Album Up Close and Personal -- Photos Focused on the Details

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Trip Reports
Thanks! I have heard of Snowflake Bentley. I'm pretty amazed by what he accomplished. I've been experimenting with this for a couple years and it's taken me till now to figure out something that works. Getting decent image quality was tough. Right now I'm using a microscope lens on an adapter on a telephoto zoom lens. Depth of field is razor thin. All of these pictures are composites of 10 to 30 photos taken in order to get a photo with every part of the snowflake in focus. Wilson Bentley would not have had that luxury. All of his photos would have had to be a single shot. It's hard to figure out how he got decent image quality with the whole flake in focus with a single shot.... and that was more than 100 years ago! Even with all of the advancements in technology its really really tough to get a photo with decent image quality with the whole flake in focus in a single shot. My hat (and probably everyone else that's ever tried to do it) is off to him.
Fascinating! Thanks so much for this interesting description. Sounds like quite a complicated process!

Don't like ads? Become a BCP Supporting Member and kiss them all goodbye. Click here for more info.

Trip Reports
Beautiful! Are these blooming now? Is this a good year for desert flowers?
We have had some decent rains recently, but not aware of the bloom status this year, whether or not its good, bad, or neutral. Its probably a month early, or maybe 2, for the best chance of catching blooming flowers.