adventure for this year and I can make it, then I’ll bring you some of both.

Tonight I combined two recipes for Loaded Potato Soup. This is the first time that I have made this.

18.jpg
Cut up five pounds of red potatoes - the recipe called for Russet, Idaho or Yukon, but I love red potatoes, so I went with them
instead

19.jpg
Bring to a boil in a stock pot and cook for 15 minutes until tender

20.jpg
1 Tbs. of olive oil and 1/2 stick of butter - the recipe called for 2 sticks of butter, but I cut back the butter and substituted olive oil

22.jpg23.jpg
While potatoes are cooking, chop up some green onions for later

21.jpg
Chop up one yellow onion and mince 2 cloves of garlic

24.jpg
Cook the onions for 5 minutes then add the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute

25.jpg
Add 2 and 1/2 cups of whole milk, 1/4 cup of flour, and 2 and 1/2 cups of chicken broth - I used 2 cups of whole milk, 1/2 cup of
skim milk, and whole wheat flour

27.jpg
Add the potatoes, then add 3/4 cup of sour cream, and 1 cup of sharp cheddar cheese - I used low fat sour cream, and the recipe
called for mild cheddar

28.jpg
29.jpg
Stir in one package of bacon crumbles and one package of cubed ham and bring back to a boil

30.jpg
Once it begins to boil, turn off the heat. The image above is the final product.

32.jpg
Dish out into a bowl

33.jpg
Garnish with the previously cutup green onions and enjoy. :thumbsup:

This recipe makes a lot of soup - seven or eight hearty bowls, great for a winter's night meal.

It turned out excellent, and I'll be adding this to my rotation.

This is basically what I eat in the backcountry most nights. :lol: My potatoes come in flake form - yours look more appetizing. Same bacon though. ;)

One of the recipes called for the crumble while the other wanted you to fry up some bacon in the Dutch oven. I'm afraid I chose the lazy route tonight and went with the crumbles.

Looks like this would also work for a clam chowder, substituting clams for the cubed ham.