What's Cooking?

What about days 1 and 3?

Day one is just a 4.2 mile hike into Wrangler Lake. It's almost child's play. :) Of course, I may need a giddy-up in my step if I am going to beat @TractorDoc to the prime tent site at the lake. I'm coming up with quite the elaborate plan to get rocks into his pack to slow him down to just below Scatman speed.

Day three is a 5.7 mile trek to Wapiti Lake, of which about half of that is off-trail. I think I could crawl that distance if necessary. :) After day two, the others just might be beating me with sticks for taking them through the shite. :scatman:

Last edited:
That would mean that I'd have to take my six pound cast iron skillet to cook them on, which would put me way behind on our daily routes. :)
That's ok.... I'd help eat the flapjacks and syrup.... Then it will weigh less

You cook up a big batch at home, wrap them in cheesecloth or such, then warm them back up at camp on a stick over a fire. No need for a skillet. I used that method when I hiked the Highline in Glacier to Waterton. It worked great, except bears kept following me, but that was because I didn't tighten the lid on the syrup very well.

You cook up a big batch at home, wrap them in cheesecloth or such, then warm them back up at camp on a stick over a fire. No need for a skillet. I used that method when I hiked the Highline in Glacier to Waterton. It worked great, except bears kept following me, but that was because I didn't tighten the lid on the syrup very well.

I'm afraid the cakes would disintegrate in my pack. :(

Here's what the final results looked like since I didn't take a shot of the chicken or mac-n-cheese in the ovens with their lids off. Presented by a future Grizzly Lake backpacker. :)

05.jpg

89.2 degrees in my house right now - 103 outside. I grilled up some burgers for Labor Day.

Burger, baked beans, some jalapeno ranch potato chips, and a Pfeifferhorn lager to wash it all down. The lager was a gift to me after summitting the Pfeifferhorn back in July. It took me awhile to get to it. :)
IMG_0080_75.JPG

Well, it's fall which means it's time for soups and stews once again, even though the temps are still in the mid to upper seventies here in Salt Lake. So for dinner tonight, I made a pepper soup, which turned out quite nice I think.

- 1 pound of ground pork
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into about 1/2 an inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into about 1/2 an inch pieces
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into about 1/2 an inch pieces
- 1 small yellow onion (the recipe didn't call for one, but I added one anyway)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can Ro-tel tomatoes
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 (6oz.) box of Uncle Ben's long grain wild rice, with seasoning packet
- 48 oz. of beef broth (I used reduced sodium)

Brown the pork, then add the peppers and onion and cook an additional five minutes
Add everything else and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

00.jpg

Served with some jalapeño cheese bread
000.jpg

Looks like the reading material is taking over you table..........

Well, it's fall which means it's time for soups and stews once again, even though the temps are still in the mid to upper seventies here in Salt Lake. So for dinner tonight, I made a pepper soup, which turned out quite nice I think.

That does sound good and look good.

I had Greek takeout yesterday.
The Greek food was great, the result of the match... not great.
IMG_2779.jpg

Today though. Maple and Chile glazed, smoked Turkey, with a 3 Chile-Cranberry sauce.
A week late for some, and a month early for others, but we had this turkey for too long in the freezer.
Almost done.
IMG_2781 (1).jpg