Album Up Close and Personal -- Photos Focused on the Details

Living Sandstone...

(Canyon wall in Capitol Gorge, Capitol Reef NP)

mjhd4idczgidSGFN3gHHHgTuQBxnfSX8qoMQ8KmMMO6JGt7R-7pD3kdA5QYrfEFO7MnkYbVTHi_nh3saSoqBUp8pil2HliUwMrZAMZEcxFe2RSih3CHn6zGv0YcSjYpZw_kSGxFARE-lO6pj9iqixRJ52JjYxClJP1WmwxNKcMIW36FOVYPPW9_yn9EmFU5UjqY3x4004_t_GJugYS6kt5qCK0TkSNCJF-AdeZkmUZiXUpDe1sqXlWag7xKldYTq8LlM6bNHkh5jieYAK_g6N8S9_JVkUGr2h9R5sgxvwsTVxSrWhhTh5mFUJeQiVQCoE524WDka75x2r-DWKze0sSb0WNfmZVRZfoBTwZsYV3ieaJViF4IH6cObo5OBrJDDzaEu5lX_YzenI3yyk6rJsY1py-Za4Sw2mp4Qzin1jb6zmL0wJSBMu6XzpWSKDA8W8oTsXtGpMK1NoLAM_26u26TFJNKqKENJpOWVIbZkPAx2AuTURZeuY2WCOOvjnDHXJe4u0HwXuXJF9YEHdj7LW5u2DMWk0SFdCLgQ0Xl_uldMpnjCIK0nf8XZUZ1z25EOz7NBA6n6wBZOv8DNHzjtoQf_ZHSAESN1dW5-IsABBYf_C1MzSzXIA5r2GVd-mARL=w1392-h1044-no

Okay,
I had reservations about posting these. . . but doing so ultimately won out.

IF YOU DO NOT LIKE SPIDERS LOOK AWAY NOW AND DON"T SCROLL DOWN!! :oops: :cry::frantic:

Noticed this guy out in the yard and thought his/her color pattern was interesting. Check out those eyes!

5J5A3246.JPG

5J5A3247.JPG

Sorry if I made anyone scream. :)

Opposite of the burning bush...
f0eaafc7610901b32086aeccfcdce128.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
He.... funny! It could be “ice on the burning bush”, but its not. Branches are too thin. But Im sure Rick could quickly create that photograph once we return to the frosty East coast. We usually get an ice storm like that, which can take the power out for days.

Some ice formations on the underside of a log along the Missouri River

121018-22-L.jpg

Patterns in the sand as water weeps out of the riverbank.

121018-13-L.jpg

Last edited:
I've been photographing snowflakes this winter. I've posted some snowflakes in the snow album but it seems like this might be a better place for them. Here's some of the latest.
View attachment 74139

View attachment 74134

View attachment 74136

View attachment 74137

View attachment 74138

View attachment 74135
Spectacular!!! Are you familiar with "Snowflake Bentley" who photographed snowflakes in Vermont in the late 1800s and early 1900s? There's a children's book about him that you might enjoy if you're not familiar with him yet: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0547248296/?tag=backcountrypo-20) Please post more of these photos - I love them!

Spectacular!!! Are you familiar with "Snowflake Bentley" who photographed snowflakes in Vermont in the late 1800s and early 1900s? There's a children's book about him that you might enjoy if you're not familiar with him yet: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0547248296/?tag=backcountrypo-20) Please post more of these photos - I love them!

Thanks! I have heard of Snowflake Bentley. I'm pretty amazed by what he accomplished. I've been experimenting with this for a couple years and it's taken me till now to figure out something that works. Getting decent image quality was tough. Right now I'm using a microscope lens on an adapter on a telephoto zoom lens. Depth of field is razor thin. All of these pictures are composites of 10 to 30 photos taken in order to get a photo with every part of the snowflake in focus. Wilson Bentley would not have had that luxury. All of his photos would have had to be a single shot. It's hard to figure out how he got decent image quality with the whole flake in focus with a single shot.... and that was more than 100 years ago! Even with all of the advancements in technology its really really tough to get a photo with decent image quality with the whole flake in focus in a single shot. My hat (and probably everyone else that's ever tried to do it) is off to him.